• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 dfield

dfield
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts
  • Local time: 07:14 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:26 AM

I think I’ve finally saved up enough to consider getting a generator for my 17SD. I was torn between a pair of Honda EU2000s or the Yamaha EF2400iSHC. Then I noticed that Honda has a new model called the EG2800i

EG2800i_PE_IMG100.jpg

http://powerequipmen.../models/eg2800i

It’s pretty much the same power, weight and noise level as the Yamaha EF2800i, but costs about $400 less than the Yamaha. So for the same price as a single EU2000, I could get something better suited to running an Air Conditioner. It would appear to be the best buy for my limited budget. Except for the increased noise…

Both the Honda and Yamaha 2800’s are open frame inverter models that are about 10 decibels louder than the EU2000. As near as I can tell, roughly twice as loud as the quietest Honda or Yamaha models, but still only half as loud as a typical "contractor" gennie. It has an "Eco" mode to quiet it down, but even with 2500 running watts I expect it would be well above idle when running the AC (assuming that it will cycle the AC in "Eco" mode).

So, I had an idea. I could take two pieces of plywood (maybe 3 feet long?) and fasten them together along the top edge with a hinge. I could then unfold them into an "A-frame" shape, kind of like a wooden Pup Tent, and place that over the gennie. Maybe even fasten some old carpet to the inside for extra sound deadening. It seems like that should cut the noise to the sides pretty well, while still being open enough for good airflow (if it got too hot in the Summer, I could add a cheap box fan to the front to blow air through it).

Of course, at it’s best, this would only cut the noise on two sides. The output end would still be just as loud. Best I could do would be to position it to direct that noise in the least offensive direction.

Does this sound (no pun intended) like a workable idea? Or should I just start with one EU2000? I could always max out the credit card and get a second EU2000 later if I found I needed more power. Or split the difference and get a Yamaha EF2400. It seems like a single EU2000 is just too close to being maxed out running the AC.  

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local time: 08:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:50 AM

deleted

Edited by clairemr1, 16 December 2016 - 06:56 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,340 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

I don't know anyone personally, including myself, that has a need for anything bigger than a single Honda 2000, (or equivalent,) unless you plan on generating power to amp up a rock band. Not to mention slogging around all the unnecessary extra weight and taking up more storage space with that big gen-set. I'm sure that the added noise produced by that thing will also endear you to everyone camping around you as well. And my Honda 2000 runs my A/C just fine, even set on "Eco Mode".

Doubling of the volume (loudness) should be sensed as a level difference of +10 dB − acousticians say.

+10 dB is the level of twice the perceived volume or twice as loud (loudness) in psychoacoustics − mostly sensed.

Edited by Euphoria, 16 December 2016 - 07:21 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#4 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' ID
  • Trailer Name:Steamboat

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:55 AM

Sound attenuation is part of my every day projects. Sound enclosures can be home made...but keep in mind that you are adding weight! To be effective, at least two types of sound deadening or sound absorption material should be used to get maximum value. Before you begin you should ask the equipment supplier for a "signature" of the noise, every company has these...some do not want to share this information while others understand that this information is sometimes vital. The denser the material, the better the noise reduction...but, there is a limit to the effectiveness of any material. If I were designing a "noise abatement" for a generator, I would fabricate an aluminum rail system that simply "supports" removable quilted fiberglass pads. These pads can be removed...or left on. They are pretty resistant to weather. But you won't need them during traveling so I would remove them for that & put them on at the camp site. You can purchase this material on line and make this sound enclosure as simple or complex as you wish. The closer you install the sound material to the LOUDEST noise source, the happier you will be. Get a cheap noise meter (Radio Shack) to test the noise from the gen set and then apply the material accordingly. You should see between 6 & 12 dBA (A scale) reduction. If not, you did something wrong.

• Euphoria, RADAR1 and Meadowlark like this

Karl & Norma with Scout "The Wonder Dog"

2013 Honda Pilot AWD - EX-L

#5 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

I don't know anyone personally, including myself, that has a need for anything bigger than a single Honda 2000, (or equivalent,) unless you plan on generating power to amp up a rock band. Not to mention slogging around all the unnecessary extra weight and taking up more storage space with that big gen-set. I'm sure that the added noise produced by that thing will also endear you to everyone camping around you as well. And my Honda 2000 runs my A/C just fine, even set on "Eco Mode".

Doubling of the volume (loudness) should be sensed as a level difference of +10 dB − acousticians say.

+10 dB is the level of twice the perceived volume or twice as loud (loudness) in psychoacoustics − mostly sensed.

I've read conflicting reports on the EU2000. Some say it can run any Casita AC with no problems. Others say that it may initially start the AC, but have trouble cycling it On and Off (the AC requires more amps to get the compressor going once the system is pressurized).

I've heard some people say that the EU2000 can run the AC at 90 degrees, but can't handle 100 degree weather (I live in Texas, so 100 degree tempertures are not uncommon).

I read once posting of a guy that tried to use an EU2000 to run his AC non-stop during a Texas Summer, and burned out the Honda in a week. He replaced it with a cheap 3000 watt gennie and had no further problems. 

While the little Honda is a fantastic generator, it's pretty well maxed out running just the AC. I've also got a little dorm-sized freezer in my trailer. I don't think there's any way a 2000 watt gennie could handle that along with the AC.

#6 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,340 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

No problem. I just hope you aren't camped next to me when you're running that thing.

I've read conflicting reports on the EU2000. Some say it can run any Casita AC with no problems. Others say that it may initially start the AC, but have trouble cycling it On and Off (the AC requires more amps to get the compressor going once the system is pressurized).  I don't know where you've been getting all this bum dope from, but if you can "initially" start it, (as with any electric motor which will draw approximately 3 times the "running current" required to come up to running speed,) I don't understand your "logic" when you say that it will start, but it won't continue to run on the generator.

I've heard some people say that the EU2000 can run the AC at 90 degrees, but can't handle 100 degree weather (I live in Texas, so 100 degree temperatures are not uncommon). I have used mine many times in Nevada in the summer when it has been over 105 0 F in the sun with no shade, during most of the day, and it worked fine.

I read once posting of a guy that tried to use an EU2000 to run his AC non-stop during a Texas Summer, and burned out the Honda in a week. He replaced it with a cheap 3000 watt gennie and had no further problems. Don't know what the conditions were, or the demands he was attempting to place on it, so it really isn't relevant without more particulars.

While the little Honda is a fantastic generator, it's pretty well maxed out running just the AC. I've also got a little dorm-sized freezer in my trailer. I don't think there's any way a 2000 watt gennie could handle that along with the AC. Yes, you're not going to be able to run the A/C, the microwave, and several other appliances simultaneously, but then, you need to look at the total amperage draw you're asking of it. If you need to travel with a large generator, capable of supplying the whole trailer park, then I guess that you will need that big monstrosity, but very few of us have experienced the need for such a large gen-set in real life. If it makes you happy, and it allows you to run every electrical appliance you have at the same time, then I guess you'll need it. My only request would be just please don't camp within a half mile of me, so I don't have to listen to that noisy thing.

Edited by Euphoria, 16 December 2016 - 09:52 PM.

• Us burros and MGD like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#7 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:35 AM

also keep in mind many np/nf and other public places have noise limit requirements. if you are using a generator that exceeds those limits, you may be asked to leave the cg. just saying that you may be limiting your campground choices when you decide to go with a much larger/noisier generator.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#8 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 696 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD
  • Interests:Classic Fiberglass Boats, Hot Babes, Fine Cigars, & Good Whiskey
  • Trailer Name:No Tell Motel & Cigar Lounge

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:44 AM

The simple fact is "quiet" generators cost big bucks because it takes a LOT of precise engineering to be able to enclose an air cooled engine and a bunch of electronics inside a box AND make it have a long service life.. Trying to make an enclosure for a generator that wasn't designed for it is virtually guaranteeing an early demise for that generator.. 

For your situation, the Honda EU3000i or if you're on a tight budget the Champion 3100 Inverter generators would be the best choice.. In some applications, these generators can actually be QUIETER than the Honda EU2000i because they can handle higher loads while on "Eco" mode that would have the smaller EU2000 screaming at WOT to power..

To paraphrase an old Hot Rodder's saying..... "Quiet generators cost.... How quiet do you want to spend??"

Edited by CC-John, 17 December 2016 - 06:45 AM.

• Euphoria, Meadowlark and Steamboat like this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

FGRV #1 1973 Century Resorter 16 - Powered by Chrysler LM318 225HP V-8

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 2007 Casita 17SD - Powered by Onan CampPower 2500LP

CASITA PICS

#9 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:50 AM

also keep in mind many np/nf and other public places have noise limit requirements. if you are using a generator that exceeds those limits, you may be asked to leave the cg. just saying that you may be limiting your campground choices when you decide to go with a much larger/noisier generator.

Thanks. 

Even more important than campgrounds rules is the fact that I don't want to annoy my neighbors. That's why I wanted to find out if there's a practical way to quiet down a less expensive generator before getting one. 

#10 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:59 AM

The simple fact is "quiet" generators cost big bucks because it takes a LOT of precise engineering to be able to enclose an air cooled engine and a bunch of electronics inside a box AND make it have a long service life.. Trying to make an enclosure for a generator that wasn't designed for it is virtually guaranteeing an early demise for that generator.. 

For your situation, the Honda EU3000i or if you're on a tight budget the Champion 3100 Inverter generators would be the best choice.. In some applications, these generators can actually be QUIETER than the Honda EU2000i because they can handle higher loads while on "Eco" mode that would have the smaller EU2000 screaming at WOT to power..

To paraphrase an old Hot Rodder's saying..... "Quiet generators cost.... How quiet do you want to spend??"

I fear you're right. Sometimes there's a homemade clunky solution to a problem that's as effective as the more elegant factory solution. For half the price, I could put up with an ugly homemade enclosure if it would actually work. But I don't want to burn up a good air-cooled engine and/or still have an annoyingly loud generator. 

On a side note, would a linked pair of EU2000s be quieter than an EU3000? That would mean two engines running, but both at less throttle than one bigger engine...

#11 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:15 AM

I fear you're right. Sometimes there's a homemade clunky solution to a problem that's as effective as the more elegant factory solution. For half the price, I could put up with an ugly homemade enclosure if it would actually work. But I don't want to burn up a good air-cooled engine and/or still have an annoyingly loud generator. 

On a side note, would a linked pair of EU2000s be quieter than an EU3000? That would mean two engines running, but both at less throttle than one bigger engine...

By the time you pony up for a pair of EU2000's, and the parallel kit you're getting pretty close to the price point of an EU3000,, Then with twin generators you have the care & feeding of two engines instead of only one.. Another thing to consider is that the small size & light weight of the EU2000's make them a bigger theft risk than the much larger & heavier EU3000..

IIRC, somewhere here on the forum, somebody posted pics of an EU3000 mounted on a rack over their Casita's LP tanks..

Edited by CC-John, 17 December 2016 - 07:16 AM.

CC-John

"I void warranties"

BOAT PICS

CASITA PICS

#12 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:22 AM

another thing to consider is your ability to handle the weight of a larger/heavier generator. i can fairly easily handle the honda 2000 even full with gas, i wouldn't be able to lug a larger one around. i don't move mine from it's low pro lockdown except for maintenance, but weight is still a factor in the rv life. could you attend some rallies and check out what others are using/how they work before purchasing your own?

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#13 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:16 AM

I had rejected the EU3000 as being too heavy to lift by myself. 

But if I got a 2 wheeled dolly, then it would be easy to lift off the ground and wheel around. Then I'd need a ramp to get it in and out of my pickup. But once I had a ramp and dolly, they would also be useful for loading heavy ice chests and general stuff hauled in the pickup. 

Hmmm....

#14 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

Don't sell the Champion 3100W Inverter generators short, I own several Champion products and their parts availability and customer service rivals that of Honda but with a lot lower cost to purchase.. The 3100 Champion is also about 25 pounds lighter than the Honda EU3000i and comes standard with a wheel kit and a 30A "RV" outlet on the control panel..

Champion also offers a "Dual Fuel" model that comes setup to run off of gasoline or propane, installing a connector into the Casita's LP system would allow you to feed the generator from the trailer's LP tanks and avoid having to cart around a can of gasoline for the generator..

Edited by CC-John, 17 December 2016 - 09:04 AM.

CC-John

"I void warranties"

BOAT PICS

CASITA PICS

#15 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

I have the Yamaha 2400. I wanted something I could use for more than just the trailer. Also I didn't want to worry about whether I could turn on other devices while running the A/C on the Casita. It's amazingly quiet also. Even though I have a platform I can use to lock the generator to the rear hitch of the trailer while parked, I usually just run it out of the back of my truck with tailgate down and Tonneau cover down.

2014 17' Casita SD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: generator, noise