39 replies to this topic

#1 Debbie/ Riley & Bud

Debbie/ Riley & Bud
  • Casita Club Member
  • 69 posts
  • Local time: 10:38 PM
  • Interests:nature photography, dogs, camping, birding

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

I just brought home my 199 17' SD today. My towing vehichle is a Ranger and it handles the weight fine, but it is obvious to me since the tongue and hitch drop down that I need a WDH. I have researched them and understand what they do. I just need advice on which one is the best for the money and are there any places that you recommend buying them from.

dancinsmilie.gif
Debbie
and her Canine Companions
Riley and Jack the Irish Terriers

#2 Jerry & Christine

Jerry & Christine
  • Casita Club Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:00 PM

If you a archives search, there is plenty of discussion about them. There are two basic types of Weight Distributing Hitches(WDH's), Reece/Draw Tite and Equalizer. You may be able to get by with a "single bar" hitch because the Casita is a fairly light trailer. ,Look for one that will be ez for you to connect to your SD. You also need to consider a sway control device if your trailer didn't come with one.

After you decide which tpe you want, google on that type and there are a whole bunch of folks selling them and you can find the best price for the one you select..

Make sure that you understand how to load the trailer because you must have ~10-15 % of the trailer weight on the tongue and not exceed the rated tongue load of your reciever hitch. Good luck in your search.

Edited by Jerry & Christine, 13 January 2007 - 02:05 PM.

#3 Ben Idle

Ben Idle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 692 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Debbie/ Riley & Bud @ Jan 13 2007, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just brought home my 199 17' SD today. My towing vehichle is a Ranger and it handles the weight fine, but it is obvious to me since the tongue and hitch drop down that I need a WDH. I have researched them and understand what they do. I just need advice on which one is the best for the money and are there any places that you recommend buying them from.

I believe the Reece, DrawTite, and Valley Hitches may all be made by the same manufacturer and any one of them would serve your purpose. Here is a URL I kept from someone's post, but I don't know anything more beyond that about the company: http://www.cheaphitc...products_id=986
Ben

2006 17' LD Casita
Owned and operated since Nov. 2005

#4 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)
  • Casita Club Directory #:1387

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:56 AM

Here is a Link to another company and there shipping is very reasonable

http://www.etrailer....m5/merchant.mvc?
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Casita Freedom Deluxe + Mods (A Hillbilly's Heaven)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali (Big Bessy) 5.3L V8 3.42 Rear axle
Prodigy brake controller
My Pictures http://community.web...m/user/lindyw43

#5 kd5fuy

kd5fuy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 08:38 PM
  • Interests:Ham Radio, Callsign KD5FUY
  • Casita Club Directory #:1524

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:27 AM

I have used a DRAW-TITE 3205 wdh on my Nissan Frontier Double Cab pickup for 13,104 miles. I have towed as far west and north as northwest Montana and all over the east coast. The hitch mounted with no modifications on the 2005, 17' FD. I know that it has been said that you would have to modify the Casita, but I did not change any thing. This hitch (single arm) is much lighter than the double arm (about half) and is adaquate for the job. I also use a sway bar. Never leave home without it. Thanks for your time. Jimmie CC#1524

Edited by kd5fuy, 15 January 2007 - 08:29 AM.

#6 AZCharlie

AZCharlie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 142 posts
  • Local time: 09:38 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2295

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

Reese, Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch are all manufactured by the same company. If you look at the eTrailer, website, you may find that you will pay $30 more for a branded 3205 compared to their "generic model" that is made by exactly the same company. I liked eTrailer because of fantastic customer service and the fact that they often have a 99 cents shipping special. On a 54-pound hitch, that's a big savings.

I have a 3205 on my Ranger 4.0 4WD. It seems to ride a little harsher, but it's a light truck, and I feel safer with the WDH. Also, my back bumper doesn't dip down at all.

There can be fitting issues with the Casita trailer. Somepeople have had to modify the A frame because the 3205 butts up against the propane tanks. (I had my tanks moved back a few inches.) There are posts here and on Casita Forum about this issue.
Charlie & Mary
Chandler, AZ
1994 Spirit Deluxe 16'
"The Desert Igloo"
1995 Ford Ranger 4.0L

#7 Debbie/ Riley & Bud

Debbie/ Riley & Bud
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:nature photography, dogs, camping, birding

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

Thanks! I spoke to Casita today and they will install the WDH and make the necessary changes to the tongue for just over $500. It seems a little high, but then I won't have to worry about the job being done right smile.gif
Debbie
and her Canine Companions
Riley and Jack the Irish Terriers

#8 Ben Idle

Ben Idle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 692 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Debbie/ Riley & Bud @ Jan 16 2007, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks! I spoke to Casita today and they will install the WDH and make the necessary changes to the tongue for just over $500. It seems a little high, but then I won't have to worry about the job being done right smile.gif

Debbie,
When I was buying our Casita about 1 1/2 years ago, the salesman volunteered that I could save about $200 by bringing the same WDH that they were going to put on, if I came without one. I got the idea that Casita didn't particular like to stock a lot of these big, bulky hitches, but just kept a few when a customer came without one. I bought the same WDH locally, took it with me, and I did save a little over $200. It depends on if you want to bother to get it yourself and transport it to Rice.
I am assuming that you meant you were buying the WDH from them and I am also assuming that the same thing would be true now.
Ben

Edited by Ben Idle, 16 January 2007 - 05:33 PM.

2006 17' LD Casita

#9 SandiJay

SandiJay
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Travel, photography, computers, archeology, geology, architecture, history, Anazazi Indian sites, national parks, state parks, growing roses.
  • Casita Club Directory #:2666

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

Hi,

I saved perhaps $200 by purchasing a Reese WDH at Camping World. It was on sale. Jonathan at Casita installed it. He even demonstrated its use.

DSC_0004.jpg

Reese WDH being installed. They welded part to the Casita's tongue and painted the weld sites.
Sandi & Jay Goode
Plano, TX
MYBLOG
2007 17' Freedom Deluxe
Delivered: Jan. 24, 2007
Tow: 2000 Honda Odyssey
Navigation: Honda Navagation with NavTec™ maping
Additional Navi: Hewlett-Packard IPAQ 4700 with HP Navigation
Navigation Software: Mapopolis using NavTec™ mapping

#10 Greg & Ann

Greg & Ann
  • Casita Club Member
  • 408 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:(usetaowna) Spirit 17
  • Interests:Re-re-retired 6/2012. I spend my idle hours flying, home improvement projects, travelling, western movies, teaching, old west history, BBQ'n, and of course, camping!

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:41 PM

I just installed a Reese single bar hitch and honestly it doesn't seem to do much to raise the rear of my Ranger (I wasn't impressed with 1/4 inch!) or change the ride much. I was thinking about getting a newer trailer so was reluctant to weld the new hitch permanently onto the old trailer. My advice: get a double bar hitch. They seem to be the same $ and have to be more effective than the single bar type.
Lompoc, CA
'02 17' SD/ '10 Tacoma
"Casita owners of the world, unite!"

#11 Ben Idle

Ben Idle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 692 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (Greg & Ann @ Mar 26 2007, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just installed a Reese single bar hitch and honestly it doesn't seem to do much to raise the rear of my Ranger (I wasn't impressed with 1/4 inch!) or change the ride much. I was thinking about getting a newer trailer so was reluctant to weld the new hitch permanently onto the old trailer. My advice: get a double bar hitch. They seem to be the same $ and have to be more effective than the single bar type.

Greg,
I have long wondered about this. It seems to me that it would have to throw something slightly out of kilter. Perhaps it works in some situations, but I can't see the point in a single arm WD hitch unless it is to save weight.
Ben

Edited by Ben Idle, 27 March 2007 - 04:08 AM.

2006 17' LD Casita

#12 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local time: 11:38 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:10 PM

I designed and installed my own bolt-on adapter to avoid welding the lift brackets to our Casita. Like you, I may want to use my WDH on another vehicle.

My question about your Ranger is, "Was it level before you tried to raise the rear?" The purpose of a WDH is to distribute the hitch weight to all three axles, not the load you added to the TV before installing the WDH.
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#13 kd5fuy

kd5fuy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Ham Radio, Callsign KD5FUY
  • Casita Club Directory #:1524

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

Greg & Ann
I do not understand your hitch only dropping a quarter inch without the WDH. That ranger should drop at least 3 to 4 inches with 400 lbs at a appx. point appx. 12" inches fron the bumper. If you are using air lifts or something simular you would not need a WDH. I suspect that you may not be set up properly. The spring bar should be tightened until it is level. Your hitch ball should be 20" high while sitting on the level with out the trailer connected. I use the single bar WDH because it weihgs 55lbs. The double bar type weighs 95Lbs. The trailer does not dip and push with the WDH. I consider this a plus PLUS on rough roads. Believe me, I know rough roads when I see one, I have to cross Louisana when I travel west. Thanks folks. Jimmie in MS EGG

#14 Harold Gill

Harold Gill
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Massage, Camping, Fishing, Outdoors
  • Casita Club Directory #:2867

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

wether or not to use a WDH? I liked the example of the 'teter toter'. Now on some SUV's and Jeeps the distance between rear axle and hitch ball can be very close (12-16 inches) compaired to a long bed pick-up (2-3 feet).
Would it be logical that the short distance would make it less of a need to use a WDH since the front of the TV is less likely to be effected by 'hitch weight'.
I am using a GMC Safari TV. I replaced the shocks with air shocks pumped up to 90#. This brings the TV back up to level. Towing my 17' SD feels very secure with no feeling of a light front end.

Harold
Harold & Carol Gill Mesa, AZ.
2006 Casita 17' SD HLA; 2008 GMC Sierra 1500

#15 travlinbob

travlinbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Family, travel, surfing the web, researching historical places and events, maps and charts, travel, cars, sailing, light sport aircraft and photography.
  • Casita Club Directory #:3005

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

When I go shopping for a WDH I intend to check out the Equal-i-zer. I believe it can be installed on the Casita without any modifications and also provides sway control. Travlinbob

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/
09 C17SD "Rancho Casita", high lift axle, and 15" load range "D" Marathons
01 Chevy Blazer and 07 Trail Blazer