#1 mikeprior

mikeprior
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 02:16 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD
  • Interests:Golfing, Skiing, Biking, Hiking

Posted 01 May 2021 - 01:03 PM

My 2014 Spirit Deluxe wiring and water lines were seriously damaged by squirrels this past winter. Got in by chewing thru the electrical access door  for the 30 amp service. Looking for someone in the Lake Tahoe, Reno area that may be experienced with Casitas for repair. Appreciate any comments on good providers

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts
  • Local time: 11:16 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 02 May 2021 - 06:58 AM

Not being from the Reno area, I can't help you on finding a repair shop, but I would offer a few suggestions which can help alleviate that rodent damage in the future once you finally do find one. (Better yet, save yourself a ton of money and do the work yourself. It's not that hard really.) Whatever you do, do not have the work done by Camping World, period! They are the worst, most incompetent, and most expensive places to either buy anything, or have any work done. You've been forewarned...

I removed the silly little "rat door" power hatch and installed a larger locking hatch door with no cord slot in it. I also installed a marine-style 30 Amp twist lock power cord on the outside of the trailer, so now there is no way anything, (rats, squirrels, ants, roaches, etc.) can get in through that area.

And as a side benefit, it allows you access to much more storage space that was previously not accessible with the small hatch as well.

https://www.rvpartsc...-ze102-a-detail

https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

New Electrical Hatch3.JPG  New Electrical Hatch1.JPG  New Electrical Hatch2.JPG

Edited by Euphoria, 02 May 2021 - 07:11 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Local time: 10:16 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 02 May 2021 - 08:01 AM

sorry to hear of the damage. Squirrels are notorious for such acts as that. I had a brother in law who rid his attic of squirrels by releasing his ferret into the attic. Oh, my, it was a melee for several moments, the ferret killed one and the rest vanished forever. This was a ferret that had never seen a squirrel in its life, nor had the city squirrels ever seen a mustelid...but both species knew instantly what their role in life was!

I agree with Euphoria's advice...do not under any circumstances go to Camping World for work. Not even for Stuff..it's overpriced.

• Jerrybob likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#4 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,394 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 02 May 2021 - 08:34 AM

sorry to hear of the damage. Squirrels are notorious for such acts as that. I had a brother in law who rid his attic of squirrels by releasing his ferret into the attic. Oh, my, it was a melee for several moments, the ferret killed one and the rest vanished forever. This was a ferret that had never seen a squirrel in its life, nor had the city squirrels ever seen a mustelid...but both species knew instantly what their role in life was!

I agree with Euphoria's advice...do not under any circumstances go to Camping World for work. Not even for Stuff..it's overpriced.

We did the same thing once....we didn't have ferret so I sent my mother in law up in the attic.....the squirrels never stood a chance!  LOL!

• Hot Toddy and Meadowlark like this

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,379 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 02 May 2021 - 05:16 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the damage.  I live between Reno and Carson City.  First let me tell you DO NOT go to Safari RV in Reno.

We have used a mobile RV repair service in Carson City and they were very good.  It was a simple job and Wes Emory had the part we needed, got here on time and his work was quick and efficient.  We would use him again.  It's a family business, All Seasons Mobile RV Repairs, 775-781-2306. 

In Reno, we use Washoe Metal Fabricating - auto, trailer, etc repairs, 775-358-6390.  We have used them for years for a variety of things for the SUV and Casita.  We've had some electric work done and they have always done good work.  They have a fenced lot that always has a variety of RVs waiting.

Hope this helps.

• Hot Toddy likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.