Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,470 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

Of course, at it’s best, this would only cut the noise on two sides. The output end would still be just as loud. Best I could do would be to position it to direct that noise in the least offensive direction.

Does this sound (no pun intended) like a workable idea? Or should I just start with one EU2000? I could always max out the credit card and get a second EU2000 later if I found I needed more power. Or split the difference and get a Yamaha EF2400. It seems like a single EU2000 is just too close to being maxed out running the AC.  

Sounds to me like you have totally miss-titled the thread. What you have described will not "Sound Proof" anything. With your added carpet, maybe a little sound will be absorbed. What you are actually doing is, at best, redirecting discomfort for others for your benefit.

• Euphoria likes this

#17 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts
  • Local time: 06:34 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

I wasn't very clear. I would position the wooden noise shields to protect my neighbors. If nessary, I'd have the exhaust pointed towards my own trailer. I'm a city boy, so engine noises (within reason) don't bother me. Besides, if anyone is going to be annoyed by my generator, it should be me.

#18 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,340 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:25 PM

Also be mindful in how you set up your sound "shielding." You don't want to accidentally direct or channel the generator's exhaust into your trailer. You don't want carbon monoxide poisoning. That could prove fatal before you realize it is happening.

Edited by Euphoria, 17 December 2016 - 02:26 PM.

• Meadowlark and Steamboat like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#19 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts
  • Local time: 04:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:07 PM

It's been many years, but while in the Army, "we" got new generators (mind you, the ones I am talking about STARTED at 15K (power output, not $$)--way more than you need for an AC!). They were called 'Quiet Reliable'. I wasn't a generator mechanic but I will admit that they were much quieter than the earlier generation of big generators.

Again...as I was a turbine mechanic, not a generator one, I'm not certain quite how they were 'muffled' but it consisted of a box, so to speak, with sound deadening material inside. I believe it wasn't foam, it was more of a baffle system. It certainly made a difference-you could still hear the gens but they were far quieter. It was needed. I was in a NATO unit, and  would often talk to soldiers from other countries and was told they could always locate a US Army unit in the field solely by the sounds of our generators...the Brigade commander needs his microwave, after all...but after the QR's came in, that made a difference.

If you go to what used to be called Army Surplus, then later renamed  DRMO (the acronym of which I forget) I bet you could find some of the old housings for QR's. Of course, they will add lots of weight..... :glare:

Edited by Meadowlark, 19 December 2016 - 01:08 PM.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#20 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,617 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

I will second the enforsement of the Champion Generators. I've had a 3500/4000 for 4 years. It has been used 24x7 for months at a time in the hottest of Texas heat. I lived in the Casita full time dry camping June through September. Rarely did it get any rest. I bought it used from another forum member that bought the Champion 3100 inverter generator. We compared the noise level on the 3500/4000 open frame I bought, his 3100 Champion Inverter and his Honda EU2000. The Champion 3100 was as quiet as the Honda 2000 when it was in eco mode. However when the Casita AC kicked in the noise level on the Honda was about the same as my Champion 3500/4000 open frame genset. 

I loved my previous Honda EU2000, I had it for 5 years. I always babied it and put it in the shade and kept it out of the rain. It just couldn't take the Texas heat running to it's very limits. I keep thinking when my current Champion needs to be replaced I'll popped for the 3100 Inverter from Champion. I'm not sure its going to die anytime soon. 

Champion is said to be the generator of choice used by the Forest Service in remote locations. There are thousands of certified Champion repair locations (example all Northern Tool Stores)

There is an company that is the number one Champion Dealer called Super Gen. The founder use to work for Champion Corporate. You can get a new pull start Inverter 3100 for under $849  

http://www.supergenp...enerator-75531i

Or a factory refurbished  for $595 

http://www.supergenp...nverter-100158r

I would not hesitate to purchase a refurbished model. I also would pass on the electric starter. It adds more weight and cost. I am a 63 year old female and the Champion pull start is easy and 90% of the time starts on the first pull. The electric start and the battery needed on board is just more more thing to maintain. Because if you are not using it a lot you will need to put a battery tender on it so it stays charged. 

When I was looking to replace my dead Honda EU2000 I talked to some of the Honda reps at Air Venture (largest aviation gathering in the world) in Oshkosh, WI. Honda has a huge presents at that event. They had 2 generator locations in the trade show portion of the event (they bring just about everything they make from Indy Cars, Jets, Motorcycles and  ASIMO the robot. The Honda genset guys discourage paralleling two of the 2000 units. First they said you won't truly get 4000 Watts out of it and you have twice the chance for something to break down. 

We do a fair amount of Texas summer camping boondocking. A Honda 2000 for extended periods of time in the heat is on a death march. A lot also depends on the age of your AC unit. One of the new AC units that LHC uses to replace old dead AC units in much less demanding. With my 3500/4000 I can run everything (AC, microwave, hair dryer) with out shutting anything else off. 

FYI Super Gen Products makes a genie tent that helps dampen noise. 

http://www.supergenp...rgen-tent-small

I think a generator is an excellent piece of equipment to have. We have used it for power outages at home. It also opens a whole new world of possibilities on how to use the Casita when you are not tethered to a power pole. 

Good luck

• U.S.M.C. Don likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#21 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

I found a video on the Honda website demonstrating the noise levels of several different generators:

http://powerequipmen...evel-comparison

(The EG2800i I was looking at goes from 61 to 69 decibels, so it's maximum is the same as the second loudest model shown in the video). 

Edited by dfield, 19 December 2016 - 07:17 PM.

#22 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 696 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD
  • Interests:Classic Fiberglass Boats, Hot Babes, Fine Cigars, & Good Whiskey
  • Trailer Name:No Tell Motel & Cigar Lounge

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

I found a video on the Honda website demonstrating the noise levels of several different generators:

http://powerequipmen...evel-comparison

To an old gearhead like me, all of them sound like a finely tuned symphony orchestra!! I wouldn't have any problem listening to any of them around the clock.. Of course my preference would be the larger generators since their larger displacement engines have a deeper more pleasing exhaust tone than the smaller ones do..

Here's the old Onan I have in my old Chris Craft, it's not too obnoxious when it's buried deep in the bowels of my old cabin cruiser..

http://vid1064.photo...nsetRunning.mp4

And here's it's main engine, a 383 cubic inch stroked, reverse rotation, small block Chevy.. And yes, even with mufflers it's that loud.. Sounds absolutely awesome blasting across the lake at 3500RPM gulping premium fuel at 11 gallons per hour..

http://vid1064.photo...ld/100_0016.mp4

Edited by CC-John, 19 December 2016 - 07:28 PM.

• Wally Z and Steamboat like this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

FGRV #1 1973 Century Resorter 16 - Powered by Chrysler LM318 225HP V-8

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 2007 Casita 17SD - Powered by Onan CampPower 2500LP

CASITA PICS

#23 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,470 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:08 PM

It's been many years, but while in the Army, "we" got new generators (mind you, the ones I am talking about STARTED at 15K (power output, not $$)--way more than you need for an AC!). They were called 'Quiet Reliable'. I wasn't a generator mechanic but I will admit that they were much quieter than the earlier generation of big generators.

Again...as I was a turbine mechanic, not a generator one, I'm not certain quite how they were 'muffled' but it consisted of a box, so to speak, with sound deadening material inside. I believe it wasn't foam, it was more of a baffle system. It certainly made a difference-you could still hear the gens but they were far quieter. It was needed. I was in a NATO unit, and  would often talk to soldiers from other countries and was told they could always locate a US Army unit in the field solely by the sounds of our generators...the Brigade commander needs his microwave, after all...but after the QR's came in, that made a difference.

If you go to what used to be called Army Surplus, then later renamed  DRMO (the acronym of which I forget) I bet you could find some of the old housings for QR's. Of course, they will add lots of weight..... :glare:

Meadowlark,

THIS is not 15K. but if you want to purchase it "just for ol' time sake," I'm sure they could arrange shipment to WA.

Edited by Us burros, 22 December 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#24 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

Here's a video showing a 10 decibel sound reduction just using a few sheets of plywood:

That would reduce the louder EG2800i down to EU2000 sound levels. 

#25 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

This is a more elaborate setup:

If I was building this, I'd worry about the generator over-heating. But if you installed a fan on the intake side, you could get good airflow over the engine. 

#26 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts
  • Local time: 04:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:48 AM

Thanks, Harold. That's a later generation generator than my time. The seller is right, though, the gens are made to run 24/7 and are pretty reliable. If I recall. and please excuse me, but it's been a long time and far outside my training, but Army generators were 'three phase"??? and made to produce 220 or perhaps 440? I'm not sure. All I know was if I wanted power I needed a pigtail.

If one had the NSN and access to the database, one could probably find the real $$$ on the one you show. I wonder how the seller got hold of one with only 40 hours on it. I'd ask for an authentic bill of sale from the US Goverment before I'd put down that kind of money.

I didn't know Cummins acquired Onan. Cummins makes a very good diesel engine, and Onans were always pretty good gens.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: generator, noise