10 replies to this topic

#1 Raztaztwo2

Raztaztwo2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17 ft

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

Hi there!

Well, we finally pulled the trigger and ordered our Liberty Deluxe for delivery in May.  We are pretty excited!  We have had numerous travel trailers throughout the years, but love the idea of this one being fiberglass and so well built.  

I do have a newbie question.  Is it worth going to TX to do the orientation and take delivery of the trailer? We have been towing for years so are comfortable with how to do the "trailer" thing, however wanted to get some comments from you all to see your thoughts.  It is an 18 hour drive for us each way... and would have to take of time from work.  Let us know.....

#2 Blacksmith

Blacksmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2017 Liberty Delux 17'
  • Interests:Ham Radio/electronics
  • Trailer Name:Cassie

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

Raz,
We picked up our 17' LD in Nov. we love it. Do not pass up the factory tour. You will learn each step of manufacture, exactly where you tanks are located (for weight distribution), where the electrical wires are routed so you avoid screwing into them later, just a lot of info. Stay alert as no cameras are allowed inside the factory.
Yes, that 4500 mile trip was a bummer for us. And costly. Did I like it? No. Would I do it again? In a minute.
Also, make sure you take the time during your Casita walk through of your own trailer to ensure all appliance work, especially the heater function built into the air conditioner. If they tell you it would get hot if they just had time to wait, insist on waiting!
Blacksmith
  • Raztaztwo2 likes this

#3 Raztaztwo2

Raztaztwo2
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:02 AM

Thank you Blacksmith,

You make some very valid points.  And looking at some of the mods that people do to their Casitas, I can see knowing where all the wiring is, is truly key!!!!  And thank you for the heater tip.  It is funny how sometimes you don't want to put someone out, so you will take their word for it, or skip a step - but to your point, it is very important to make sure everything is working perfectly before we take off.  We would stay over night locally that first evening too, just to ensure it is all good before we started the trip back to NC. 

Thank you again for your comments.  It is very much appreciated.  ~Raz

#4 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 10:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

Welcome to the forum. Good comments by Blacksmith. We didn't do the factory tour but listened and asked questions during the orientation.  We also stayed in a nearby campground, (20 minutes away) to make sure all was good. Had one bad mini-blind and wheel bearing cap had a hole in it allowing grease to get flung all over outer wheel. Drove back next day on way home and they fixed it lickity split. My sway bar was also making a grunting noise when making sharp turns, which I found out was normal. I brought a spare propane tank that was full and they put it on for me at the factory. That way I didn't have to stop somewhere. They won't let you leave the factory until everything is right with trailer and hitch connections. Don't forget to check the lug nut torque every 50 miles or so for the first 200 miles as they recommend. They will supply you with fresh water white hose and pressure regulator. You may want to pick up a water filter at Walmart. You'll also need the black tank dump hose fittings. They give you a hose but no fittings. Here's what I use. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39761-RhinoFLEX-Swivel-Fittings/dp/B002OUMVWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483037007&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+dump+hose  Water filter:  https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-TastePURE-Flexible-Protector/dp/B0006IX87S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483037069&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+water+filter   Chocks & blocks I'm sure you're familiar with and will need if you're staying anywhere on the way home.

2014 17' Casita SD

#5 Raztaztwo2

Raztaztwo2
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

Thanks WallyZ,

I would have to do a check list before I went that is for sure :)  Thank you for the info and it is good to get some feedback on whether or not picking it up and getting the rundown is necessary.  I also saw that there were some YouTube videos... maybe something to consider.

Thanks again ~Raz

#6 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:54 PM

Thanks WallyZ,

I would have to do a check list before I went that is for sure :)  Thank you for the info and it is good to get some feedback on whether or not picking it up and getting the rundown is necessary.  I also saw that there were some YouTube videos... maybe something to consider.

Thanks again ~Raz

Here's an orientation video made by a Casita owner and Victor at the factory. It's basically the same orientation you would get except for them checking out your tow vehicle. I watched this series of videos prior to picking up the Casita. Would be good to watch and write down any questions you may have.

2014 17' Casita SD

#7 cottons

cottons
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 01:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Independence
  • Trailer Name:Trailer

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:06 AM

I didn't find the orientation a "must do", as I have experience with the mechanical things in the trailer.

However we did enjoy the trip, enjoyed visiting the factory, and wanted to spend a week trying out the trailer.

We had no problems requiring us to go back to the factory. It has been my experience that Casita is good to work with if you have warranty issues once you get home. (My refrigerator died and required replacement the week after we picked up the trailer. Got it worked out relatively easy, and to my satisfaction).

#8 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,379 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:12 PM

Congratulations on your new Liberty Deluxe.  Good choice.  We have had two LDs and love them. 

Because we had never had a trailer or RV, we picked up our first Casita (1999) in Rice.  We learned a lot, had questions answered and enjoyed the trip.  When we bought our second Casita (2005), we had it delivered --- that worked well for us too.  When I calculated the cost between taking time off from work and driving to Rice, Texas from Nevada in 1999 and comparing it to having our trailer delivered to Nevada in 2005, the cost was just about the same.

Since you have experience with travel trailers you can go either way.  Perhaps comparing the out-of-pocket cost between the trip and delivery will help you decide.

• Wally Z likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#9 pete_britt

pete_britt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 02:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Trailer Name:Our Wee Cottage

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

Little House Customs is not far from Rice TX.  I tell everybody to make an appointment with Larry Gamble as soon as they know their Casita delivery date.  You have plenty of time to decide what you want, but not much time to get on his schedule.

#10 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,622 posts
  • Local time: 01:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

You don't need the onsite factory orientation. Especially since you have TT towing experience. The Casita is a very simple and basic piece of equipment and not difficult to figure out and what you can't figure out, ask questions on the forum.

When you consider probably 50% or more of us on the forum bought used and not new.......we figured out how to use everything without a factory visit. 

If the cost of taking off work outweighs having it delivered, IMHO I'd get it delivered and use the money for camping trips. 

If there is something wrong with the Casita when it arrives, the factory has been good about "taking care of it". They will have you take it to a local RV shop to get the needed fix. 

Welcome to the Casita Cult ( I mean family)

Have a BLAST!

• U.S.M.C. Don likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#11 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:looking for a Casita
  • Trailer Name:Casita

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:48 AM

Hi,  We are expecting delivery of a New Casita Liberty Deluxe 17' soon. We are in California.  wondering if anyone knows of any check list we should have for when the delivery guys get here. In other words, being sure everything is working.  We have an electrical outlet outside so we can check lights, fan, and things like that.   We used to own a Spirit deluxe a few years back and sold it as we didn't care for the queen bed set up and prefer the layout of the Liberty.   We have missed our Casita and can't wait for the new one!  Any suggestions about checking things upon delivery?  This is our first NEW Casita.  The one we had several years back was an older one bought from an owner. So this is sooo exciting!  Brand new baby. 

Thank you...hope to hear from you. 

Edited by Rob and Laura, 05 May 2018 - 05:50 AM.