• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OKCasitans

OKCasitans
  • Casita Club Member
  • 46 posts
  • Local time: 10:24 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Camping, acoustic music, sailing, canvas and sailmaking, ham radio KC5SMH

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:24 AM

We just purchased two cruising bikes from REI up in Colorado. These will be a nice addition to our Casita travels however we do not have a rack yet. (Had to lay bikes down inside pickup shell).

Since one of the bikes has a "girls frame", ie, top tube slopes down at 45 degree angle, we cannot use most of the racks available. Roof mounting bikes wont work cause we'll need that area for future kayaks.

So, here is a link to our possible solution. I would like to get opinions on this type of rack and guesses as to whether the rack will clear the Casitas hitch wheel crank.

http://www.etrailer....&Category_Code=

BTW, this unit will be inserted into the 2" dual hitch extension which we found at this next site:

http://www.northernt...492929&R=492929

Mark & Claudia Welch
2002 Spirit Deluxe,
"Sooner Schooner"
03 GMC Sierra
Onboard audio: iPod
KC5SMH/2 meter VHF

#2 Ken C

Ken C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 455 posts
  • Local time: 12:24 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD
  • Interests:Kayaking, canoeing
  • Casita Club Directory #:1749

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

I have the same bike rack but only use it on the back of the truck when not pulling the Casita. I have read many threads about some who have had sway problems and some who haven't with bike rack on the back.
I only carry one bike so it goes inside the shell. I also carry a kayak and that is on the roof racks.
About the double receiver you had on your link, I believe I read it was rated for 400 pounds tougne weight, my 17 SD's tongue weight is 440 lbs. Also not sure if there would be enough clearance between the reciever and trailer jack to accomodate that bike rack????

Ken C

Edited by Ken C, 15 July 2006 - 01:41 PM.

2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed, 2005 Casita 17' "Spirit Deluxe"

#3 Tez

Tez
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 11:24 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:14 AM

For the girl type bike there is an accessory you can get that is a tube that clips on the seat post or down tube and then along the headset. This allows the girls bike to be placed on the bike rack. Any bike shop should carry this product.

#4 vagabond

vagabond
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 09:24 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

Greetings:

I've solved the bike rack problem by welding a 2" receiver on Casita "bumper" - voids the warranty; but makes hauling bikes, generator, other "stuff" a whole lot easier.

Jon Bond

#5 OKCasitans

OKCasitans
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 46 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Camping, acoustic music, sailing, canvas and sailmaking, ham radio KC5SMH

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:03 PM

Thanks!

I like Tez's suggestion regarding the girl's top tube adapter.

That should get us by. thank you all.

M

Mark & Claudia Welch
2002 Spirit Deluxe,
"Sooner Schooner"
03 GMC Sierra
Onboard audio: iPod
KC5SMH/2 meter VHF

#6 rutterslo

rutterslo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts
  • Local time: 08:24 PM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:56 PM

Trailer bumpers with appended receivers can be a (major) problem. The weight of two bikes moving up and down, back and forth, can fatally weaken an unreinforced 4 x 4 bumper. It did on a non-Casita after three weeks. There are solutions: reinforcing and also flanges which prevent the bike rack from flexing. Search the site for threads.

My eventual solution was to mount two front fork mounts to a board that fits across the rear of my TV, which is a large SUV. Keeps bike safe, upright,secure, and uses a minimum amount of space -- provided there's enough headroom.
Larry & Judy Rutter
San Luis Obispo, CA
2003 17-LD

#7 Ray & Linda

Ray & Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:49 AM

Ray has a bike. I am thinking of getting a recumbent 3 wheeler bike. Has anyone taken these? I am wondering if the primary way to take them both will be in the TV or Ray's in the Casita. Won't be able to take if can't fit other absolute items into the TV.
Linda & Ray
2006 Liberty Deluxe - The Cabin
2005 Ranger V6 Edge

#8 CarolU

CarolU
  • Rally Organizer
  • 867 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1014

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:49 PM

This is our solution to the bike rack moving back and forth. Jim attached the rack directly to the band around the trailer. The bike rack doesn't move at all. We carry two bikes. If you try to move the bike rack, the entire trailer will move. It's one unit now.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bike_rack_attachment_to_band.jpg

Carol and Jim #1014
2002 17' Liberty Deluxe "Snuggy Buggy"
2010 Honda Odyssey with Res/Nav
Canyon Country, CA

#9 LittleBit

LittleBit
  • Casita Club Member
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Camping (with my 112lb Bullmastiff), reading, road and mountain biking, running, rock climbing, cross country skiing, and snowshoe hiking, wine tasting, movies, meeting new people

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:19 PM

I had this exact bike rack and it is a piece of junk!!! I towed my camper from TX to GA. with this on the back of the camper. My road bike kept falling off even though I bungeed all wheels to the rack and bungeed bike frame to frame of rack. The part that goes over tube kept slidding up and almost off and the foam was ripped by the time I got home. On top of all that, both the road and mountain bike had severe scratches in the frame from the rack!

Not recommended!
Lisa, Kenny, and the Tonka Truck
1996 13' Casita Delux
Towing with 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited... v-8 Hemi :)
Prodigy Brake Controller (eeks, not yet hooked up!)
avid hiker, roadie, and now rock climber :)

#10 CarolU

CarolU
  • Rally Organizer
  • 867 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1014

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (LittleBit @ Jul 23 2006, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had this exact bike rack and it is a piece of junk!!! I towed my camper from TX to GA. with this on the back of the camper. My road bike kept falling off even though I bungeed all wheels to the rack and bungeed bike frame to frame of rack. The part that goes over tube kept slidding up and almost off and the foam was ripped by the time I got home. On top of all that, both the road and mountain bike had severe scratches in the frame from the rack!

Not recommended!

Little Bit

Are you talking about our Hollywood rack??? We've had it for 4 years and it's great.
Carol and Jim #1014
2002 17' Liberty Deluxe "Snuggy Buggy"
2010 Honda Odyssey with Res/Nav
Canyon Country, CA

#11 denise

denise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

You can purchase front-mounted receiver plates that bolt onto your undercarriage frame. Then you can insert any hitch-type bike rack to that receiver. When you aren't using the bike rack you cover the hitch receiver with a frame that holds your license plate. You can find them on the web and they are make, year and model specific.

The rear of our Casita is already in use with a cargo carrier and tool/storage box that takes up the whole back end, so we had to opt for the front mount for our bikes. We looked into the double hitch bike rack system, but as Larry Rutter mentioned, most are not rated for the added weight and possibly might fail, which would be an awful wreck. Hope this helps......

#12 Donald Stahl

Donald Stahl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 519 posts
  • Local time: 09:24 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:23 AM

Yes, I have read of bumper failures from having bike racks/bikes mounted on them. Frankly, I do not think even modifying the bumper with extra welds is a good idea. There is an alternative to the standard bike configuration, and that is folding bicycles. One rather cheapie can be had from Camping World, but is quite heavt at 38 lbs. There are other good machines which can be had through the internet, more bucks but less weight. A folding bike around 25 - 26 pounds with and 8 or 9 speed would do nicely, Some bikes can be had with either a derailler or and internal hub. Ultra lightweight machines for a lot of money can weight a mere 20 lbs., usually not a great choice for the casual rider. Folding bike wheels can be as small as 16 inches or a more popular size of 20 inches. It requires about only 15 seconds to fold them a slip them into a carrying bag. Example - - a folded bike with 20 inch wheels is approximately 12 " X 23" X 33", a compact size that will easily fit in the tow vehicle. One with 16 inch wheels would be - - - 11" X 25" X 27". Don

#13 rutterslo

rutterslo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

People in our bike club who need folding bikes seem to prefer those with the brand Friday. I think they even make a tandem.
Larry & Judy Rutter
San Luis Obispo, CA
2003 17-LD

#14 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)
  • Casita Club Directory #:1387

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:10 AM

My main concern is if you have mounted any thing to your Casita Bumper that you have a Certified welder add supports to the FRAME !!!!!

As the Casita bumper is paper thin

Also you may have to add weight to your tongue to compensate for weight on rear as well as not carry water in tank .
you will feel the difference if there is a tongue weight problem as it will sway alot the faster you go

anim_wow.gif So PLEASE make it Structualy Sound anim_wow.gif
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Casita Freedom Deluxe + Mods (A Hillbilly's Heaven)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali (Big Bessy) 5.3L V8 3.42 Rear axle
Prodigy brake controller
My Pictures http://community.web...m/user/lindyw43

#15 friday

friday
  • Casita Club Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:21 AM

Wow, those Bike Friday bikes are nice but very costly!