• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts
  • Local time: 11:06 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:55 PM

We're getting ready to go camping. Today I sanitized the water tank. I'd filled the tank and the pump made one hell of a racket, water was flowing, the faucets  kicked and bucked with air coming out..then  the water slowly dribbled to a stop. Pump was still running, and water was still in the tank.

And I learned that the pump...flojet mod. 3526-144 is no longer being made.

Any advice is mucho appreciated. If I need a new pump...I hope I can get one before the end of the month.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#2 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:09 PM

Okay, figured it out. It was the filter....it was completely covered with some black gunk that I have no idea where it's coming from. However, I also discovered that two of the four screws attaching the pump to the fiberglass housing the water are not in contact with the pump. Meaning, it appears that, when the pump was installed, the installer didn't check to see that the screws actually secured the pump to the fiberglas...he just screwed it in and called it good. The screws are still there, it's just that they aren't holding anything. Which might explain why the pump has always been noisy..it's just being held on by two screws rather than four.

#3 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,377 posts
  • Local time: 12:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:13 PM

Glad you got her working Meadowlark......not sure what the black gunk is????  As for the screws.....not surprised....somebody was in a hurry.....and quailty control is not high priority these days.  Have a good trip....enjoy our beautiful weather. 

Jerry

• Meadowlark likes this

#4 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:55 PM

I dunno what the black gunk was. Maybe it's from my black rubber garden hoses? Do they deteriorate from the inside? I don't leave them out in the sun or the weather, I learned that the sun eats rubber. No matter. My husband re attached the pump to the fiberglass housing the BATTERY, not the hot water heater. I found it irritating that Casita merely slapdashed it, just haphazardly screwing and a flat backed pump on a round housing...that's nuts.  But I've learned my Egg is definitely a Friday afternoon trailer...we've found so MANY things that Casita just botched, or didn't give a damn how it was constructed or installed.

Anyway, we hooked the pump back up, inserted the now nice and clean filter and voil `a, it pumped like a champ and the dB was much, much lower. It was far quieter than ever, and we've been using the camper for 10 years now. How I missed it the last time I cleaned the filter (a few years ago) I don't know, except for the fact that I was underneath the mattress on my belly with a flashlight, accessing the filter. This time we wrestled the mattress out of the camper so we could have plenty of room to work on the pump.

Even more frustrating, there is nothing on the 'net regarding actually cleaning teh filter. I think Euphoria posted it years ago but I was unable to find it.

And more frustration..the pump is a Flojet 3526-144. Flojet no longer makes it. Indeed, I went to Baydo's with the filter in hand, wanting to get a backup one, and the one behind the counter had no idea what it was. But for that matter, she had no idea what an O-ring is, that was the second thing I wanted. I had to explain an O-ring to a woman at an RV sales/service facility. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkay.

When I need to replace the pump, what do I replace it with? I guess I'll have to call Casita.

• Jerrybob likes this

#5 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 781 posts
  • Local time: 02:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:43 AM

There are hundreds of water pumps on the market and some of better quality than your Flo-Jet for at or less money. Flo-Jet probably makes an improved model of your version under a different model number. As long as you can find a water pump with the same size hose connections youll be golden. Get yourself one that is whisper quiet to make up for the decade of unnecessary vibration you experienced with your stock model. Do a CB little research on YouTube when the time comes to replace.

Toddy
  • Jerrybob likes this

#6 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,340 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:43 AM

I personally prefer Sure-Flo pumps over Flo-Jet pumps.

If you're looking for a great replacement water pump and an easily serviceable screw-on filter, I would recommend this one.

https://www.amazon.c...18668798&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.c...18668798&sr=8-9

Edited by Euphoria, 17 April 2021 - 06:15 AM.

• cottons likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#7 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 781 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:32 AM

Hey Big Daddy, your link takes us to our own Amazon shopping cart. You might have to click on the pump in your shopping cart and then post the link for the item on display. I am always interested in a tip on a good device. Thanks!

Toddy

#8 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 234 posts
  • Local time: 03:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:58 PM

I think this is an exact replacement.

https://www.amazon.c...le?ie=UTF8&th=1

#9 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,340 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 17 April 2021 - 06:15 AM

Hey Big Daddy, your link takes us to our own Amazon shopping cart. You might have to click on the pump in your shopping cart and then post the link for the item on display. I am always interested in a tip on a good device. Thanks!

Toddy

Oops! Thanks Toddy. I think I've got it straightened out now. Better links.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#10 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:13 AM

. But for that matter, she had no idea what an O-ring is, that was the second thing I wanted. I had to explain an O-ring to a woman at an RV sales/service facility. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkay.

When I need to replace the pump, what do I replace it with? I guess I'll have to call Casita.

That's trained and qualified help for you.  Some years ago I went to Radio Shack in Lake Havasu City and asked the clerk for a replacement antenna for my shortwave. The clerk's priceless answer: "What's a shortwave?"  :wacko:

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#11 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:33 AM

Well, heck, Dutchman, everyone knows a shortwave is the opposite of a LONG one. I mean, duh? ;-)

#12 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:40 AM

Thanks, everyone. It works like a champ, now. I just needed to clean the filter. 

I think, when the time comes, I'll go with something a bit quieter. Although I have to say that, once we attached it to the fiberglass bulkhead (that encloses the battery), the pump was a LOT quieter. Here we'd put up with it's noise for almost ten years, because it had been 'secured' with only two of the available and present four bolts. Come on, Casita, this is like the tenth item we've found on our 2011 that was improperly installed, or just thrown together, or installed in a useless position. I know life is hard, building trailers in an air conditioned building, but jeezlouise. This gives y'all a bad name.

If I didn't love the camper, and if we hadn't learned how to fix the goofs and screwups left by your techs, I would have used the Lemon Law.

#13 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 449 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 19 April 2021 - 03:43 PM

Is a microwave shorter than a shortwave, which is shorter than a long wave? 😊