#1 Alexjj

Alexjj
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 12:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 16

Posted 16 March 2021 - 08:52 AM

Greetings everyone,

We've got a 2014 16' SD with a front A/C unit. We'd like to replace the standard hand crank tongue jack with an electric one. However, while researching the wiring options, I keep being guided to the closet. I get that the wiring pokes into the closet, but I don't see how I can get in there with the A/C unit in the way.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to wire the electric tongue jack if I can't get to the wiring harness in the closet because of the front A/C? I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thank you kindly everyone,

Alex

#2 MarkyV

MarkyV
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Local time: 01:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 FD/17'
  • Interests:Traveling, camping, ham radio, music.

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:08 AM

You can get a 7 pin trailer plug with the cable and connect the power wire and ground from the Jack to it. Then plug it to the tow vehicle for power.
When finished, unplug the cable to the jack from the tow vehicle and plug in the trailer. You can look up the 7 pin trailer wiring diagram for power wires. Make sure with a meter that your tow vehicle has power on the 7 pin plug first. Some dont and some tow vehicles activate their power when the trailer is connected.

#3 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 791 posts
  • Local time: 01:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 27 April 2021 - 12:44 PM

There is no trick in following your umbilical cord through the hull of your Casita. The top wire in the picture below goes to the positive wire to my electric jack. It is just zip tied along the length of the umbilical. Best of luck!

Toddy

Umbilical Cord.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tongue jack, electric tongue jack, wiring