tires wheels

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RadioBob

RadioBob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 79 posts
  • Local time: 01:05 AM
  • Interests:Ham Radio, Shortwave, GMRS, reading, politics, traveling, and of course...CAMPING!
  • Casita Club Directory #:1382

Posted 10 February 2021 - 01:43 PM

Our 2004 17' Spirit Deluxe has been laid up for way too long and now the wheels are rusty and the tires are...tired.  I think it's time to upgrade to 15" wheels (we have the high-rise option), but the more online research I do, the more confused I get.  The consensus these days seems to be the Goodyear Endurance tires are the way to go, but the prices I see are all over the map, and I am unsure as to the advantages/disadvantages of ST225/75R15 vs. ST205/75R15 tires.  I get the difference in size, but what about function?  Anybody have a fave retailer for both new wheels and tires?  (I know that's like asking who has the best pizza, right?)  Local tire store wanted way too much (like $700 for wheels and tires)!

Edited by RadioBob, 10 February 2021 - 01:43 PM.

Bob Dunn - River Ridge (near New Orleans), LA
Amateur Radio K5IQ
General Mobile Radio Service WPXA535

2004 17' Spirit Deluxe "Gawn Pecawn"
2009 Ford F-150 STX

Casita Club 1382

#2 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 10 February 2021 - 01:55 PM

Call Casita parts and order some of the 15 aluminum wheels with tires mounted and balanced.
I ordered my trailer with those instead of those white wheels. I also got the spare with the aluminum wheel to match.
I honestly couldnt tell you which tire is the best. I have nine different types of trailers and each have different brand and sizes of tires. When I replace them, I put back, what was on the trailer to begin with. Sorry that I cant give you a -flat- out good answer for your -tired- tires.
  • RadioBob likes this

#3 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 791 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 10 February 2021 - 06:48 PM

I've stopped buying tires at Costco because every time you take your vehicle in for balance and rotation, they find something wrong and then sell you a new tire because they don't fix punctures. Granted the price is prorated, but I feel like you buy tires once and pay for them three times.

Also, trailer tires are supposed to be replaced every two years regardless of mileage so I have stopped buying high-end tires for the Casita. I simply don't see the point of spending a lot of money on tires and then putting less than 10,000 miles on before having to replace them. I don't buy marshmallows either, just a good middle-of-the-road tire and then replace them every 4-5 years.

So, I use a local tire shop up the street from my home - San Luis Tire Shop #2. I've gotten to know the guys there and they have always treated me well. He can get any tire the big boys can get and most often for less because his overhead is lower. And, he doesn't nickel and dime me for valves, balance, mounting, etc. There has got to be a bunch of tire shops in and around New Orleans. I've had good luck asking for recommendations for local things like that on the Nextdoor App, and my neighborhood Facebook page.

Toddy

Edited by Hot Toddy, 12 February 2021 - 08:21 AM.

• RadioBob likes this

#4 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,394 posts
  • Local time: 11:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:08 AM

I like Maxxis M8008 E rated tires for our Casita.  Mileage is not the issue with trailer tires for most folks....weather wear (cracks) is the issue.  A good trailer tire should last 5 to 6 years for most of us......I have gone as long as 7 years but that really is a bit long.  I actually bought my last set of Maxxis tires on line...had them shipped to me and took them to a local tire shop to have them installed.  Good luck.  

• RadioBob likes this

#5 RadioBob

RadioBob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Ham Radio, Shortwave, GMRS, reading, politics, traveling, and of course...CAMPING!
  • Casita Club Directory #:1382

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:10 PM

Also, trailer tires are supposed to be replace every two years regardless of mileage so I have stopped buying high-end tires for the Casita. I simply don't see the point of spending a lot of money on tires and then putting less than 10,000 miles on before having to replace them. I don't buy marshmallows either, just a good middle-of-the-road tire and then replace them every 4-5 years.

Toddy:

Interesting concept!  I think I like it.

Bob Dunn - River Ridge (near New Orleans), LA
Amateur Radio K5IQ
General Mobile Radio Service WPXA535

2004 17' Spirit Deluxe "Gawn Pecawn"
2009 Ford F-150 STX

Casita Club 1382

#6 JerryC

JerryC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 560 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 ID
  • Interests:Sightseeing, Hiking, Geocaching, Hot Air Ballooning, Touring this great country in our Casita.

Posted 12 February 2021 - 05:06 AM

Replacement rims from etrailer are $55.00. https://www.etrailer...ar/AM20522.html

My local tire shop mounted and balanced new 225-75-15 endurance for $180 each.  The 205's would be cheaper and would work just as well.  We put lots of miles on our trailer and I just felt more comfortable with the larger tire.  Depending on how you use the trailer, new wheels and tires can be had from eTrailer for less than $200.00 each, with free shipping.

Edited by JerryC, 12 February 2021 - 05:07 AM.

Jerry & Wanda
2016 ID
Deep South
Sometimes home, but mostly gone
http://eggrollings.blogspot.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tires, wheels