• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Barb27

Barb27
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 10:44 PM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

Im retiring next spring and hubby and I hope to hit the road with our two dogs and see some more of this beautiful country. With his engineering background my husband is a fan of the Casita. We think it gives us the flexibility to camp in relatively quiet locations and unhitch the pickup to go into town for a nice dinner every now and then. Wed love to hear from anyone with advice or funny stories and we are hoping to find a used Spirit to purchase in 2018.

#2 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Local time: 09:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

Just about all the advice you'd ever want or need is somewhere on this or other Casita forums.  Best advice I have is to do your dream travel as soon and often as you can.  There are advantages to all types of RV's, and it comes down to what your needs are.  Bigger is not always better....but I've been called a minimalist.  Used Casita's are somewhat hard to come by.....they are out there, but may be many miles away.  Look hard, move fast on one you find and be willing to travel to see and buy.

bon voyage

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,386 posts
  • Local time: 08:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:44 PM

Welcome Barb and hubby,

Your need for the flexibility to camp in quiet location and still be able to head into town for a nice dinner really hits home with me.  Casita's are self-contained so we often camp without hook-ups but it's so nice to take a break and a short drive to have a dinner or even breakfast.  Unless you have a specific reason to go with the Spirit, I would encourage you to take a look at the other models; Freedom, Liberty & Independence.  We are very happy with our Liberty, it's just the 2 of us and 2 (in the past 3) dogs.  Which ever model you choose, Casita's are great. 

• Jerrybob and clairemr1 like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#4 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,412 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

Welcome!  Lots of info. out there on this forum.  I suggest you just spend some time jumping around to various topics and enjoy.  Almost every issue has been talked about at some point.   Casita's are great trailers....we love ours but.....to be honest.....they are not for everybody.  We travel with two good size dogs.......our Casita pulls like a dream.......it is very water proof unlike other trailers I've owned in the past. Your husband sounds like a good handyman.......Casita's are very easy to maintain but if you need to work on something......they're pretty easy.  Good luck on the retirement.....get that Casita....go have some fun!  Safe travels.   

#5 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 802 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

Welcome Barb +1. Your husband will LOVE to tinker on his Casita. If you are looking for a used rig, get active on Casita Club and Forum so you stay abreast of who has trailers they are looking to sell. You also might try posting a bit more information about yourself in your profile so people can get to know you too. If distance is not an issue, I would highly recommend that you visit the Casita Factory in RIce to ask your questions and tour the factory. Being an engineer, Mr. Barb will probably enjoy observing the manufacturing process.

We have a Spirit Deluxe, and I love the floor plan, but one of us is always crawling over the other to access the bathroom in the middle of the night. Not a huge deal in our 50’s, but anticipate the arguement over who sleeps on the inside becoming exponentially greater as we age. Both the Independance and Liberty have more versatile floor plans. Like Carol suggests above, check out all of the floor plans and think about how you camp before finalizing your decision. I thought I wanted the Freedom for ten years until about a month before ordering one I decided I might like the additional storage that the Spirit affords. Short of someone always being between me and the bathroom, we love it. Best of luck!

Toddy
  • Carol Christensen and NASA42 B like this

#6 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:02 PM

The one with the smallest bladder sleeps on the outside :unsure: .

Dutchman

• Hot Toddy likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#7 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,412 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:10 PM

Or the one who drinks the most beer by the campfire!  LOL!

• Hot Toddy likes this

#8 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 11:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

Hello,

I could not agree more with the other response, this site is 50% of the reason once I saw a Casita and then found this site I knew I had to have one. Now finding a used one is a journey for sure. I would agree, go to the Casita website and study the floor plans so you know what you think will work best for you then start hunting and I mean every where. This forum, Craigslist, RV trader, and even Ebay, that's where we found our Matilda and I had to drive almost 9 hours round trip to get her but have not regretted one second since. One thing to take note of, 2005 and after they started bolting on the axle and not welding it on so much easier to upgrade to 15" tires, only thing I wish I could change about our 2004 model is that and one of these days when we retire that is one of the things we will do.

Good luck in your search.

Steve 

• Mombot.01 likes this

#9 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

Steve - I took my 2003 17SD back to the factory a few years ago and they removed the welded axle (with laser I believe i.e. no heat) and bolted on a new high rise axle. Sorry, can't recall the year or the price I paid, but well worth the upgrade to me.  Bought 15" rims and new tires.

Barb27, if you have a choice of 17fters consider 2003 or later.  That's when the factory switched to a larger rear window.  Not so much for better view but it gained the ability to R & R, thru the window, the refrigerator if/when it needs replacing.  Also provides easier access for bears if you're baking xmas cookies :P

Dutchman

Edited by Dutchman, 04 December 2017 - 06:41 PM.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#10 trainman

trainman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2017 Independence Delux
  • Interests:Hiking, Site Seeing, Eating, Model Trains, Exploring New Areas, Enjoy Company With Friends
  • Trailer Name:The Caboose

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

Im retiring next spring and hubby and I hope to hit the road with our two dogs and see some more of this beautiful country. With his engineering background my husband is a fan of the Casita. We think it gives us the flexibility to camp in relatively quiet locations and unhitch the pickup to go into town for a nice dinner every now and then. Wed love to hear from anyone with advice or funny stories and we are hoping to find a used Spirit to purchase in 2018.

Casita's are engineered and built in Texas, by Texans. Really don't have a funny story, but in the 50's there was a Ford Plant in Dallas, Texas and every Ford that came off the assembly line had a sticker in the back window that said, Built in Texas by Texans. Maybe Casita needs a sticker like that on the back window. Since you have a PU as we do, you will have all the extra room you need to care everything plus much more, just don't overload the Casita and stay within it specs.

trainman

• Mombot.01 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: newbies, Spirit, Off the beaten path