• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the link to the thread, Zimm.  I had already found it before getting too deep into this project.

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#32 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 140 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

I missed the fact that you physically cleared the holes in the jets.  Now I'm stumped too.

There was a recall on a bunch of EU2000's, see if yours is part of that.  Maybe they can check your fuel lines while they're in there.

https://www.cpsc.gov...nd-burn-hazards

As much as I hate to say it, I've had fantastic luck with the cheap-o $20 chinese knock-off carburetors on ebay for my lawn equipment.  I've used 2 so far.  I just put one in my Stihl trimmer that refused to start.  Runs like a new machine and starts on the first pull.  Might be worth a try before spending $100+ on a repair shop.

Edited by Zimm, 21 September 2018 - 11:26 AM.

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamper.com

#33 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:35 AM

Nope, neither of my generators are up for recall, but thanks for the heads-up.  Maybe it'll help someone else.

Chris

Visit My Website

#34 Linnij

Linnij
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 12:46 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:LD/17 2018
  • Trailer Name:Luna

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:45 PM

It’s between u and the generator and your persintance will surely pay off. I have also had luck putting removed carb I couldn’t get apart in a pan and spraying it up a couple times a day with cleaner , let soak for a week, and reinstall. Or try filling the tank with some 92 ethanol free gas and a good dose of sea foam or techtron and let er run chocked with a load on, fiddle backing the choke down as the hours go by. These are good machines but can be picky when out of spec...At least it’s starting and putting out juice...ur not dead in the water...Good luck

#35 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 SD #12415
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.
  • Trailer Name:Gone Walkabout
  • Casita Club Directory #:14442

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:46 PM

Could you try putting the carb from the good running generator on the one your having trouble with?

#36 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:42 AM

Linnij, I let it run for several hours with a tank full of (lower than 92 octane) Ethanol free, SeaFoam laced fuel and still couldn't get it to run with the choke off.  Toby Keith (yep, the C&W singer) has a roadside bar and eatery near me where he also sells 100 octane, Ethanol free "race car" fuel. (as he calls it)  I might try your idea with a tank full of that, laced with SeaFoam.  Maybe that would clear it up.

Tombrown, the Companion generator runs so well I'd hate to possibly mess it up.  Might tear a gasket or something.  I't my opinion these generators are easier to "keep" running than to "get" them to run when they won't.

I'm headed to the power equipment shop this morning to get a Carburetor Gasket set, along with an Air Filter Gasket, Carburetor Gasket and a Pilot Jet. 

the Pilot Jet is suspect because the o-ring was pulverized when I removed it from the carburetor.  We'll see if any of that helps.

Chris

Visit My Website

#37 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

Well, none of the parts dealers in my area had the items I needed, so had to order them.  Came home, dismantled the carb one more time and put it in PB Blaster to soak until next Thursday when the parts are supposed to be in.  If I've missed any clogged spots in the carb, the PB Blaster should clear them out. after soaking that long.  My patience is running thin, I must admit.

Chris

Visit My Website

#38 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 594 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

Ref fuel flow, you indicated you have two generators..... check the fuel flow on the working generator. If you have the same fuel flow stream as you saw on the failing generator, that will tell you something. Any chance of swapping generators between the two if the flow is the same?

You don't know what I mean????  Funny, I don't know what I meant either. Was trying to indicate to you to swap parts from working genny to failing genny if they are the same models, to determine if pump or carberator is causing the problem.

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#39 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:45 PM

Okay, gotchya!  Anyway, I'm in a holding pattern until next Thursday, or so.  I pulled the carb, dismantled it and put it in the ultasonic cleaner filled with PB Blaster.  It's been in there for several hours now.  I'll turn the ultrasonic cleaner on for about two hours each day until I get the parts.  Then I'll see what happens.  Keepin' my fingers crossed on this one.

Chris

Visit My Website

#40 jimiller5

jimiller5
  • Casita Club Member
  • 130 posts
  • Local time: 08:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Interests:Old Time String Band music, hammered and mountain dulcimer
  • Trailer Name:Camptown

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:27 PM

I had an old Ford tractor with the exact same problem. It turned out to be the fuel filter, even though I had put a new filter on it. The new one required 7 psi (from a fuel pump) but the tractor had a gravity fed fuel system which didn't have the needed pressure. I removed the filter completely and it ran fine. Maybe replacing the filter with a factory one would help.

Edited by jimiller5, 22 September 2018 - 06:28 PM.

• Beetlefreak, jimiller5 and clairemr1 like this

#41 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:41 AM

Well, when I pulled the filter out, it had one little dark spot on it.......about the size of a pin head...........probably a piece of dried leaf or something from one of my winter camping trips in the woods.  But it wasn't dirty or clogged by any means.  Cleaned it thoroughly, blew it dry.   I could breath through it like a straw with no effort.  But I would rather throw it away and install an in-line somewhere I could check and clean more easily than taking the entire front end out of the generator to access it.

But thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion.  At this point in the game, I'll listen to any suggestions I get.

Chris

Visit My Website

#42 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,436 posts
  • Local time: 08:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:59 AM

THis is a wayyyyyyyyyy out of left field suggestion, but as it appears you've tried everything but voodoo to get your 2K running...have you considered 'flashing the field'?

I know. That's electrical and you've got fuel problems. But you asked for '''any suggestions' and that's the only one I can think of other than kicking the darned thing into the lake.
Please don't do that.....

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#43 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:51 AM

"Flashing the field"?  Never heard of that, but just did a "search" and it seems overly complicated to me.  If what I'm doing now (and after the parts come in and are installed) doesn't correct my problem, I'll throw in the towel and take it to a shop.  Guess that would be better than throwing it in the lake. :o

Oh, and I just changed the oil in both generators.............just in case that might have contributed to the mess.

Edited by Chris C, 23 September 2018 - 11:54 AM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#44 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,360 posts
  • Local time: 09:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:10 PM

Sorry, but it sounds like you should have taken it in to the shop from the get-go. A whole lot of aggravation and grief. Would have been much simpler from the start.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#45 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:40 PM

Naw!!!!  Aggravating?  Learning a lot. Simpler? Yup.    I've more time than money.  It's all okay.

Chris

Visit My Website