• Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 21 April 2020 - 02:46 PM

I ordered my Casita receiver hitch today. Now, for the wait. As soon as it comes in and gets installed, I can start carrying my squite wood for the fire-pit night ambience and for cooking my meals, while camping out.
  • Linda & Bob, K4TAX likes this

#2 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,620 posts
  • Local time: 12:57 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:33 AM

Harbor Freight has an aluminum cargo carrier that has worked well for us. 

https://www.harborfr...rier-92655.html

Where did you order your receiver hitch from?  

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts
  • Local time: 10:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:54 AM

I seriously hope you didn't order it from Orbital Machine Works, (OMW,) aka "Perfect Casita," because they haven't made one in probably close to a couple of years now. I'm not aware of anyone else out there who makes them for Casita trailers. Many people who have attempted, and also pre-paid, to place an order for the OMW frame hitch bracket have been frustrated in not getting what they ordered. Some have waited for over a year and still haven't received them. Bad way to do business IMO. I think they burned a lot of bridges with many Casita owners. Just my opinion, but if you did order through OMW, I'd get a refund and visit your local welder and have them build you one, (and for a lot less money too!).

FWIW, I made my own several years before OMW even thought of making one. I also replaced the flimsy tin foil sewer hose bumper with a stout piece of 3/16" thick 3" square channel tubing. It is necessary to replace the thin sewer hose bumper with the 3/16" thick 3" square channel as this is an integral part of the hitch as I designed it. Do not attempt to weld the Receiver Tubing to the thin sewer hose bumper. It is too weak to support a hitch. (And the sewer hose now lives coiled up in a 5 gallon plastic bucket, which I feel is much handier than using that sewer hose bumper ever was.)

Mine only required 3 pieces of square stock to build:

A 6' long section of 3/16" X 3" square channel for the rear bumper, (to replace the existing sewer hose bumper.)

A section of 1 1/2" square channel, long enough to be fitted cross-wise and welded between the two 3" main frame rails, about 2 feet forward of the bumper.

A 3 foot section of 2" Receiver Tubing, (which is not the same thing as regular 2" square tubing. 

(Most standard dimensions of square tube channel is measured as an O.D. Receiver tubing is measured as an I.D.)

Just print copies of these pictures and the materials description above and hand them to your welder. He shouldn't have any problem figuring it out.

RearBumper.JPG ReceiverHitch2.JPG ReceiverTubeandCrossmember.JPG

Edited by Euphoria, 22 April 2020 - 09:20 AM.

• clover and NASA42 B like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#4 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 22 April 2020 - 12:08 PM

clover and Euphoria,
I ordered it through Perfect Casita.
I dont have the equipment or any welder friends as to where I could have built one for my Casita. The only other option that I had was to order one from them. I talked to Claire, when I ordered it. She said that it could take up to six months to get it. She said they would not bill me, until it ships. I will play it by ear. I am not that big of a hurry. If it gets to drag out, I will cancel the order and go from there with a new plan.
I would like to replace the bumper with a larger and heavier one. Too bad you arent near enough to build one for me.
Edit: I boo-booed on the months. Sorry. 🥺

Edited by West Texan, 22 April 2020 - 04:32 PM.

#5 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts
  • Local time: 10:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:55 AM

West Texan,

Perfect Casita is Orbital Machine Works. They are one and the same. I know of many people that were told the same thing as you were told as far as "wait times" for getting it, and there are many who, after over a year of waiting, just gave up. Good luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that six month delivery window you were quoted. In fact, Gene, webmaster on the other Casita forum, banned OMW, (aka Perfect Casita,) from his website list of "suppliers" for all things trailer oriented. 

As to not having a welder, I'd just say that I'll bet in West Texas somewhere near you there's probably several places that sell and repair stock trailers and such. Any of those places can fabricate and weld up a nice hitch for you, and probably for a lot less than OMW's unit. Just sayin'. Good luck.

• clover likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#6 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,409 posts
  • Local time: 11:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 23 April 2020 - 08:35 AM

Another option:

My old bumper rusted through from putting the sewer hose in it.  Not having these skills myself I had a trailer outfit in Grand Junction, CO, built me a new one.  As you can see it has been re-inforced and the ends were welded shut and a receiver hitch added.  From an RV dealer in the same town I bought this sewer holder which can't rust.  Can't recall the cost but it was not expensive.

Dutchman

P1000011.jpg

P1000012.jpg

P1000010.jpg

• NASA42 B likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#7 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 09:23 AM

I had one built by a horse trailer dealer in Stephenville, TX. They do a lot of customization of high-end horse trailers that have living quarters in them. 

I had it added before OMW stepped into the Casita world, 9 years ago.

At that time I also had them put a Honda generator platform on the tongue. They tied the hitch  into the frame of the Casita. I paid $150 for both. Probably not that cheap today. 

There has to be a lot of competent welders in the Abilene area, sitting at the heart of the Texas Oil Patch.  Most/many are unemployed with the crash of the oil industry, I would guess eager for any work they can find. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#8 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,409 posts
  • Local time: 11:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:01 PM

(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita).

Speaking of overkill, I've been looking at this phrase for some time and finally remembered where I saw something similar. Years ago I camped at the Escapees RV park in Livingston, TX, where many folks have permanent setups.  While walking around I noticed a Casita, next to a 5thwheel under an open roof, and a large Freightliner parked aside.  Chatted with the resident, pointed out my Casita and asked what he pulled his Casita with. He grinned at said: "yep, the Freight liner".  He acknowledged to getting some wide eyed looks when pulling his Casita. 

Cheers,

Dutchman

Edited by Dutchman, 24 April 2020 - 01:04 PM.

• NASA42 B likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#9 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 12:48 PM

I ordered my Casita receiver hitch today. Now, for the wait. As soon as it comes in and gets installed, I can start carrying my squite wood for the fire-pit night ambience and for cooking my meals, while camping out.

As has been brought up you might wait a long time to get the receiver from  OMW/Perfect Casita.  However, that might be changed if you get it installed by Little Home on the Road. They are affiliated with each other and apparently other Casita owners  have been able to get desired parts for upgrades much quicker if they have them installed by Little Home on the Road. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#10 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:12 PM

As has been brought up you might wait a long time to get the receiver from  OMW/Perfect Casita.  However, that might be changed if you get it installed by Little Home on the Road. They are affiliated with each other and apparently other Casita owners  have been able to get desired parts for upgrades much quicker if they have them installed by Little Home on the Road. 
clover,
I am a good guy and I am willing to give them a chance. I am not in any hurry really. I can wait a bit. 😉
Wouldnt mind getting it installed, plus a few other things, while I was there.

Edited by West Texan, 30 April 2020 - 03:14 PM.

#11 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 07:13 AM

clover,
I am a good guy and I am willing to give them a chance. I am not in any hurry really. I can wait a bit.
Wouldnt mind getting it installed, plus a few other things, while I was there.

Since you have to have it installed, they would be a good choice to have it done. They are in Haslet which is just outside of Ft Worth. That would be a mere 2.5 hours from Abilene 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#12 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 19 July 2020 - 05:48 PM

I think that I will give them a call tomorrow and see if by some chance that my hitch might make it into the fabrication process before too much longer.
It sure would give me something to do in my down-time.
(Dang! What a run on sentence! My middle school English teacher always said that I could out-talk anyone she knew. LOL)

Edited by West Texan, 19 July 2020 - 05:49 PM.

#13 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 459 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:30 PM

No go. Still a six month wait on getting a receiver hitch. 🥺

#14 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 179 posts
  • Local time: 06:57 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SOLD 2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:17 PM

Pathetic.  What happened to that company?

Jim

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Saw the country in a 2002 Bigfoot 17 - now sold.

Where is Jim now? Hiding in the UK until Covid passes.

#15 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 791 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:48 PM

Seriously! You could build a custom home in the time it takes Orbital Machine Works to produce a receiver hitch. I cant imagine why anyone would trade their frustration for the opportunity to do business with them? The owner lacks feck.

Toddy