• Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:37 AM

I understand yalls situation with the fur babies. I saw somewhere the other day, that this one family built a ramp for their small fur baby to help it up and down the steps. Although a person would have to be careful going up/down the steps and not slip on the ramp placed there.
As for me, going from the Casita to the single step is no problem, but stepping down to the ground, is another thing! As in the old saying Watch that last step, it is a doozy! I am guesstimating that it will be a stroll going down/up the two step modification, compared to the original single step.

#17 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,379 posts
  • Local time: 09:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:17 PM

Our old Tree Walker hound dog had arthritis in her back and walked with her back feet far apart.  We found that all the dog ramps were far too narrow for her so I used 3 blocks of styrofoam (old shipping stuff for our computers) and covered them with fleece material.  They stacked into 2 steps she was able to walk up to get into the 4-Runner.  It was a bit of a hassle but we had to bring her with us because she had a number of health problems.

She had a very sad beginning, mistreated and beaten around her head.  Someone dumped her in our little valley and she adopted us.  We have laws against that, I sure wish I had found the guy that treated her so badly.  Gracie was the most expensive dog we ever had!  She had broken molars and glaucoma that had blinded one eye when she found us.  But she adapted very well. 

Funny story, I wish I'd gotten a photo.  The first time we went camping with her was in Oregon in the fall --- cold and damp.  I put a tarp down with blankets on it and our 2 other dogs lay down.  Then Gracie lay down right on top of both of them.  They actually put up with that, apparently they knew she was a special case.

She got her name because when younger and would jump into the car, she landed so lightly --- just like a butterfly.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 07 May 2020 - 05:21 PM.

• Dutchman and Meadowlark like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#18 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 791 posts
  • Local time: 11:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 08 May 2020 - 05:00 AM

Oh Carol, it takes a special kind of asshole to beat a dog, a kid, or a woman. And an angel to rescue a dog and love it throughout its days. Thank you for sharing your story about Gracie. Rescues make the best pets. I agree, they do have a way of finding and adopting us. Our little Veruca Salt had been dumped in our neighborhood, but it took a little while to coax her into a loving home. She is such a sweet girl and loves to camp, but HATES the ride in the car. She has gotten much better over the years, but I think it triggers that memory of being dumped on the streets to fend for herself. I guess her neurosis is a testament of how much love she has for us. She is curled up a my feet snoozing, but as soon as the rain shower subsides, I am taking her for her morning walk so she can bark at the other dogs and show off her daddy. ;-)

Toddy

Veruca Salt 1.jpg Veruca Salt 2.jpg

Edited by Hot Toddy, 08 May 2020 - 05:03 AM.

• Carol Christensen likes this

#19 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 185 posts
  • Local time: 11:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:49 AM

I understand yalls situation with the fur babies. I saw somewhere the other day, that this one family built a ramp for their small fur baby to help it up and down the steps. Although a person would have to be careful going up/down the steps and not slip on the ramp placed there.
As for me, going from the Casita to the single step is no problem, but stepping down to the ground, is another thing! As in the old saying Watch that last step, it is a doozy! I am guesstimating that it will be a stroll going down/up the two step modification, compared to the original single step.

Those yellow blocks used for leveling ones trailer also work well between the step and the ground.  It eliminates the "doozy" effect for that last step and being yellow, are easily visible day or night. 

• Meadowlark and West Texan like this

#20 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Local time: 08:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:55 AM

I agree, Toddy, there is a special hell designated for people who abuse or neglect an animal. (to include humans, we are animals, too). My brother's cat showed up one day at his newly built house. Andy had been dumped and was extremely timid. He lived underneath their porch for a year...through a frigid, deep snowed Michigan winter. They couldn't get near him. One day Andy decided to go into the house..he never left it from then on. They discovered that he'd been declawed......and had managed to survive without his main tools for catching mice.

Our Siamese loves camping, but she dislikes the ride in the truck, so we put her in the camper. I know, everyone says to not let a pet travel in the camper while towing...but if you have never heard an anxiety ridden Siamese in full yowl, you won't understand.

I do not understand people who neglect or mistreat their animals or their family. If you don't want to take care of a pet, dont have one. If you don't want to treat a spouse or a child with kindness and respect, don't have kids or relationships.

I can say this now, because it's all over and done with. THe people who lived in the house nearest ours had a dog. It was supposedly a purebred German shepherd, but if you don't feed a dog, it doesn't grow very big. These people were trash of the lowest sort (they were finally kicked out of the house and are gone!). They chained the dog up in the backyard and ignored it. It barked and barked and BARKED and they ignored it. This went on for weeks. I'd call them up and say, your dog is barking and they'd tell me to eff off.

They'd be gone all day, you'd hear the dog whimpering when one of them finally went out back, but I doubt that they spent more than a minute with the dog. It lived on a chain 24/7.

One day I finally had enough, I trespassed on the property (not difficult, they'd take off for days at a time, leaving the dog behind). The dog had wound her chain up around a stake so tightly she didn't have room to do more than lie down. No shade, in the hottest summer we'd had, no water, no food. NOTHING. Oh, there was a 'dogloo'...about twenty feet farther than the reach of the chain. You could count her every rib. She had ticks on her ears and was obviously full of fleas.

She barked madly at me when I approached her. She was obviously intelligent. I told her, I'm going to unwind your chain. Don't bite me. If you bark at me, I won't help you.

She sat down and just...looked in my eyes.

I tried to unwind her chain but it was tightly wound up and kinked I couldn't without unclipping it from the collar on her neck. I was nervous about reaching for her collar, putting myself at risk of being bitten by a dog that had probably never been vaccinated for anything. (fortunately, we don't have rabies here, except in bats). She didn't try to break loose from my grip, or run away, I wouldn't have blamed her if she did. She didn't make a sound and didn't try to bite me. I found a bucket-not difficult, considering the entire property was a garbage strewn junkyard,  and filled it full of water and she drank it dry.

Then I went home and called Animal services...what a waste of my time. Since we're in unicorporated county, they won't do a thing to pick up an animal, no matter how neglected. They said, if the animal has water, there's nothing we can do. If there's a dogloo, that is 'shelter' and it didn't matter if the dog couldn't reach it.  Damn it, I screwed myself. If I'd been thinking, I'd have just gone home and called them and told them, but no.........I gave her water first. I decided to go and take the dog, put her in my truck and take her to Animal services myself. I had it all planned out. I didn't even tell my husband. But the trashys came home that night, maybe they even discovered that SOMEONE had given the dog water, and from then on, they kept it locked up in the house. Probably still without water or food, but at least she was out of the sun.

They were evicted and left soon after. I'm sure that the dog is somewhere, must as miserable and just as confused as to why she's treated the way she is.

yes, I was bothered by the idea of stealing the dog-I'm not a thief, never have been. I'm embarrassed to even admit it here on a public forum. I think, though, that karma would have understood.

Edited by Meadowlark, 08 May 2020 - 07:56 AM.

• Carol Christensen likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#21 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,379 posts
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

Here's Gracie when we found her.  She was already blind in one eye, you can see her eye is very swollen.  It finally became very painful for her and we had it removed.  I know that sounds awful but before I even got her home from the vet, she was just so happy and wanted to play.

Gracie1.jpg

And Gracie in her senior years.  She grew to love camping but since we camp in the PNW in the fall, she would get cold.  Hence the coat.

Gracie at GreenPoint-1.jpg

Edited by Carol Christensen, 08 May 2020 - 12:10 PM.

Carol Christensen

#22 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:34 PM

Toddy, your Veruca Salt is so cute and obviously content.  She certainly choose the right family to adopt her.  Very lucky dog.

Meadowlark, your story is so sad.  I simply don't understand cruelty to animals -- people that are like that deserve jail sentences.  Your help was probably the only kindness that poor dog had ever know.  It probably has happy dreams of that day and that pail of water.  It's not your fault Animal Services has insane rules.

• Meadowlark likes this
Carol Christensen

#23 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Local time: 08:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:01 PM

Thank you, Carol. It is so sad. So sad. When I was working, for a while I worked for the Noxious Weed Board. I drove throughout my county, looking for noxious weeds on the Class A and B lists.  The hardest part of the job was not sitting on my butt all day, but seeing how people treat their dogs and horses. I cannot count the number of times I saw dogs chained just like my neighbors, with not a soul around. They were insane, of course. And the horses...so many with horse manure up to their hocks, their manes and tails full of cockleburs, ribs showing, hooves so overgrown they looked like elf boots...and stuck in a pen no bigger than a dog kennel. It was..infuriating and depressing.

ON the other hand, though, losing an eye...or both...is not the traumatic experience in our pets/livestock as it is for us. Of course, I'm referring to livestock, domesticated animals like dogs, cats, horses and cattle, not deer, etc.

There is an Appaloosa horse named Endo (sometimes Endo the Magnificent). He had uveitis (not at all unusual in Appaloosas) so bad that he had lost the sight in both eyes, and his useless eyes were so painful his owner, Morgan, had them removed.  So this horse has holes where his eyes used to be.

It made NO DIFFERANCE to Endo. HE's got an incredible bond with his owner. She JUMPS with him, does dressage, can get off him and he follows her where ever she goes. He canters out without hesitation and even in his paddock, he plays.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."