36 replies to this topic

#1 bluebeard

bluebeard
  • Casita Club Member
  • 112 posts
  • Local time: 12:20 AM
  • Interests:FISHING CAMPING ENJOYING MY PET MACAWS

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

I have a 1996 16' SD with the 7500 air conditioner. What size generator do I need to run it??? WILL THE 1000 OR 2000 HONDA WORK ??? i ASKED A GUY AT HONDA SHOP & HE SAID I MIGHT NEED TO HOOK UP 2 OF THE 2000 IN PARALELL TO GET THE POWER I NEED.. WHAT ARE YOU USING??? THANKS, BLUEBEARD
KENN & PAT CONLEY
SQUWAKER & SASSY
'95 16' SD w/ CAGE
TV -'04 GMC / XUV
" TAKE HOME THE BOOTY "

#2 Tom R

Tom R
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 09:20 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (bluebeard @ Jul 30 2007, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 1996 16' SD with the 7500 air conditioner. What size generator do I need to run it??? WILL THE 1000 OR 2000 HONDA WORK ??? i ASKED A GUY AT HONDA SHOP & HE SAID I MIGHT NEED TO HOOK UP 2 OF THE 2000 IN PARALELL TO GET THE POWER I NEED.. WHAT ARE YOU USING??? THANKS, BLUEBEARD

What is the BTU rating on the A/C ? I think the 2000i should run a 5000 or 8000 BTU from what I read.
The A/C compressor takes more power to start it than it does run so you may not be able to run anything
else while the A/C is on. Some people run the A/C on high all the time, that way it don't cycle on and off as much.

#3 The Colonel

The Colonel
  • Casita Club Member
  • 122 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2086

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

What is important is the AMPS.
Check your air unit and you will find a tag that will tell you how many watts and amps it draws. I have a 17SD 1999 front mount air unit. It needed 15 amps to run and would kill my Honda 2000. I replaced the air unit with a more modern unit and it only draws 8.5 amps and runs just fine with my Honda. The unit was under $200.00 which is a lot less than buying a second Honda generator.

The coolist thing is it has a remote control!

Marc
TV- 05 Toyota 4-Runner
Casita Name - 5-Runner
1999 SD
"Always Enchanted"

#4 Gary J. Carter

Gary J. Carter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Boating, RVing, Backpacking, etc.<br />Music (Guitar, Keyboards, Singing)<br />Amateur Radio, Amatuer Astronomy<br />Woodworking, Metalworking<br />Travel to new places<br />Making new friends
  • Casita Club Directory #:2433

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

We live in Texas where A/C is a big requirement in the summer months - especially in the Big Bend are where we frequently visit.

You will find many satisfied Casita owners who have no problem with a lone Honda 2000i generator. As I perused the list of 2000i advocates I found many had newer model Casitas with the newer, persumably more efficient A/C units. Our 2001 Casita came with the Coleman 6727 roof-mount. I think it pulls around 1200 watts running - not sure exactly what the start-up current peaks at (3X?) but that's where the single 2000i solution struggles. I did not want to worry about the A/C lockup issue nor was I keen to fiddle around with the A/C if I wanted to use the microwave.

At first glance the Honda 3000i seemed to be the right solution. But upon closer inspection I found that the unit, fully loaded with oil, gas and electrolyte, weighed in at a whopping 180lbs! The thought of loading and unloading this, even if I put casters on it, was not something I cherished.

We then looked at the Dual Honda 2000i solution and that's what we settled on. It is a bit higher price compared to the 3000i but at 50lbs. each loaded with oil & gas, they are much easier to individually load/unload. This setup provides an extra 1000 watts of power (e.g. run the microwave or coffee pot without turning off the A/C!). The parallel cable is a snap to hookup (four screws are replaced on the front bezel to mount the adapter on one 2000i and there are three wires to connect the second unit when used as a pair). We also bought the external tank (6 gal capacity) and an extra set of fuel caps to "permanently" attach the fuel supply lines from the auxilliary tank. (simple adaptation - no tools required). Having the extra fuel caps makes it easy to pack up and go - just put the unmodified caps back on the generators and they are ready to travel.

One last benefit over a single, larger unit - when traveling in the cooler months when no A/C is required, we just need to carry one 2000i generator.

Good luck with your decision!

Regards,

Edited by Gary J. Carter, 01 August 2007 - 03:47 PM.

Gary, Cynthia, & Samantha

2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe, a.k.a. "OverEasy"
Kumho 205QR-14 Radial 857
Dual Honda 2000i Generators
2002 GMC Sierra HD Duramax
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
Reese Anti-Sway bar
CasitaClub Directory #2433
Callsign: KL7NE

#5 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 11:20 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

Consider the Yamaha 2400i - same noise level and Honda, inverter technology, ecno mode (by another name), more power and while heaver than a Honda 2000 it is way less weight than a Honda 3000.

I have both the Yamaha 2400i and a Honda 2000i. Used the Yamaha with a Scamp 5th wheel and will hope to use the Honda with my 07S17 SD.

See the Yamaha installation at:
http://tinyurl.com/34ncwg

Edited by Don, 02 August 2007 - 08:44 AM.

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#6 cathy

cathy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Camping
  • Casita Club Directory #:2272

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:55 AM

Hi Bluebeard,
I called Casita yesterday & Jonathon told me a Honda 2000 would run the A/C only,...and the 3000 watt generator will run everything..

CC #2272

#7 bluebeard

bluebeard
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:FISHING CAMPING ENJOYING MY PET MACAWS

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:45 AM

THANK YOU TO YOU ALL !!!!! I KNEW I WOULD GET SOME GOOD INFORMATION POSTING HERE... THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED... I THINK I'M GOING WITH THE HONDA 2000 & IF I NEED MORE POWER I WILL ADD ANOTHER 2000 AS NEEDED..... THANKS AGAIN & HAPPY TRAVELS TO ALL... BLUEBEARD.....
KENN & PAT CONLEY
SQUWAKER & SASSY
'95 16' SD w/ CAGE
TV -'04 GMC / XUV
" TAKE HOME THE BOOTY "

#8 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:05 PM

My first test of new Honda 2000i with new 07C19SD - dissapointing. Generator started the air conditioner and all was well until after the air conditioner cycled. When the compressor tried to kick in again the generator failed and cut the AC power. Had to shut down the Honda, wait 30 seconds and then restart it. Second test was repeat of the first. This was all done with the eco mode off, air temp 95 degrees, about 60 feet above sea level and in the shade of my carport.

My Yamaha 2400i runs the air conditioner in it's eco mode along with lights and TV (not the microwave though).

Will be doing more testing and post more info later.

Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.

#9 meanders

meanders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:travel<br />biochemistry
  • Casita Club Directory #:2338

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:24 PM

Don
Please keep us updated on 2000i, we are thinking about purchasing one, but in Texas, AC is a MUST.
Thanks
meanders
meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338

#10 Iowan

Iowan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:26 AM

I had the same experience as Don with my 2000 17' SD with front A/C. Traded the Honda 2000 for a Yamaha 2400is It works well. I was told that the Yamaha could handle a 3000 Watt surge for 10 seconds. This is a big help when starting the compressor on the A/C. My A/C unit is rated at 1110 Watts and 10,000 BTU.

#11 Casita Colorado

Casita Colorado
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:21 AM

i have the dual eu2000i setup as well, works like a charm

#12 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (bluebeard @ Jul 30 2007, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cannot imagine that a single 2000i won't handle it as it does the 8300 BTU A/C on my 17SD, but to be sure, you might allow your Honda dealer to demonstrate on your Casita. If you're going to buy one there, they darned well ought to have a demo unit to show you.

The other solution is, as someone mentioned, to get a more efficient unit of similar size. Modern window-type A/Cs have EERs (efficiency ratings) of 10.5 or more, meaning for every 5000 BTU, the unit should not requite more than about 5.5 amps while running*. By that EER, a 8000 BTU unit shouldn't take over 8.8 amps after starting. A single 2000i will handle that easily since it is rated at 13 amps or so, and over 16 amps surge. The initial start-up of a compressor is high, bleeding off VERY quickly to the rated draw.

Bob
*Just bought a small 5000 BTU unit w/ andn EER of 10.8 and they said max load was 5.5amps.

#13 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

OK, think that I have done enough testing to satisfy myself that the Honda 2000 would be marginal for my needs so will post some observations, then hook up my Yamaha 2400 and go on to the River Valley Egg Rally.

My Casita is a 07C17SD and the air conditioner has the optional electric heat strips installed. Went back and took a look at the weather conditions on the first testing I did and the temperature was not 95 degrees but actually 98 or 99 degrees at the time of the test. The second testing day was 100 or 101 degrees at the time of the test. The third day was 88 degrees during the testing and the fourth day was 99 or 100 degrees during the testing. I live in Trinity, TX, have been told that we are about 60 feet above sea level and testing was performed in the shade of a carport.

The specifications for my air conditioning unit are shown in the pictures below. Would welcome any comments on the numbers, from you electrical experts out there.

The Honda is a EU2000i that at the beginning of the first day of testing had about 5 hours of use. During each testing day the Honda was run approximately 2 hours.

Summary of testing .

Only on the third day of testing, when the temperature was 88 degrees, was the Honda able to restart the air conditioning after it had cycled off. The Honda was not able to do this in ECO mode, only when ECO was turned off.

The Honda was able to run the 700-watt microwave, all lights, overhead fan and water pump while operating in the ECO mode. No attempt was made to run the electric heating element in the water heater or the air conditioner.

On the other days, when the temperature was 98 degrees or warmer, the Honda, with ECO mode turned off, was able to initially start the air conditioning unit but unable to restart the unit after the air conditioner compressor had cycled off.

Upon conclusion of the Honda testing, with the temperature at 99 or 100 degrees, I tested my Yamaha EF2400is generator. This generator was used for two years with my Scamp 5vr so my guess is that it has had a couple of hundred hours of use. The Yamaha runs in its version of the Honda ECO mode at all times, there is no switch to turn it off. It was able to start and restart the air conditioning unit without a problem. At one point all inside lights were on, the range hood vent fan was on, the bathroom vent fan was on, the refrigerator was on, and the Yamaha was able to restart the air conditioner after a compressor cycle off.

True, the Honda is lighter, uses less gas and has an extended run tank but, since it does not work for me the Yamaha will get a few more miles looking off the back bumper of a egg.

Sorry for the long post, just thought it would be best to say it all at once.

Attached Thumbnails

• AC_specs_005.JPG
  • AC_specs_006.JPG

#14 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:58 AM

Don, how long was the "cycle-off" times when the Honda failed to restart the A/C? A very short time may contribute to the difficulties the Honda had in restarting the A/C.
Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.

#15 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:16 AM

Patrick - the cycle off time was about 5 min.