• Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:16 AM

Tomorrow, I will order the double step option for the Casita. When it gets here, installing it should give me something to do. That will help me pass time, until camping time!
Now, off to Lowes to get some new saw blades for cutting the old step out.
Are there any instructions posted here on how to install the steps?
Jim

#2 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 185 posts
  • Local time: 11:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:53 AM

Tomorrow, I will order the double step option for the Casita. When it gets here, installing it should give me something to do. That will help me pass time, until camping time!
Now, off to Lowes to get some new saw blades for cutting the old step out.
Jim

Get a couple of disks for the angle grinder.   Much faster and with less bruised knuckles. 

• West Texan likes this

#3 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 161 posts
  • Local time: 09:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:28 PM

Tomorrow, I will order the double step option for the Casita. 
Jim

When I received the 2/step very explicit instructions for the installation were included.

• West Texan likes this
Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#4 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 791 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:25 PM

Grinding the OEM step off your trailer sure sounds like a lot of fun, but I did want to share an alternative with you that has worked for us for many years. We use an adjustable height aluminum platform step by Camco, although other manufacturers like eTrailer have them too. It doubles as a portable step stool for projects just outside my reach. But the thing I really like about it is that the legs are adjustable in the event your door is over an uneven surface. Amazon has this one for $73, but you could probably shop around and get one on sale. Best of luck!

Toddy

Camco Adjustable Height Aluminum Platform Step.jpg

• SKYTALKER likes this

#5 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Local time: 08:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:11 PM

It looks a bit sturdier than the second step, Toddy. There are times when it's dark when I'm exiting the trailer and I'm not quite sure where the original, single step is. Even though we put reflective tape on it, still...it's a bit dicey, and I'm wondering if I'm ever going to miss it. Yes, I can turn on the light, and yes, I hold onto the handle on the right of the door as I exit. I think I'll look into this folding stepstool.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#6 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

Toddy,
I bought two of those steps several years ago at Lowes, when they were on sale. I got one to step up on, so I can get down in engine compartments to work on my vehicles and one to sit on, while working on the lower parts of the vehicles. I have a piece of 2 black plastic mesh (.... what they use at garden nurseries to get plants off the ground.) as a shoe cleaner. Also, it will fold up for storage under the Casita, instead of having to go in the back of my truck or take up room inside of the Casita.

Meadowlark,
Later on (after I get some other stuff done), I want to build me a lamp post that has a solar charged, motion detector, and is a night light to sit by the door. This would light up, if anyone came sneaking up and around the front of the trailer, or if I needed some light to see, when outside.
  • Meadowlark likes this

#7 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:29 AM

Sounds like a good idea, W. Texan...but I bet my lunch that the most activity you'll get with the motion detector is from raccoons...;-)

• West Texan likes this

#8 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:41 AM

Sounds like a good idea, W. Texan...but I bet my lunch that the most activity you'll get with the motion detector is from raccoons...;-)

They are fun to watch also. 😉 Up at Palo Duro Canyon, I watched them come and go in the dumpsters one night. One would hold the lid up, while others would go in and out, then another one would hold it open, while that one took his turn. It was hilarious watching them, but when it came to sleep, the banging of the lid was a little bothersome to a point. At my house, I have motion detector lights. The night birds keep them going on and off all night, so they can feed off of the bugs flying around.

#9 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:30 PM

Didnt get my steps ordered. Tried calling all afternoon and no answer, then I figured out the problem .... the number they have posted has a wrong -digit- in it! I made this same mistake years ago when my Buddy and I were writing a computer program for a doctor. I am thinking their auto-dial number uses an alpha instead of a numeric number. Therefore, you get a wrong number, which is a -fast busy- in telephone terms. I manually dialed the number and got an answering machine. I left a message for a call back and as of this writing, still have not gotten a call back to order some things. I was also going to tell them about their phone number problem. No telling how many others have tried and gave up trying to contact them through a bogus number. Looks like I am on hold in ordering my things.
Here I am trying to stay busy modifying my Casita and keeping my mind off of wanting to go camping and it looks like that aint gonna happen now.
Reckon that I can go pull everything out of the Outhouse and reorganize it. 😬

Update: Gotta call back, when I walked away from my phone. LOL Tried to return the call, but it went to voice mail again. Reckon that I will try tomorrow.

Update: 05/05 Got my steps and other goodies ordered, so it is now time for a Taco Tuesday lunch!

Edited by West Texan, 05 May 2020 - 08:41 AM.

#10 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:38 PM

W. Texan...Those aren't night birds setting off your motion detector lights. I bet my lunch...again..it's the bats doing that. They're pretty smart and they're probably the Mexican and Brazilian Free tailed bats.

• NASA42 B likes this

#11 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,620 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:32 AM

To illuminate my Casita steps I installed a strip of LED lights just under the door. There is a groove in the frame that is a perfect fit for the lights.  I picked up  12v power inside the lower vent for the refrigerator. I mounted a lighted switch  by the door at foot level. 

the LEDs I bought are similar to these https://tinyurl.com/stepleds

switch https://tinyurl.com/...rswitchsteplite

• Meadowlark likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#12 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:55 AM

To illuminate my Casita steps I installed a strip of LED lights just under the door. There is a groove in the frame that is a perfect fit for the lights.  I picked up  12v power inside the lower vent for the refrigerator. I mounted a lighted switch  by the door at foot level. 

Bet those look neat under there!
I thought of putting some up under the awning.
Did you get a controller that makes them flash/change colors/strobe? That would be cool. You could change the colors for ambience. ;)

(After an afternoon of partying, a person could turn the lights to strobe, so it would look like an airport runway to help guide them safely to the doorway. LOL)
  • Meadowlark likes this

#13 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:05 AM

W. Texan...Those aren't night birds setting off your motion detector lights. I bet my lunch...again..it's the bats doing that. They're pretty smart and they're probably the Mexican and Brazilian Free tailed bats.

Meadowlark,
The only bats that I have seen around my house are the -dingbats- that come by every now and then! LOL
Seriously, I have sat and watched the lights and cannot see anything that flips them on, except a few wild pigs/piglets that will come around rooting for grub worms and some deer running across the yard. What is strange is that during rainy weather, all over my black trucks doors, fenders, and mirrors, there are all kinds of muddy prints that look like they were made with bird wings. It is like they were fighting their reflections on the truck and leaving the muddy prints.
  • Carol Christensen likes this

#14 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,620 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:42 PM

Bet those look neat under there!
I thought of putting some up under the awning.
Did you get a controller that makes them flash/change colors/strobe? That would be cool. You could change the colors for ambience. ;)

(After an afternoon of partying, a person could turn the lights to strobe, so it would look like an airport runway to help guide them safely to the doorway. LOL)

I find the light useful both at a campground (especially at a Casita rally full of little white eggs) and when boon-docking. Helps me find our camper after dark. When we have been on a hunt it is better than walking in circles trying to find  the Casita, tucked away in a nice location, no roads to follow.

It will attract bugs sometimes, I think I'm going to replace it with an amber color, currently they are blue lights. The one other drawback is if you have a short fat little dog that struggles getting up the steps, turn the lights off. Our little dachshund can't calculate her "launch & land"  into home base with the lights blinding her pathway.

• Carol Christensen likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#15 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 791 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:24 AM

Clover brought up a good point about dogs and the Casita step. We have a little Rat Terrier that weighs about 13 pounds, so a small dog. She has a dickens of a time navigating that one Casita step. I suspect it isn't wide enough for all four of her legs to occupy it at the same time, so oftentimes she will try to launch over it all together. So, now that Clover mentions it, I think two-steps might be a real hinderance for her. The aluminum step stool that we use gives her a platform from which to launch into the trailer. It has been a while since we last camped so I had forgotten all about that.

Toddy