#1 ShereeMMG

ShereeMMG
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 02:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2018 17' Liberty Deluxe

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

Howdy folks,

We're new Casita owners, a 1999 17' Spirit Deluxe. We're looking forward to many adventures, the first big one being a 4 -6 week trip from Austin, Tx to Vancouver, BC, Canada. The trailer has had some new parts over the past few years so I think everything is working well for this first, and long trip. However, I welcome and insights, suggestions and comments on what I should do, have checked, repaired/replaced and what to anticipate for this type of trip. I'm new to trailering so every bit of advice is welcome. 

Thanks and we hope to see some of you on the road.

Take care,

Sheree and Mary Margaret

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:07 AM

hi, sheree, congrats on your purchase! hope you enjoy many trouble-free years with your casita. as far as what to check, i'd have someone qualified go over the entire trailer, checking out all components. i would look especially at your tires, including the spare (how old are they?), wheel bearings/brakes (when did they last do a full service?), axle and frame. if this is the original axle, it may need to be replaced at 20 yrs of age, as that is well beyond it's expected life.i'd have them check the frame for cracks as well, so you don't have a failure somewhere on the road.

i'd also pay particular attention to the propane system, check for leaks anywhere, old regulator at the tanks, are the tanks outdated? canada often checks for dates on the tanks and won't allow entry if they are expired (or i guess you could also leave the old tanks at the border and purchase new ones once inside canada). make sure you have the trailer and tow vehicle registrations up to date (canada looked at mine on the casita rear license plate when i entered last year) and that your tow vehicle has a current inspection sticker if required in your state.

camp locally for awhile to familiarize yourself with your systems and practice "boondocking" before you head out on such a long trip. make sure fridge/water heater/furnace run well on propane and decide if solar or a generator would make life easier for you ( generator is the only way to run your ac if needed while boondocking, otherwise, a solar system will do the job of recharging your battery). get everything repaired before heading out to ensure a headache free trip.have fun!

Edited by clairemr1, 29 April 2018 - 09:14 AM.

• NASA42 B likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Blacksmith

Blacksmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts
  • Local time: 12:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2017 Liberty Delux 17'
  • Interests:Ham Radio/electronics
  • Trailer Name:Cassie

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

Hi MMG,
We have about 10,000 miles now on our November 2017 17' LD. I strongly recommend SHORT trips until you get to know your trailer and have made the familiarization and changes necessary for your own comfort. 2-3 day trips within 100 miles is prudent. If you set out on a long trip and things are developing not yo your liking, be flexible. Change plans to keep safe. Avoid violent storm predictions. Avoid high, steep mountains. Avoid tight, twisting narrow roads. These all take time to learn how to navigate safely while towing with cars behind you wanting to go faster.
It is no fun to learn on night 2 of a trip that your battery will no longer hold a charge, meaning the motherboard shuts down. Loss of refrigeration. No lights. How well does the TV's alternator charge the Casita battery? When running the frig on DC, position 2, during travel does the battery get any or much charge? Is the propane cover firmly held in place against high cross winds? Are there any cracks apparent or undue stiffness in the propane hoses? Have any wall rivets broken from trailer flex that could lead to more serious vibration issues? How many hours of sun on your solar panel does it take to fully recharge the battery after one days camping? Given how you load your Casita, how many gallons of water must be in each tank to balance your load and keep from proposing? Are you familiar with the hot water bypass switch and how to empty the hot water heater without getting soaked? This has implications for about 100 pounds of total balanced weight (50 at the heater tank, 50 forward balast). How do the wheel bearings look and feel? Fully coated with clean grease? No excess movement? How much tread is left on the tires? Do they show any sun or dry rot induced cracking? Do they hold constant pressure for 3 weeks at a time? (One of mine does not.). Can you recharge/repair a low or flat tire anywhere you are? Is the spare good? Do you have spare fuses in all sizes necessary? Can you plug into 20, 30 or 50 amp shore power outlets? Is your Tow Vehicle an automatic transmission unit? If so, are you familiar with using it's manual settings to assist slowing down and braking during steep descents? Setting your TV's brake pads on fire, or getting them so hot they no longer work, is not a fun experience. Practice filling the fresh water tank by hand from a carry container. Not as easy as one would think, but very necessary.
These are just some of the items necessary to a safe and fun travel experience. Be safe. Learn all you can as close to home as possible.

#4 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 161 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

Sheree and Mary Margaret

​You've received a lot of good advice about checking out your rig. caring for it and traveling with it.  I don't think I can add much to that.

However, we've camped several times in BC and loved it.  We especially liked Vancouver Island and recommend it.  The ferry ride over can be a little pricey, but hey it's 

Canadian dollars.  Just stay for three week to get your moneys worth.

We'll be attending a rally in Winnipeg MB in August and are looking forward to it.  It's the 50th anniversary celebration of introduction of the Boler trailers. 

Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#5 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 792 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:47 AM

I would definitely camp in it a few nights before taking it on a six week trip, even if it is in your driveway. You will probably pack things that will prove to have little value to you over time, so dragging them with you for six weeks will become tiresome. A Casita will teach you how little you really need to be comfortable. I would also learn to back your trailer if you are new to towing. Take the time to straighten your tow vehicle and trailer into a straight line, then you can make small adjustments to guide your trailer into any space desired. Starting out with the back of your Casita going one direction and your tow vehicle another is best left to the professionals. Happy camping!

Toddy

• NASA42 B likes this

#6 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,396 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

Congrats on the Casita.....they are great trailers.   The advice above is great........can't add to the list.  Sounds like you have a great trip planned........if you pass through Washington......the Olympic Peninsula is beautiful. In the town of Raymond......right on Hwy 101.....visit the Northwest Carriage Museum......one of America's best horse drawn museums.  Incredible collection......more than 50 vehicles.........world class!   Safe travels.    

• Hot Toddy likes this