• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LaSteve

LaSteve
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 01:30 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Geology, Fly Fishing, Bird Hunting, Duck Hunting, Cooking (especially outside), Wilderness Places, Conservation, Small groups of good friends!

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

Hi Everyone,

I will be the new owner of a SD 17 when I take delivery sometime in August at the Rice plant. I am an almost-solo camper in that my traveling companion will be an absolutely irreverent Boykin Spaniel who seems to think that anything he cannot "fetch" should be watered. I am from NW Louisiana and plan to use the SD 17 to explore and fish my way across the US and Canada in a few years when I retire. My main interests are fly fishing, kayaking, camping, hunting, geology, wild remote places, and small groups of good friends. I see there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this site that I hope to utilize in setting up my Casita.

I really like the atmosphere on this site and appreciate the respect you have for each other and for the newly initiated Casita owners.

#2 MKJMicah

MKJMicah
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17' Deluxe

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

Welcome Steve! We just picked up our Casita in Rice, TX last March and started outfitting it for travel to Maine in June. I'm a fly fisherman and hope to fish the upper Delaware River in NY on the way up  to Maine. The Upper Delaware River was my home waters for 36 years. Now retired, I live in Florida. Hope we can connect someday to fish!

...Manny Jomok 

#3 LaSteve

LaSteve
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Geology, Fly Fishing, Bird Hunting, Duck Hunting, Cooking (especially outside), Wilderness Places, Conservation, Small groups of good friends!

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:51 AM

Hey Manny,

It's always a pleasure to meet a fellow fly fisher.  I've always wanted to fish the extreme northeast, but I always seem to either go to the gulf coast, northern Arkansas, or the rocky mountains. Good luck on your trip.

Living in Florida, you have access to some of the finest saltwater fly fishing in the world. I try to get down there at least one week per year, but this year is looking doubtful.

Hope to see you on the water.

Steve

#4 madjack

madjack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 130 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 FD17
  • Interests:camping, shooting sports, camp cooking, building "stuff" and anything that gets me out doors

About me...20+yrs as a commercial OTR driver, logging over 2million accident free miles...previous to that, 20 yrs in the construction trades...owned a few travel trailers and teardrop campers along with more single and double axle utility trailers than I can count and as such have hauled everything from a nail, a 2x4, vehicles, construction equipment of all kinds all the way up to 100,000# steel beams, chemicals and other heavy haul and haz-mat item(s)
  • Trailer Name:Gator Eggs and Boudin(boo-dan)

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

Welcome aboard from Central Louisiana...don't fish much anymore but camp a lot in ArkLaTex area...maybe we will see ya around a campfire one day...have MUCH fun........

madjack B)

Jack and Marlene driving a.......'99 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE ext cab.......max suspension/cooling package..........5.3l V8auto w/200,000 mi and still hummin' along..........

#5 LaSteve

LaSteve
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:36 AM

Good Morning Mad Jack!

It's good to meet a kindred spirit from the same area, and I hope to see you in the woods. Do you boondock much in the Kisatchie National Forest? Lots of good dispersed camping opportunities.

Steve

#6 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 544 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' now sold :(
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

LaSteve......

Welcome to this Casita clan.  Although our priorities only overlap in a few areas  (and you're probably grateful I won't compete with you for fishing spots),  I hope to meet you and your new magic carpet somewhere down the road .

Frank  :rolleyes: 

#7 madjack

madjack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 130 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 FD17
  • Interests:camping, shooting sports, camp cooking, building "stuff" and anything that gets me out doors

About me...20+yrs as a commercial OTR driver, logging over 2million accident free miles...previous to that, 20 yrs in the construction trades...owned a few travel trailers and teardrop campers along with more single and double axle utility trailers than I can count and as such have hauled everything from a nail, a 2x4, vehicles, construction equipment of all kinds all the way up to 100,000# steel beams, chemicals and other heavy haul and haz-mat item(s)
  • Trailer Name:Gator Eggs and Boudin(boo-dan)

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

Steve, I have played, worked and lived in the middle of Kisatchie Forest for my entire life...I do camp regularly at Beavers Dam FSCG...while I used to boondock extensively, because of apnea, I need electricity to sleep at night...I am working towards a solar setup or maybe a VERRRY quiet generator, so I can return to more boony camping...next time I head up thataway, I'll give ya a holler and maybe we can get together and talk about some those CG's and other campfire tales...I look forward toit!!!!

madjack B)

Jack and Marlene driving a.......'99 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE ext cab.......max suspension/cooling package..........5.3l V8auto w/200,000 mi and still hummin' along..........

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,396 posts
  • Local time: 11:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

Welcome aboard and congrats on the Casita..........get out to the Pacific Northwest someday.......safe travels.. 

#9 LaSteve

LaSteve
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:43 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will be sure to post a picture of my Casita with TV so that everyone will recognize me on the road or at the campsite. Be sure to stop by and have a cup of coffee.