Where Is Noah's Ark When You Need It?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local time: 08:42 AM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 18 April 2021 - 12:35 PM

Prepping for a journey.  Checking everything out.  Hooked up the water (we had a brutal Winter at our place) to check for leaks.  I keep a heater in the trailer all winter, so shouldn't have had any problems.  Turned on the valve on the hose outside and water was coming into the floor of the trailer as fast as it was coming out of the hose! default_help1.gif

What a mess!  Cleaned things up and tried again with the little wife outside "Captaining" the valve and me with a flashlight inside the street side rear seat where the water heater is.  None of the water lines indicated any leakage, but at the front of the hot water heater, the water was gushing out like crazy.  Tried to get the bench seat out, but because of all the electrical stuff hooked up it isn't removable..........at least at my skill level.  I'd never get all of that back together!  Since the seat won't come out the only way to access where I saw all the water is to remove the entire hot water heater assembly.........................but it's pop-riveted in.   The freeze plug isn't the problem.  Besides, it's on the outside of the trailer, inside the door.  Anyone know how I can get into that compartment without tearing the entire thing out?

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#2 kanoer54

kanoer54
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Trailer Name:undecided

Posted 19 April 2021 - 05:03 AM

I've never removed that bench but read that it can easily be removed.  Besides the screws along the bottom edge and the several screws on the top the only thing preventing the bench removal is the converter.  Use a dremel or similar small cutting device and cut the fiberglass bench front and vinyl trim from the bottom outside corners of the steel converter case down to the floor.   This will leave the converter shell and the vinyl trim under the converter intact.  The bench should then just lift out.  Hope this helps.

jon

#3 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 19 April 2021 - 05:14 AM

It does (did) John.  Thanks.  I received that same suggestion on the "other" Casita forum and got the bench out yesterday.  After getting it completely out of the way, I realized I need to replace my entire hot water tank system.  I think the wisest thing for this trip is to use the bypass valve and take advantage of the campground showers.  When we get home I'll order a replacement water heater and delve into the journey of removing and replacing the entire system.  Not looking forward to the project as I've way more than my share of projects around the place, but I'm not about to pay the premium it would cost to have someone else do it.

Edited by Chris C, 19 April 2021 - 05:15 AM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#4 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 449 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:33 AM

I have been told to flush my house hot water heaters at least once a year to keep them from filling up with crud on the bottom that will rot out the water heater. Plan on doing that with the Casita, also.

#5 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:46 AM

Turns out my bypass valve was leaking, so couldn't even bypass the tank for the trip.  Bought a brass nipple and completely removed the tank from the circuit.  No leak!!!!!  I'll order a new tank when I get the money and will just use replacing it as one of my many projects.  United RV has the proper water heater and tank for $340 shipped.

Chris

Visit My Website