• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 M9V7K5D1L8

M9V7K5D1L8
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 11:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Weight lifting, hiking, prison ministries.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

Regarding my second post.  For primitive site camping, what is the advantage to having a gas furnace if a generator is required for the 12 volt battery?  With a generator, it would seem I might as well use the electric heating unit that comes with the unit.  

Thanks for any clarifications on this issue!

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

you only need a generator when remote boondocking without hookups to recharge your battery. i usually need to run my generator every 2-3 days for a couple of hours or whenever my battery monitor shows it at 50 % discharged

Edited by clairemr1, 09 January 2017 - 03:53 PM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 08:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

Well, you don't need a generator to primitive camp. You can charge your battery with the tow vehicle or us solar panels. Now depending on how cold it gets where you're going you might want the furnace vs. the 6000 btuh electric element that comes with the Air conditioner. I have a generator which gets used for more than just running the trailer. If you're out in the middle of nowhere it's nice to have backup.

2014 17' Casita SD

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,626 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

Regarding my second post.  For primitive site camping, what is the advantage to having a gas furnace if a generator is required for the 12 volt battery?  With a generator, it would seem I might as well use the electric heating unit that comes with the unit.  

So if it's cold outside for extended periods of time do you want to run an electric heater and a generator 24/7? That would be more expensive and irritating than having the propane heater. 85% of our camping is boondocking and a large majority of it is in the winter. We use the propane furnace when boondocking and are able to top off the battery daily when I run the generator for the microwave and drying my hair with a blow dryer. We also have the generator for our hot summer boondocking when we need the AC. Generally in the summer the genny will be running 24/7 here in Texas. 

Boondocking for us, beats being tied to a power pedestal, hands down. It opens up a giant world of possibilities and removes being tied to schedules.

• Meadowlark and U.S.M.C. Don like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,360 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Sorry if you were a bit disillusioned or misinformed about some of the technical aspects of wanting to "camp off the grid," but the propane furnace needs control power to operate, and that comes from the battery if you don't have shore power available to run it from the converter. Sooner or later, (more likely sooner,) you will need to recharge the battery due to the current that has been drained just to run the furnace on propane. Same thing with the fridge, as it also needs 12 vdc to work, even on propane. And don't forget, you also have several other "parasitic" loads like the smoke detector and CO detector, and maybe a few more depending on your options, that are on all the time too. A gen-set isn't something you have to run all day and night, just for a few hours a day to pump up the charge on your battery. Use it to your advantage, and if you have need to use any other electric appliances, do it during the time you are recharging. It isn't all that bad.

As for using the electric heating unit in the A/C unit, you will still need 120 vac to run it, so in either case you will need to have shore power or a generator. An alternative if you are only interested in recharging the battery would be investing in a solar panel system to supplement your 12 vdc power needs. I gave up "tent camping" years ago. I'm too old for that anymore. Besides, I bought the trailer with all the conveniences because I like having them, otherwise I could have saved a whole lot of money and just bought a tent.

If you expect to truly live "off the grid" without using any battery power, I guess you need to turn everything off, and bring lots of firewood and a large Ice cooler to keep your food cold. Most of us got tired of that a long time ago, which is why we bought trailers with all the amenities to be comfortable, but to each his own.

Edited by Euphoria, 10 January 2017 - 01:16 PM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#6 DeeSue

DeeSue
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 12:52 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Casita 16'
  • Interests:National Parks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

We are removing the gas furnace from our 2013 Spirit Deluxe 16'. We live in Orlando and never will camp in cold weather without electric hookup. We have been camping for over 40 years, owned 5 different travel trailers and NEVER used the propane heater. My husband is a mechanical inspector and says removal should not be difficult. Would anyone be interested in purchasing it? or not. We need the storage space in the Casita much more that a heater we'll never use. Any tips about the removal process would be helpful.

Oh yes, we sold the 2016 13' Scamp. It was too small. Perfect for one person though.

Edited by DeeSue, 09 October 2017 - 11:16 AM.