• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iwalk

iwalk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 09:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17 foot
  • Interests:Camping all through the U.S.A. Hiking Biking Kayaking. Retired and loving it.

Posted 26 April 2021 - 01:42 PM

I have a issue with my water heater. No power to the element. The. breaker switch is on. The switch on the water heater is on. Still no power. Any ideas......Vern

#2 kpiercec8

kpiercec8
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 11:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 26 April 2021 - 02:54 PM

There is the breaker, the power switch, the high limit switch, the thermostat, the heating element in the circuit.  Any one of these items can be bad.  With the power off and disconnected from the Casita you can check continuity using a multimeter on the ohms setting all the way to the heating element and you will measure a short from the breaker.  The heater element is 1440 watts so the resistance across the heating element on a good one is around 10 ohms. There is a reset button on the hi-limit switch that may be tripped too.  If power was applied to the hot water tank that had no water in it then the heating element is probably bad and will measure infinite ohms with a multimeter...Hope this helps!! KP

Kim & Mary Pierce

#3 iwalk

iwalk
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Camping all through the U.S.A. Hiking Biking Kayaking. Retired and loving it.

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:28 PM

Checked re-set button did not trip. Still no power to element. Checked continuity. I’m still checking nothing yet.....Vern Thanks

#4 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:47 AM

Under that black rubber cover on the outside of the water heater, there are not only those two reset buttons, but if you remove the black rubber cover, (WITH THE TRAILER UNPLUGGED!) you can check the fusible links that live under that rubber cover as well.  Bear in mind, if you remove that rubber cover, there are some exposed 120 VAC electrical components behind it, so make sure the trailer is unplugged, but you need to visually and electrically check them to tell if they are intact or have blown. They sometimes blow, (fuse,) and would need to be checked out to see if they have opened. If they have, then they would need to be replaced. Just one more thing on your check list to troubleshoot.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#5 iwalk

iwalk
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:02 PM

Yah l solved my water heater problem. It was a faulty switch. The little rocker switch in the lower left corner.
Now l have power to the element. Thanks for all the help guys.......Vern
  • Meadowlark likes this

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Local time: 08:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:12 PM

deleted

Edited by Meadowlark, 30 April 2021 - 07:14 PM.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."