• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Janis Huggins

Janis Huggins
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 11:36 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

I have a 2 month old Spirit Deluxe, 17' that I am using for work in the mountains of Colorado. One of my biggest frustrations is the closet. All of my blocks, wheel chocks, tools, etc are in the bottom with my hiking boots - any suggestions for some type of shelf organization that will fit with the slanted wall on the bottom of the closet?

I only need to hang raincoat and a jacket - mostly need some way to store tools, shoes and rubber boots without a messy pile!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so that I can get the Casita ready for a more organized field season next summer!

Cheers, Janis (Snowmass Village)

#2 meanders

meanders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:travel<br />biochemistry
  • Casita Club Directory #:2338

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

Welcome!
there have been tons of "mods" on closets in the forum--you might try a search to see where that takes you. The folks here are very, very creative and talented in using that space!
meanders
meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338

#3 jackwhitaker

jackwhitaker
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 12:36 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:19 AM

DSC00070Z.jpg Janis

Don't know if this will help you or not but we got our 17 SD 8-21-06. I would never use the closet for hanging

clothing so we converted it to pantry +. I figured we could always hang our jacket etc. in the TV.

Jack
  • funstuff likes this

#4 Janis Huggins

Janis Huggins
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

Thanks, Jack - that looks great to me...it looks like you are "hanging" the shelves from the bar above - is that how you secured them? Janis

#5 jackwhitaker

jackwhitaker
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 12:36 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:13 AM

Janis,

I used ½” plywood for the shelves. Ύ” dowel stock for the hanging stringers. One screw eye on the end of each dowel and a U bolt clamp on each dowel to anchor the assembly to the closet bar. My wife is a seamstress and made the patterns for the shelves. You can’t see too well in the bottom but there is also a shelf there. She made the patterns from newspaper then transferred them to cardboard and fitted them so they rested snug against the carpet all around and had to cut out for the pipes. She then cut-out the shelves and I drilled sloppy (loose fit) Ύ” holes through the two suspended shelves. We then cut each dowel to length (they are different lengths) and marked where we needed to insert a 3/8” dowel under shelves for support. After marking the shelves location on the Ύ” dowel I drilled a 3/8” hole to insert the 3/8” dowels. She cut a stringer to size in the back of the shelves for added support. There is also a mitered stringer from the floor shelf to the bottom of the middle shelf once again for added support. I know this is a lot of work but it is solid and you can store lots of pantry items. There is also room on the bottom for tools and boots. Hope this helps you.

Jack & Frances
  • funstuff likes this

#6 Janis Huggins

Janis Huggins
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

Hi Jack and Frances - those were just the kind of details I needed. Somehow, I missed learning how to do things like that growing up....you guys are great - thanks so much!!! Janis

#7 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)
  • Casita Club Directory #:1387

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:30 AM

Hi Janis
Here is the Link to other closet mods

http://www.casitafor...?showtopic=1965

There are many great ideas and winds up your preference

also if you leave your bed in place all the time you can use plastic storage bin with 2 wheels to slide under bed I have 1 that is about 20" wide and 42" long works great .
http://community.web...409070502qOwNiH

A very import thing to print out and carry with you is the Casita Manual put together by Gene the Webmaster which you can also find in that link I put above

Here is a link to another helpful list

http://www.casitaclu...p...p;f=2&t=331

You can also add a Aluminum Box from Tractor Supply for added storage Which I did on the tongue it houses the propane tanks hoses cables and so much more
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Casita Freedom Deluxe + Mods (A Hillbilly's Heaven)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali (Big Bessy) 5.3L V8 3.42 Rear axle
Prodigy brake controller
My Pictures http://community.web...m/user/lindyw43

#8 Rosita's Casita

Rosita's Casita
  • Casita Club Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (Janis Huggins @ Aug 25 2006, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a 2 month old Spirit Deluxe, 17' that I am using for work in the mountains of Colorado. One of my biggest frustrations is the closet. All of my blocks, wheel chocks, tools, etc are in the bottom with my hiking boots - any suggestions for some type of shelf organization that will fit with the slanted wall on the bottom of the closet?

I only need to hang raincoat and a jacket - mostly need some way to store tools, shoes and rubber boots without a messy pile!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so that I can get the Casita ready for a more organized field season next summer!

Cheers, Janis (Snowmass Village)

We put most of the set-up "stuff" in the outside back right storage door.

#9 Sandy W

Sandy W
  • Rally Organizer
  • 238 posts
  • Local time: 01:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:none
  • Interests:My grandkids! Like to go camping.

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:59 PM

I am a nut about finding storage spots and organizing things so I can find them. You can buy these drawer units with fewer drawers that are larger - I wanted the 7 drawers of various sizes. They are available at Wal-Mart, etc. See my 2 posts that I put on quite awhile back - I put them on here so you wouldn't have to look them up. Hope this helps! Sandy

Attached Files

• funstuff likes this

#10 Chris B

Chris B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 472 posts
  • Local time: 10:36 PM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

I copied this idea from Don awhile back. I made it so that my bottom shelf was the same height as the bottom of the closet door. I moved the power over and installed a little door to keep the chocks, cranks, and levelers in. You can easily reach it from inside and if you ever change your mind about having the shelves, they come apart. No glue. Materials were cheap, but it took a little patience to make the patterns for each shelf because they are all different sizes and shapes. There are instructions somewhere on the website.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0574.jpg

• funstuff likes this
Chris B
'03 17' Liberty Deluxe
2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Southern California (Orange County)

#11 Sue and Sandy

Sue and Sandy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,703 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 16ft. Freedom Deluxe

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

Janis, We added hooks that screwed into the outside of the closet door (for strength) to hang our coats. We got tired of having to open the door every time. We still keep less used coats inside.

post-176-0-54687300-1405271931_thumb.jpg

2001 16' FD "The Alpine Egg-Spress" #1155
2013 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4

#12 BTrue

BTrue
  • Casita Club Member
  • 66 posts
  • Local time: 09:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe
  • Casita Club Directory #:2513

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

Chris B: Do you still have the templates you used for your closet shelves? Did you get them from Don? I really like this mod and would like to try it.
Betsy
Betsy True & Danny Aerts
Toyota4Runner/17LD
Posted Image

#13 Chris B

Chris B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 472 posts
  • Local time: 10:36 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

I don't have the templates, but they are easy to make out of cardboard. Start with the biggest shelf and work down to the smallest using the same cardboard. It takes time, but it's fairly easy.
Chris B
'03 17' Liberty Deluxe
2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Southern California (Orange County)

#14 Rosita's Casita

Rosita's Casita
  • Casita Club Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:46 PM

We don't keep everything in "Rosita". Bought, from Dollar General, those plastic drawer storage units. Fill them with "stuff" that we need (chocks, wash detergent, green screens, tablecloth, etc.) and haul in back of the Saturn Vue. We just go to the back of the view, open a drawer and get what we need. When we get home, we put in our storage room and put back in vehicle for next trip. Easy, quick, and less space used in Casita. Donna and Charles, "Rosita's Casita"

#15 Sandy W

Sandy W
  • Rally Organizer
  • 238 posts
  • Local time: 01:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:none
  • Interests:My grandkids! Like to go camping.

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:28 AM

You can get some stacking drawer units from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's, etc. which is what I use.

Sandy