tentstake
  • Casita Club Member
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 01:43 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:40 AM

P8097924 (Medium).JPG P8128249 (Medium).JPG

Rattlesnake,
We've never been north of Park City yet, but that sure looks like some fun gravel grinding to us.

Oh it is my friend, it is!

#17 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Local time: 09:43 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:14 PM

Bikedawg, did the shocks come with the new 5200  axle or did you have to add them seperately? I'm assuming you weren't able to use LHC's shocks??

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#18 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts
  • Local time: 10:43 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:18 AM

Bikedawg, did the shocks come with the new 5200  axle or did you have to add them seperately? I'm assuming you weren't able to use LHC's shocks??

AFAIK, the OMW shock kit for the standard Dexter 3,500 Lb Torquflex axle is not compatible with the 5,200 Lb axle.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#19 bikedawg

bikedawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 11:43 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17
  • Interests:Leaving the crowds behind to cycle far away from the distracted and caged.
  • Trailer Name:StayPuft

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

Meadowlark,
Yes we ordered the Dexter shock kit (w/hangers) for the new axle and leaf springs, all the order specs came from Larry and would be similar to his retrofits I assume sans the frame strengthening. I meant to take pictures of the extra steel since it turned out pretty simple and straight forward. Given the extra tongue length and having seen the photos of others bent frames forward where the cabin ends, we sought to get out front (or under as the case maybe here) of the problem. We also reinforced the frame between the new leaf spring hangers and extended that a bit further in either direction for good measure.
BTW,I asked Larry what size of tire would fit, he said pretty big, these are 265/75 x 16's E rated LT's. Like I said, it may not be everyones desired height choice or look, but it should work for our continued adventures or at least clearing some of those whooped driveway entrances.
I will add some of those retro flexible rubber wheel flares to the wheel wells (admittedly for looks, but they might keep some rocks and dirt from flying) w/some mudflaps. We also sprayed the wheel wells with a thick coat of truck bed liner to help safeguard the gelcoat there.
Lastly, I aquired a nice stout/longer grab handle for the entrance door which is yet to be installed along with the just arrived OMW black water guard.
"Baja here we come".
The stock high lift 3200# TorqueFlex axle, OMW 3" Lift & Shock kit is now sitting in the carport looking for a new application.

Edited by bikedawg, 18 January 2019 - 04:01 AM.

• Meadowlark likes this

#20 L.K. Graham

L.K. Graham
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Local time: 10:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

Jerry C's idea sounded pretty simple, so I went to Home Depot and picked up a length of 4" black plastic perforated drain pipe. They didn't seem to have 6", so I settled for 4". It was a little tight, but I split it with my table saw and made it work.  I tightened it down with black zip ties for good measure. It looks like it will give at least a little protection from rocks and debris to the main black water drain line. There are a lot of vulnerable drain pipes and a gas line under the trailer, and it would be very difficult to protect them all with some sort of skid plates. Obviously, the Casita wasn't designed or intended for off-road 4-wheeling, and it would be foolish to try and so abuse it.

#21 tentstake

tentstake
  • Casita Club Member
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 01:43 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:34 AM

Bikedawg, where did you strengthen the frame? Got any pictures?

and local engineered frame strengthening.

#22 etlebsack

etlebsack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 11:43 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2019 SD 17
  • Interests:Photography, Mountain Biking, Skiing, Woodorking

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:49 AM

I just checked the OMW website and they are not accepting orders for the black water guard.