• Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 10:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Ukulele
  • Trailer Name:Holiday (Pending)

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

Hello from Hope, Indiana,
I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now, and am eager to make my SD roadworthy and safe. It needs some safety equipment, so It'll be parked until I'm confident that it will make it on camping trips without jeopardizing anyone on the road, including you and me.

My P3 brake controller is now hooked up to the car dash, it lights up, and will be setup for safe stopping as soon as my wife gets out of it. She's enjoying lounging and reading in the bed that she's made, with a new topper.

My TV is a 6cyl 2011 Grand Cherokee with complete factory tow package. The transmission cooler was leaking, so I had it replaced with a new transmission cooling radiator. It's factory towing package has the 10k rated hitch, which is way more than the TV can safely tow, but that won't be a weak link. It also has the ESC and TSC, and I've got one of those Harbor Freight friction sway bars. I'd love to have the Anderson WDH with its own sway control instead of the HF. Maybe that's more than necessary. I'm learning though, and hope to be brought up to speed by this forum, Fiberglass RV, and the other Casita site.

Gotta say thanks already, as I've picked up lots of good information from here.

#2 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 544 posts
  • Local time: 12:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' now sold :(
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

Rrgramps.......

Welcome to the Casita family!  Having noted the name you've chosen, I'm assuming you might almost be in geezer status....like me.  Seriously, though, it seems as though you've made a great start.   Hope to meet you down the road somewhere....

Frank  :rolleyes: 

#3 Rrgramps

Rrgramps
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:35 AM

Rrgramps.......

Welcome to the Casita family!  Having noted the name you've chosen, I'm assuming you might almost be in geezer status....like me.  Seriously, though, it seems as though you've made a great start.   Hope to meet you down the road somewhere....

Thanks Frank. A few years ago, I put together a simple model rr track, and my grandkids liked it so much that the moniker RRGramps stuck. Unfortunately, my plans never took me down that track :-), and I dont get involved in the model railroading hobby very often. Camping is my new-old hobby. Im ok with tent camping, but my wife doesnt do too well with it. In a shorttime, we have gravitated to Casita. Although it has a few things to repair, we really love it, so far.

Finally, my wife decided to leave the camper and go into the house. That gave me time to road test and setup my new brake controller. It is now working well, with the ability to almost skid when that lever on the bottom is pulled to its stop.

Im afraid there are lots other of things to fix, because it is old and somewhat neglected; especially the mushy floor. Im going to put on an optimistic and happy face, even after reading about a multitude of folks whove spent blood, sweat, and tears to gut and rebuild their floors. That is not a job for the faint of heart.

Addendum...
I see history is an interest of yours. That was my very worst subject in HS, and almost prevented me from graduating. But I finished, and enlisted into the AF in 1966. After service, and much later, I found myself in a required US history class at IUPUI. So now, I dabble in what I used to hate.

Edited by Rrgramps, 24 September 2017 - 05:46 AM.

• NASA42 B and Rrgramps like this

#4 FeldmanKC

FeldmanKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 11:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe/16ft
  • Trailer Name:SPICE WAGON

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

Hope, IN....yes, I know where it is, even though it is only 2,000 give or take a few. Down the road a piece from Greensburg or Columbus or Shelbyville or Burney, and then there is St Louis Crossing... yes...I know. Welcome to the Casita Family from a past Decatur County Resident. We do not have our Casita yet but will pick it up in December. We will settle for a 16' because our tow has limitations, Honda Odyssey, 17' a bit much. Enjoy and have fun with the fix-up routine, sounds exciting. Steve & Judy

• Rrgramps likes this

#5 Rrgramps

Rrgramps
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

Hope, IN....yes, I know where it is, even though it is only 2,000 give or take a few. Down the road a piece from Greensburg or Columbus or Shelbyville or Burney, and then there is St Louis Crossing... yes...I know. Welcome to the Casita Family from a past Decatur County Resident. We do not have our Casita yet but will pick it up in December. We will settle for a 16' because our tow has limitations, Honda Odyssey, 17' a bit much. Enjoy and have fun with the fix-up routine, sounds exciting. Steve & Judy

Good to hear from you. We go to both Greensburg and Columbus for our shopping. Mostly Greensburg though.

We just returned from a 4 day camping trip at Brown County, and loved it. On Thursday, the campground was not very crowded, and our shoreline was a lengthy stretch, so I left the 20 Amp dog bone attached. The campground-side breaker held without faltering until the next night, then kept tripping. Finally solved the problem by backing our Casita close enough to plug into 30 amp. Must’ve been some brownout issues when the campground went to fully populated, non-vacancy.

#6 Rrgramps

Rrgramps
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

My iPhone doesn't show my last post from my iPad. :-/ I'll post some of it relating to the bad floor.

I've already discovered that the hose connecting the freshwater tank to a plastic exterior spigot was completely off, and I found the hose laying loose on the floor. So far, we are dry camping and not using or putting water into this camper until I've inspected all the old water lines, valves, and filters, then tackle the drain system. That will be done before tearing out the floor, so it doesn't leak on my new flooring.

#7 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 544 posts
  • Local time: 12:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' now sold :(
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

Rrgramps........

While you're about it, you might pull the lower refirig grille and examine the drain line from the fridge thru the floor.  I recently discovered that the plastic drain line in my 07 model had become brittle and fallen apart....dumping the condensation from the fridge onto the chipboard base under the appliance.  I replaced mine with some clear vinyl tubing.

• Rrgramps likes this