• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts
  • Local time: 05:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:38 PM

Sometime ago I posted a question about replacing the ventline range vent. Our had shattered from age..I guess.

After some surfing, we found what we THOUGHT was exactly the same vent. Same appearance, same cheesy little tabs that are supposed to keep the flap from flapping while moving.

Everything went well as to drilling out the rivets, although we found that one hole was a bit larger than the rest, and this had been done at the factory..so we had to use a larger rivet.

The problem arose when we tried to insert the new vent.

The section that is inserted into the side of the camper, that part that sticks inside the shell...was too long. I would say it was about an inch and a half to two inches too long. It didn't fit!

I am including a picture I snipped from a post by Campnagle back in 2014, because this is pretty much what the exposed vent hole looked like on ours.

range vent.JPG

The new vent's sleeve (for lack of a better term) would not fit into the hole, as the metal surrounding the inlet kept it from being inserted. We had to use the old one, which was easily removed from the old vent. It is only about an inch in length.

This is frustrating, while we got it to work, still..you'd think that someone would have 'splained to us that there are different sizes of the exact same vent.

Edited by Meadowlark, 05 April 2021 - 05:39 PM.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 781 posts
  • Local time: 08:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:57 AM

I wonder if they are meant to be trimmed to the size that fits your trailer? Rather than stock a bunch of different sizes, they probably figure the owner/manufacturer would just cut the phalange off to the size that fits. That sure is a less costly way of conducting business.

Toddy

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:17 PM

we thought of that, Toddy, but the plastic just isn't 'cuttable'. I really have no idea how Casita makes them fit...either that or the manufacturer has gone completely over to one size fits all...RVs. Or stick builts. Our Casitas are thin skinned, it appears.

#4 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,339 posts
  • Local time: 06:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:35 AM

we thought of that, Toddy, but the plastic just isn't 'cuttable'. I really have no idea how Casita makes them fit...either that or the manufacturer has gone completely over to one size fits all...RVs. Or stick builts. Our Casitas are thin skinned, it appears.

Oh, but they are very much "trimmable" with the right tool. When I replaced/upgraded my outside stove vent, I had to trim mine as well. They intentionally leave them too long to allow for a custom fit in many different trailers. As you know, no two trailers, even if they are the same model and built back-to-back in the shop, will be exactly the same. To trim the "excess" on mine, I used my 3" compressor driven air cutter/grinder with a cut-off blade. Took longer to measure and mark it than to cut it.

AIRCAT Composite 3 in. In-Line Cut-Off Tool-6525-A - The Home Depot

• Jerrybob likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#5 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:36 AM

Deleted (dupe) 

Edited by Euphoria, 07 April 2021 - 05:39 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:09 AM

Wellllllllll, now I know better, thank you.But we don't have that tool. No matter, it's okay, we merely replaced the new sleeve with the old one.  IT was attached by two cross head screws. Easypeasy.

#7 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,617 posts
  • Local time: 08:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:36 AM

I did the vent hood removal years ago, very happy I did. We cook inside more often than not and never had any issues with residual smells from cooking remain indoors, we use the fantastic fan while cooking. 

That said I had ordered the vent hood removal kit from Little House Customs. This includes a new vent that would normally be the replacement you are seeking. However it is placed on the inside and a grille is used on the outside. The only alternation I had to undertake was to slightly enlarge the hole thru the outside wall of the Casita. 

You might inquire with LHC on having a vent that more closely fits the dimensions that would fit a Casita.

VENT HOOD REMOVAL KIT

1bf4d53a.vent_hood_removal_t.jpgWhile there are several ways to deal with the bulky, oversize, head knocker vent hood, this kit is the way we do it here at the shop. We remove the hood and outside damper, replace the damper with a louvered grill because the outlet becomes an inlet. We provide a new damper for the inside as your old one has yellowed and is to hard to clean. We add a piece of window screen to keep the critters at bay, thin white plugs to cover the vent screw holes, and all the rivets. We also include two pieces of prefinished white molding that must be cut to fit. This molding, with some careful silicone work, closely approximates the lower cabinet flange that is cut away at the factory to install the vent.

If you have a 2010 or later, check out our optional DOUBLE Gustfason light fixture. It’s a great way to utilize the old vent wires that come from the cabinet. Fixture not included with kit. Unfortunately Bargman fixtures are no longer being manufactured, but it doesn’t hurt to ask as occasionally we find some more.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,377 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:11 AM

Oh, but they are very much "trimmable" with the right tool. When I replaced/upgraded my outside stove vent, I had to trim mine as well. They intentionally leave them too long to allow for a custom fit in many different trailers. As you know, no two trailers, even if they are the same model and built back-to-back in the shop, will be exactly the same. To trim the "excess" on mine, I used my 3" compressor driven air cutter/grinder with a cut-off blade. Took longer to measure and mark it than to cut it.

AIRCAT Composite 3 in. In-Line Cut-Off Tool-6525-A - The Home Depot

Love that tool....they also come in very handy when restoring carriages and wagons fron the 1800's.....those folks thought of everything back then!   LOL! 

Edited by Jerrybob, 07 April 2021 - 08:13 AM.

• Meadowlark likes this

#9 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:09 PM

While we seldom cook inside, I haven't found the vent hood to be all that intrusive. But that's just me. I'm betting that if I were a full timer, like Dutchman, I'd probably wish it away, too.

#10 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

I thought I heard my name mentioned, lol.   I had my vent hood and fan replaced a few years ago with an exact same copy. I learned long ago to duck. With the vent hood removed the amount of old grease inside was awesome - I could have had a bonfire with it.  

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#11 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:46 AM

My problem, right off the bat, with the ridiculously large range hood they install, (Hey! I've cooked in commercial kitchens that didn't have range hoods that took up that much space,) is that my wife's 14 Cup Cuisinart coffeemaker wouldn't fit underneath it on the cutting board over the stove. "She who must be obeyed" is not someone you want to be around until she has consumed at least a few cups before engaging in any meaningful conversation. That, coupled with getting tired of having to stoop over like Quasimodo to even see anything on the stove made it the least popular appliance in the trailer early on. Needless to say, it is gone, and I certainly will not rue its demise.

IMG_0006.JPG  IMG_0008.JPG  

Edited by Euphoria, 09 April 2021 - 04:49 AM.

• Jerrybob and NASA42 B like this

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#12 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 442 posts
  • Local time: 09:11 AM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:53 AM

Since I often bake inside, the range hood is handy.  I got tired of the noisy, inefficient fan & switched it out for a Fabulous fan & light.  2 speeds, silent on low, LED light with two brightnesses, and the damper opens & closes from inside the trailer.. 

#13 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:55 PM

How difficult was it to install? I read an Amazon review that said the instructions were worthless.

#14 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 442 posts
  • Local time: 09:11 AM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:01 AM

I don't know if Escape uses the same hood as Casita, but if they do, the most difficult part was removing the old fan assembly.  It is spot welded to the hood.  I did have to do a bit of reconfiguring the external vent opening.  I didn't pay much attention to the instructions...

• Meadowlark likes this

#15 CalCop

CalCop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 125 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 17'
  • Trailer Name:Bacon 'N' Egg

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:27 AM

Several years ago I reinvented the wheel. I gutted the vent line and constructed this in its replacement. 7B52A332-4A2E-4134-B24F-0422BC43FCAD.jpeg

• Jerrybob and cottons like this