ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 08:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:07 AM

A friend of mine, who is a new Casita owner, is adamant about immediately adding a third tail light to the
back of his Casita.

While I understand for some it's a 'peace of mind' addition, I can recall only one instance in this entire forum
where someone was rear-ended.

My feeling at this point is that if someone is behind my large white (which is, incidentally, the safest color
for the highway) trailer, be it day or night, and they fail to brake to avoid hitting me, they were either not
paying attention to their driving or were tail-gating, and a third tail light won't make a hoot of a difference
in them rearranging my back-end.

At this point, I don't plan to add the extra light; however, for night driving (which won't be often),
I will be adding the reflective tape around the belly band.

Just wondering how many of you feel the third light is really necessary?

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#2 campnagle

campnagle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:RV-ing, Treasure hunting,Nature walking,Hiking,Biking, doing projects on RV

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:03 AM

I think that the 3rd break light is so common on everything now that it's just expected. I do not have a 3rd light but do have the LED upgrade kit and can see the difference in the "glow" just from the driver's seat. It is much brighter,sharper, crisp and can be seen with the same intensity from a mile away. I think this is a better option with instant results. The 3rd brake light is a good option but I feel comfortable with just the LED upgrade kit.

Attached Images

• Casita_pick_up_007.jpg

Edited by campnagle, 07 October 2007 - 05:08 AM.

Camp Nagle
07 17' LD "MONSOON"
14 Silverado LT 4WD 5.3 V8
GREAT STATE OF ARIZONA

#3 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,470 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:34 AM

Necessary? Probably not, but anything that will 'awaken' the following-to-closely, cell phone using, i-Pod listening or inebriated driver behind you when you brake or turn is just one more sway control, weight distribution, safety chain type precaution. You hope it's never needed.

Adding the LED upgrade to the existing tail lights is a definite improvement. However, with the high hoods of the truck/SUV designs and high sitting position of the eighteen-wheeler drivers, a third, and even fourth, light located higher on the back of the trailer will be more in their line of sight. In addition, think about the second vehicle behind you. Can they see the tail lights of your trailer? With a vehicle immediately behind you, the driver of the second one may not be aware of your tail light signal and will only react when the first driver signals. Higher lights on your trailer may be more visible to that second driver.

Harold

#4 garwood

garwood
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 09:29 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

The "Center High Mounted Stop Lamp" (CHMSL) was indeed designed to be seen by cars behind the car immediately behind you. The theory is that the CHMSL can be seen through the windows of the car immediately following the car that is braking and give cars further back in the pack added warning that cars are stopping ahead of them. The idea was to reduce chain reaction rear ender collisions and I believe there have been some federal studies that demostrates that it works. Some vehicle have been exempted from the requirement to have CHMSLs because they have very high mounted running and stop lamps (A Pontiac van from a few years ago comes to mind).

#5 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

Eileen, Third Tail Light.

If I could overcome my reluctance to punch holes in Mi Casita Linda I'd probably install the extra set of tail lights in the top corners of my trailer along with a third, brake-only light near the top of the window. I'm too much of a klutz.

I did put on the retro-reflective tape, red on the back half, white on the front third. As I was working from a roll of mixed red and white tape, I did a LOT of cutting. As I had plenty of spare red tape, I applied strips of red retro-reflective at the top of the back window and on the back of the AC as high as I could get it. I also cut, very carefully, "Mi Casita Linda" from the two inch high red tape to put just below the rear window. I'm pleased with the effect and figure on posting about it shortly, when I can add a good picture.

At the River Valley Egg Rally in Arkansas this September I saw two examples of blue retro-reflective tape on the belt band. Very pretty, very good jobs, benefitting from the patience to get one inch wide tape. Bottom edge trimmed with a razor, as my younger daughter did for me just the other day. From a personal, safety perspective, I prefer the red tape on the back half of Mi Casita Linda.

Lane and the Poodle Girls who figure any additional lighting is for their benefit.

PS What usburros said.
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator

#6 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:37 PM

Thanks, guys.

Based on the information you've all provided, which has been quite convincing, I'll certainly consider changing my mind.

Lane, looking forward to seeing a photo of the south end of your Casita.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#7 horsefolk

horsefolk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:30 PM

sad.gif I have 4 extra LED brake/turn signals two at the bottom of the back window and two at the top of the back window and the Bargmann LED modules in the stock Casita lights. LED brake light come on fractionally faster than incandescent and at approx 60 MPH that equates to approx 20 feet extra alert time to the tailgating, cell phone talking, reading his newspaper, putting on makeup dimwit behind you and with a 17' trailer.....to all the "prove it", "argue for the sake of arguing" people on this forum, this came from a Calif Hiway Patrol person and a Florida Sheriffs deputy. angry.gif
Chuck
2008 Oliver Elite
"the Dog House"
Chuck n Geri
Midget, Bobbie, Scottie

#8 J & M

J & M
  • Casita Club Member
  • 42 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:48 PM

[ I have 4 extra LED brake/turn signals two at the bottom of the back window and two at the top of the back window and the Bargmann LED modules in the stock Casita lights. LED brake light come on fractionally faster than incandescent and at approx 60 MPH that equates to approx 20 feet extra alert time to the tailgating, cell phone talking, reading his newspaper, putting on makeup dimwit behind you and with a 17' trailer.....to all the "prove it", "argue for the sake of arguing" people on this forum, this came from a Calif Hiway Patrol person and a Florida Sheriffs deputy.
Chuck

Chuck:
Would you please post pictures and let us know part numbers and source for parts of your mods?

Thanks, John
John & Mary
"Poco Casa"
'05 17' LD
'02 4Runner

#9 BlackDogs

BlackDogs
  • Forums Member
  • 199 posts
  • Local time: 10:29 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

If you don't want to punch holes in your Casita try the Flash-Steady 3rd brake light from TopServe. It sticks to the inside of the back window with suction cups. A little pricey, but it has 10 large high intensity LEDs. You will need a logic module from JC Whitney (126699 LOGIC CIRCUIT FOR 3RD BRAKE LIGHTS). Figuring out the Casita wiring harness under the board in the back is the fun part. On a recent 3,000 mi trip, I had to re-stick it to the window once or twice, but it worked great. It can be easily unplugged for storage or use on another vehicle.

#10 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)
  • Casita Club Directory #:1387

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:20 PM

I installed the top outside brake lite assy on my Casita
After folowing Keith to a Rally and he has them as we went over I hill lost site of his Trailer rear and he stepped on Brakes the top showec very well and there was stopped traffic in front

http://www.casitafor...?showtopic=2655

Casita_mods_431.jpg Casita_mods_425.jpg New_20brake_20_20turn_20signal_20and_20running_20lights_20installed_20on_20Our_20Casit_20001.jpg

Edited by LindyW2, 17 October 2007 - 11:28 PM.

Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Casita Freedom Deluxe + Mods (A Hillbilly's Heaven)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali (Big Bessy) 5.3L V8 3.42 Rear axle
Prodigy brake controller
My Pictures http://community.web...m/user/lindyw43

#11 RangerDuke

RangerDuke
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Camping, NASCAR races, DO cooking

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

rolleyes.gif Mr Ray Lane,Would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with the address on where to acquire the reflective tape for the casita. Please let me know the stock # along with an address. Thanx. Ranger Duke
Ranger Duke & Bev
San Antonio, Texas
2007 17'SD "Casita Bonita"
TV 2007 Nissan Frontier NE
"We B Cruzing"

#12 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

Duke,
I got impatient and didn't do it right. I found an RV supply place in Fayetteville, NC, and bought enough of their tape to go around my Casita. The do-it-wrong part was that I thought I was getting solid color white until I saw them cutting. What I got was 2" wide alternating white and red. I then attacked it with scissors rather than admitting that I was wrong. I cut the tape in half lengthways, thereby creating a roll of 1" wide tape. I then cut it where the colors changed, wiped the belly band with an alcohol swab and proceeded to paste it up in strips. I then took a razor blade and ran it along the edge of the tape and the belly band to smooth out the itty-bitty overhang. I did the back in red, the front in white and then put strips of red at the top of the back window and at the back upper edge of the AC cover. It hasn't peeled off in the about four months since I applied it and nobody's hit my trailer yet.L
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator

#13 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Sunshades now in a Blue-Grey color
  • Casita Club Directory #:1021

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:59 PM

We added a back break light and hope that it will provide more awareness to cars behind us. Also added the two LED brake lights as well. Wish Casita would add this to all Casita's going out of the plant. I would of gladly paid the extra charges to have them already added on.

Attached Thumbnails

• Break_Light.jpg

Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Casita 2005 Freedom/Spirit Deluxe
Tundra, 5.7 2008

Custom Casita Sunshades, tie downs
Sunsahde items for awnings now made in Sea Blue

#14 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

My high mount lights look like:

530_Brake_lights.JPG
This mod is shown and described at:
http://tinyurl.com/35vwmg

The OEM lights were replaced with LED units.
http://tinyurl.com/2w5dne

Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#15 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE (RangerDuke @ Jan 10 2008, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rolleyes.gif Mr Ray Lane,Would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with the address on where to acquire the reflective tape for the casita. Please let me know the stock # along with an address. Thanx. Ranger Duke
The rear bumper type of tape is available at Wal-Mart in the tail-light department!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2706.jpg

Edited by Patrick M., 14 January 2008 - 06:55 AM.

Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.