• Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:09 AM

Wish that I was out camping somewhere in your greatness. Old Mother Nature wants to give you a bath next week, so I wont be out visiting you. Maybe the next week, if the doctors will leave me be.
Jim

#2 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 449 posts
  • Local time: 01:18 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:57 AM

The Harley Owners Group is having a camp-out at Hords Creek Lake this weekend. I am heading down there today, but sadly, without my Casita. We have had some good showers and I cant get my Casita out, due to the muddy conditions at my place.
As soon as it dries up enough, I am outta here with my Casita and going camping!
Have a good weekend, yall.
  • cottons likes this

#3 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,617 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:39 PM

We really like Hord's Creek COE stayed there several times when my son attended the was a leader at the Rolling Plains Bobwhite Brigade camp south of Valera on a larger private ranch. Lots of Quail in the area. Sites are nice with lots of room between them. 

Only thing I didn't like was on one of our visits a very large rattle snake wouldn't leave our campsite. We were on a site adjacent to the lake. They had not mowed yet because the very last of the wild flowers were still present. Walking our two dogs, I looked back one time, YIKES the were walking with one on each side of the snake. My son tried to run him off, didn't work, the snake rose up very high, challenged and struck at my son. The rest of that trip the dogs go walked on the pavement. 

You need to invest in some gravel and a location closer to the road to park your Casita. It's a shame you can't use it when it get to wet. Are you on some of the red clay often found in areas around Abilene? That stuff is a big challenge when wet!

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#4 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 449 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:54 PM

clover,
Yes, Hords Creek is nice. One side has space between them and the other side is crowded. One side has shade and the other does not have shade. One side has full hook-ups and the other side does not have full hook-ups. It is all mixed-match! LOL
If you are ever back in the area, check out the rv park at Winters Lake. I like going there.
Rattle bugs are bad down here. I have found several of them at my house. Gotta keep a watch out of the corner of your eyes for them.
I am trying to slope the front of my place as to where the excess rain will run to the bar-ditch, then I can gravel a new drive. I will be able to come and go as I please then with my trucks, my Casita, and my motorcycles.

Edited by West Texan, 20 April 2021 - 08:56 PM.

#5 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,377 posts
  • Local time: 11:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:20 AM

Do you folks ever eat rattle snake?  Years ago....we had friends who lived near Yosemite.....they had a small ranch with plenty of rattle snakes.  We use to catch them....skin and gut them and bar b q the meat.....it was actually very good.   One guys wife used to bread the meat and deep fry.....looked like a chicken mcnugget but tasted musch better.  There is a trick to preparing rattle snake....like removing the head....it still has poison.....just curious???  

#6 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 449 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:45 PM

Jerrybob,
Yes, I have had my share of eating rattlesnake.
Sweetwater, which is 44 miles west of me has a rattlesnake round up and a gun/knife show every year. You can search it on the web and see pictures and dates.
They cook a lot of the rattlers that are caught and brought in for the show and serve them to spectators that are interested in eating some. If you get there early and get some of the first cooked, it is better. Sometimes they burn the cooking oil and it gives it a bad flavor, which could turn some people off from eating it again.
Taste like chicken! LOL Just kidding.
They give prizes for the most pounds caught, the biggest caught, and so on.
  • Jerrybob likes this

#7 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,377 posts
  • Local time: 11:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:36 AM

Jerrybob,
Yes, I have had my share of eating rattlesnake.
Sweetwater, which is 44 miles west of me has a rattlesnake round up and a gun/knife show every year. You can search it on the web and see pictures and dates.
They cook a lot of the rattlers that are caught and brought in for the show and serve them to spectators that are interested in eating some. If you get there early and get some of the first cooked, it is better. Sometimes they burn the cooking oil and it gives it a bad flavor, which could turn some people off from eating it again.
Taste like chicken! LOL Just kidding.
They give prizes for the most pounds caught, the biggest caught, and so on.

I've heard about that rattle snake round up.....would be fun to go to and participate.   Love your "taste like chicken" comment.  On the bar b q.....a lot of folks actually say that......the meat is white like chicken.  We used to baste it in a spicy cajun sause......that was some really good eating!   

#8 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 449 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:05 PM

Jerrybob,
You had me at Cajun ....
I used to joke around and say that my next wife would be half Acadian and half Spanish. That would result in me weighing in at 450 pounds plus! LOL
Next to my Mamas meatloaf; my favorite food is Cajun (except mud bug).
  • Jerrybob likes this