• Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:42 AM

Had a little accident yesterday with the Casita, but nothing damaged. Going down the road, I saw a small pothole in the highway. I tried to straddle it, but .... I didnt get it done in time. I hit the hole with the Casita wheel. I was watching the trailer, when I hit it. Well, there was a sudden change in the aerodynamics of the Casita! The door on the outdoor shower popped open! The shower hose and shower head didnt go very far. Before leaving the factory, I had taken a long twisty tie (like bread loafs) and tied everything snuggly inside the pocket. I pulled over, unlocked and closed the hatch door, locked it back closed, and headed back down the road. When I get back home, I will remove the twisty tie and replace it with a velco strap.
Reckon that thinking a little ahead, saved the shower head from damage.
  • NASA42 B likes this

#2 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

Eh, things like that happen, W Tex. We hadn't had our SD for more than twenty minutes...if that long, and were on I-35 northbound when the door popped open at 60 mph. (the rest of the traffic was doing 70!!!) That's when we learned that the door latch was poorly designed and only latched COMPLETELY if you pushed on the door from the outside until you heard a second 'click'.

Even shutting it from the inside wasn't too reliable..one night I awoke while camping in Canyon Village at Yellowstone, to see the entire door wide open. Fortunately we didn't have the cats with us that trip and nothing came inside.

Since then, we put a sliding lock on the inside. As for the outside, there was a lock recall several years ago, we got the new latch and lock and after dinking around with it to get the strike plate just right, never had to do the 'double' click again. STILL...I don't trust it, so when we tow, we have a bungee cord securing the door from the outside.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#3 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
  • Local time: 01:20 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:12 PM

Meadowlark,
Now that I am back home, I will see if I cant make a longer locking arm that will extend further up inside the locking opening. I dont know if it was flex action of the Casita, box, door, or what, but I am glad that I had it tied up in a bundle. I may look into the snap on/off hose connection, if it happens again with the longer latch arm.

#4 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:48 AM

THe hose and spray attachment that came with our 2011 shower hose was too big for the compartment. I don't know who designed it, but with the connector, and the water control handles (you know, hot and cold) and the spray arm and hose all stuffed into that teeny little compartment, I'm surprised it popping open doesn't happen more often! It's just...poor design. Someone Wasn't Thinking when he designed it. . We changed out the handles to something a little more compact (I think,,,it's been a while since we used it) and removed the hose and spray unit completely, storing it elsewhere in the camper. In the winter we stuff a piece of foam to insulate it.

Unrelated, but here's a tip: When I'm taking the camper out of her winter jammies, getting her ready for a new season of camping, I do a lot of nitnoid mainenance. Primarily, I'll go through the camper with  a 7/16" nut driver and a crosstip screwdriver. I tighten everything, the screwdriver for screws, natch, and the nut driver for the acorn nuts ..which my husband tells me only cover the rivet ends, they're not screws, but what the heck, I'm a Mechanic With Tools, and this thing is loose. I've found stripped screws that way.  Of course, there are half a dozen square headed bolts in the camper which I don't have the driver for, but over all...a season on the road will loosen up a lot of fasteners.

The screws that seem to loosen up most often are: the lower hinge on the door of the cabinet underneath the seat nearest the bathroom, and the lowest  hinge on the bathroom door itself. Oh, and check the cover of your Suburban gas furnace, the screws holding that down...they're knurled nuts, actually, are always loosened up by a road trip.

We have a tackle box stuffed full of things: extra rivets, the pop rivet gun, a ratchet and a 1 1/2 socket for the hot water heater anode rod (I think it's 1 1/2"), a small multimeter, pipe tape, fuses for everything (10 and 15 amp, I think), electricians tape, zip ties...what did we do before there were zip ties?, etc.  It fits nicely underneath the seat closest to the bed.

Edited by Meadowlark, 10 June 2020 - 07:49 AM.

• Jerrybob likes this

#5 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts
  • Local time: 11:20 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 10 June 2020 - 11:58 AM

The hose and spray attachment that came with our 2011 shower hose was too big for the compartment. I don't know who designed it, but with the connector, and the water control handles (you know, hot and cold) and the spray arm and hose all stuffed into that teeny little compartment, I'm surprised it popping open doesn't happen more often! It's just...poor design. Someone Wasn't Thinking when he designed it. . We changed out the handles to something a little more compact (I think,,,it's been a while since we used it) and removed the hose and spray unit completely, storing it elsewhere in the camper. In the winter we stuff a piece of foam to insulate it.

Unrelated, but here's a tip: When I'm taking the camper out of her winter jammies, getting her ready for a new season of camping, I do a lot of nitnoid mainenance. Primarily, I'll go through the camper with  a 7/16" nut driver and a crosstip screwdriver. I tighten everything, the screwdriver for screws, natch, and the nut driver for the acorn nuts ..which my husband tells me only cover the rivet ends, they're not screws, but what the heck, I'm a Mechanic With Tools, and this thing is loose. I've found stripped screws that way.  Of course, there are half a dozen square headed bolts in the camper which I don't have the driver for, but over all...a season on the road will loosen up a lot of fasteners.

The screws that seem to loosen up most often are: the lower hinge on the door of the cabinet underneath the seat nearest the bathroom, and the lowest  hinge on the bathroom door itself. Oh, and check the cover of your Suburban gas furnace, the screws holding that down...they're knurled nuts, actually, are always loosened up by a road trip.

We have a tackle box stuffed full of things: extra rivets, the pop rivet gun, a ratchet and a 1 1/2 socket for the hot water heater anode rod (I think it's 1 1/2"), a small multimeter, pipe tape, fuses for everything (10 and 15 amp, I think), electricians tape, zip ties...what did we do before there were zip ties?, etc.  It fits nicely underneath the seat closest to the bed.

Hello Meadowlark,

Please don't attempt to "tighten" those Acorn nuts!!!!! Very bad idea! First, as your DH mentioned, they aren't threaded onto anything. The only thing that holds them in place is the squeezed bulbous end of the compressed rivet. They offer nothing other than to make the ugly rivet base a bit more aesthetic looking than just the smushed rivet base alone. They are not in any way structural, just there for show. The real problem would arise if the Acorn nut was tightly gripping the rivet, and if you were to spin it, you'll likely break the sealant bead that the rivet is bedded with. That would cause you untold grief from leaking around those compromised rivet bases.

And just FYI, those square head screws are called a #2 Robertson square drive. Happy Camping!

Greg

Edited by Euphoria, 10 June 2020 - 12:10 PM.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#6 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 10 June 2020 - 12:37 PM

Uh oh! 🙈🙉🙊

#7 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 02:22 PM

Had a little accident yesterday with the Casita, but nothing damaged. Going down the road, I saw a small pothole in the highway. I tried to straddle it, but .... I didnt get it done in time. I hit the hole with the Casita wheel. I was watching the trailer, when I hit it. Well, there was a sudden change in the aerodynamics of the Casita! The door on the outdoor shower popped open! The shower hose and shower head didn't go very far. Before leaving the factory, I had taken a long twisty tie (like bread loafs) and tied everything snuggly inside the pocket. I pulled over, unlocked and closed the hatch door, locked it back closed, and headed back down the road. When I get back home, I will remove the twisty tie and replace it with a velcro strap.
Reckon that thinking a little ahead, saved the shower head from damage.

While lengthening the lock latch arm may or may not increase the holding power of the latch mechanism, the root fault lies with that silly shower hose/wand that they cram into that all-too-small of a mixing valve locker. It doesn't fit and puts a lot of pressure against the inside of the hatch cover, which as you've found, can pop open under a good bump.

I long ago replaced that 4" H&C mixing valve with a different one that has a quick connect hose fitting, (first link below.) That enables you to remove the hose and store it in another location, thereby alleviating all pressure against the inside of the door. It also allows you to use whatever style and length of garden hose and nozzle you wish to. You're not just stuck with that silly factory shower wand.

It takes all of about five minutes to change it out, and as a side bonus, you'll have much better water pressure than you can get from the factory installed one. Don't forget to buy the garden hose quick release adapter fitting to put on your hose, (second link.)

https://www.amazon.c...91827446&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.c...8PFBV6KH2049CX8

P1404M-55QC-Faucet.gif Outshoweropen.JPG Outshowerhose2.JPG Outshower1.JPG

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#8 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:32 PM

Euphoria,
The last time that I looked under the table inside, my shower box is enclosed. Unless there are screws or something holding a cover on there, I wont be able to change out the shower valve unit.
Reckon that I need to go look at it tomorrow morning. Heck, it may have not been hooked up to the water lines at the factory! LOL

Edited by West Texan, 10 June 2020 - 03:43 PM.

#9 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:12 PM

Thanks, Euphoria, I'll go and loosen the acorn nuts a little. I didn't torque em down. I hope I didn't screw them up.

#10 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 185 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:04 AM

Thanks, Euphoria, I'll go and loosen the acorn nuts a little. I didn't torque em down. I hope I didn't screw them up.

If it doesn't need fixin' then don't fix it.   Loosening the nuts may do more damage than leaving them as they are.   They are just decorative to cover the rivet ends and serve no other purpose.  

Bob

#11 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:07 AM

If you've already done it, (and gotten away with it,) I'd recommend that you just leave them alone. The more you work them, in either direction, the more you risk breaking the sealant loose. If you do that, then you'll be drilling them out and replacing them because that's the only way to guarantee that they will ever again be water-tight.

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#12 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:56 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the warning. I didn't loosen them, this time I listened to my husband-and you, Greg.  I found a website that discussed how to repair a loose or broken rivet.

I didn't torque the acorn nuts. Nor did I feel anything spin...so I think I dodged the bullet this time. I also checked the caps. To make things a little less worrisome, a couple years ago I siliconed every cap on the Casita..the outside. It's a bit unsightly as they darkened or even blackened, but they silicon is only now beginning to pull away from the caps. I think I remember you saying you replaced all your rivets with screws, Euphoria? DO I have that right? I think I might do that. The biggest problem, I think, will be removing the old silicon from the fiberglass exterior.

#13 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 185 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:24 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the warning. I didn't loosen them, this time I listened to my husband-and you, Greg.  I found a website that discussed how to repair a loose or broken rivet.

I didn't torque the acorn nuts. Nor did I feel anything spin...so I think I dodged the bullet this time. I also checked the caps. To make things a little less worrisome, a couple years ago I siliconed every cap on the Casita..the outside. It's a bit unsightly as they darkened or even blackened, but they silicon is only now beginning to pull away from the caps. I think I remember you saying you replaced all your rivets with screws, Euphoria? DO I have that right? I think I might do that. The biggest problem, I think, will be removing the old silicon from the fiberglass exterior.

Silicon is removed by using 70% or higher isopropyl alcohol and a bit of rubbing.   It won't harm the finish. 

Bob

#14 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 11:22 AM

I think I remember you saying you replaced all your rivets with screws, Euphoria? DO I have that right? I think I might do that. The biggest problem, I think, will be removing the old silicon from the fiberglass exterior.

No, that wasn't me. I think that was probably my buddy CCJohn you were thinking about. I remember him doing a complete "rivet-ectomy" on his trailer several years ago. I have replaced a few rivets here and there with screws and nuts, the ones I would call repeat offenders, after breaking more than once. Most of my interior rivets, like the ones around the microwave surround, have been replaced with Riv-Nuts, which are similar in that they are squeezed like a rivet, but have an interior threaded barrel which accepts threaded screws. Now if I ever need to pull it for some reason, I just remove all the screws instead of having to drill out all the rivets ever again.

I got one of these kits and a bunch of extra assorted sized Riv-Nuts and screws.

https://www.amazon.c...FGD31PMNGG8WDQE

All the fasteners in this microwave skirt are not rivets, but are secured with Allen head threaded machine screws, screwed into flush mount Riv-Nuts. (I had to replace my old microwave after it died at age 12.) I went with a stainless steel one this time, to match my new sink and stove. I like stainless steel stuff.

microwave.JPG microwave1.JPG IMG_0008.JPG

Edited by Euphoria, 11 June 2020 - 11:41 AM.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX likes this

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#15 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:17 PM

Darn it, Euphoria, I am experiencing Casita Envy....every time I see one of your fabulous mods, I think, I am going to go and camp in your driveway and insist you do to mine what you did to yours. ;-)

So when you say you replaced your interior rivets with Riv Nuts, does that include the exterior caps and 'washers'?

And did you install them from outside? I confess I don't know much about rivets.

I haven't seen CC John post here in a while, and I know  he's a gear head like you. I hope he's out on the water with that nifty boat he rebuilt a few years ago.

Oh, and thanks, Bob! for the advice on removing silicon.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX and Euphoria like this