• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Texas T

Texas T
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 12:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hey, since I am in the dreaming planning phase of a Casita I am on different forums and one item that has caught my attention and that is inside condensation.

Other forums say that due to the inside cover on the Casita there is condensation.  So my concern is how much are we talking about?

If it is considerable why not install a boat plug in the rv and just tip the trailer to run all water to the plug and drain any water inside the unit and then air dry with a fan and open all windows.  Again, just thinking outloud.

#2 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 01:37 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

I'm confused by your post. Where are you thinking there would be condensation? And where would you put a drain plug? I've never had a condensation problem on my Casita, and have never heard of anyone else having a condensation problem.

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts
  • Local time: 10:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

Ditto, what flcoxjr said. Never had any condensation, ever, and have never heard of anyone with a Casita having such issues. Don't know where you heard that, but somebody is full of it. If you need a drain plug, you have a water leak. It wouldn't be condensation. Hope this dispels your worrying about a non-issue.

Edited by Euphoria, 11 July 2016 - 04:59 PM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#4 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 09:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

I would think the inside cover as you call it prevents condensation. No condensation issues on mine or any I've heard of.

Perhaps you are thinking of the air conditioning condensation.  The air conditioners don't have a drain line and depending on how you level your trailer condensation runs down the outside of the trailer.  Not a big issue.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Edited by Wally Z, 11 July 2016 - 05:05 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#5 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:11 PM

I level out my trailer pretty good when I set up and use the A/C quite a bit. In Nevada I run it almost continuously for several days without problems. It does produce condensation, (which they all do,) but I've never had so much as one drop of it leak into my trailer. It just runs down the outside, via the "weep holes," in the A/C mounting base above the roof and down to the belly band where it tends to find its own point of departure to the ground.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#6 graham

graham
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Liberty
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, yoga, massage, cycling, hiking

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

Condensation can be a problem in small spaces in the winter when there is a good source of water vapor.  Anyone that has tented in cold weather can attest to the water running off the tent walls just from respiration.   Cooking,  showering and respiration  can lead to a fair amount of condensation if the casita is sealed tight.   The furnace in winter can allow for ventilation from a window  and the AC in summer will dehumidify.   So it is easy to avoid excess moisture.

• Carol Christensen likes this

#7 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,379 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:35 AM

Depending on the outside temperature and inside humidity, we have had condensation build up on the windows.  Most of the time we have a window(s) and the fan vent open.  But my husband gets up earlier than I and on cold mornings he will close the windows, then he boils water for coffee.  After he has his coffee, he walks the dogs and by the time I get up there is condensation on the windows.  It's kind of a trade-off, if he used the stove fan, it wouldn't happen but he is trying to be quiet so I can sleep in.

It only happens when there is no ventilation. 

I don't understand why people think the carpeting on the walls causes condensation.  The carpeting insulates so the outside temperature does not effect those areas and keeps condensation down..

• Meadowlark, clairemr1 and Steamboat like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#8 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 01:37 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

I would agree with everyone else in two years and a dozen trips with and without AC no condensation issues. Best little trailer you can buy in my opinion.

Safe travels to all,

Steve and Patty

#9 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

Well, boiling water will certainly produce steam, and when steam hits a cold surface you'll surely get condensation forming. That said, you don't even need to boil water, (or coffee,) because even just having your propane stove lit and running will create condensation. It is a by-product of decomposition when fossil fuels are burned, and since propane is one of them, you can expect to create condensation just by lighting the stove. Of course, the simple work around for this is to open a window or turn on a fan. Not really hard to do either one, and it will cure your condensation problem. Incidentally, it is not good, nor recommended, to use any open flame or catalytic appliance in an enclosed space without adequate ventilation anyway. 

Edited by Euphoria, 12 July 2016 - 11:15 AM.

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#10 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,409 posts
  • Local time: 11:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

In thirteen years of ownership condensation has never been a problem.  Keep a vent and a bit of window open when you cook or shower.  

If that fails, move to Arizona or New Mexico.  10% humidity means a wet day  :glare:

Dutchman

• greenjeans, Joe Z, Beetlefreak and 2 others like this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#11 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Local time: 09:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:30 PM

Like Euphoria, I live in The Car Wash State (WA) where it rains. A LOT. In the winter, it rains virtually every day. My camper is under a cover and protected from the wind, but it's still exposed to outside temperatures.

In the winter, in 'dry dock', I run an 'oil heater' in the camper. It's an enclosed heater, no exposed flames, no fumes, and it's silent. I do this primarily to ward off and prevent mildew (the state flower).

When we camp, it's usually in cold areas and if we don't open a window or a vent as we go to bed, there will be condensation on the windows in the morning, just from our respiration. . I wipe it off as part of morning maintenance. Same goes with the bathroom/shower. After a shower/bath, we squeegee the walls down and make sure everything is nice and dry. This, again, is to prevent mildew and mold.

If you cook inside the camper, open the range vent. That dispels most if not all moisture laden air from things like coffee pots, etc.

But for run of the mill condensation, no. I've never had any issues with condensation in the Casita.

• NASA42 B and clairemr1 like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#12 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:13 AM

what meadowlark said. i sometimes get window condensation overnight in cold weather when i don't crack open a window. i simply wipe it off and move on with my day. same with shower, i wipe down everything after showering so things stay dry in there. i also removed and stored the bathroom door and have a nice curtain outside and casita shower curtain inside. it adds more ambient light and seems larger inside with the door off, and again, keeps mold/mildew from getting started in there.

condensation is a non issue unless you have a leak somewhere.........................

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#13 Blacksmith

Blacksmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2017 Liberty Delux 17'
  • Interests:Ham Radio/electronics
  • Trailer Name:Cassie

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

We live near the Pacific in NorCal. Two days after arriving home with our new LD 17' in Nov., 2016, the windows were coated in condensation, most hard surfaces felt damp to the touch. Night time temps were mid-30's, hi-40's day time. Sporadic rain. I cracked open a side window, opened the bath door and set the furnace to about 75 degrees. Left it on all night. Dried everything out. Then ordered a 12VDC small dehumidifier off Amazon, based on neighbir's recommendation...he uses it on his Lance. I have to modify the wiring on the unit to work directly off DC instead of using a wall wart switching power supply the unit provides. So, yes, depending on where you live humidity can be an issue, but easily solved for about $75.
Blacksmith

#14 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:50 AM

some people have good results with "damp rid", available in walmart as well as other places. comes in canister or even a hanging option for the closet. just open it up and let it dry out the condensation.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#15 madjack

madjack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 130 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 FD17
  • Interests:camping, shooting sports, camp cooking, building "stuff" and anything that gets me out doors

About me...20+yrs as a commercial OTR driver, logging over 2million accident free miles...previous to that, 20 yrs in the construction trades...owned a few travel trailers and teardrop campers along with more single and double axle utility trailers than I can count and as such have hauled everything from a nail, a 2x4, vehicles, construction equipment of all kinds all the way up to 100,000# steel beams, chemicals and other heavy haul and haz-mat item(s)
  • Trailer Name:Gator Eggs and Boudin(boo-dan)

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:23 AM

some people have good results with "damp rid", available in walmart as well as other places. comes in canister or even a hanging option for the closet. just open it up and let it dry out the condensation.

...tis what I use...I get the little bucket and refill packs for about 5 bux from local super market in the cleaning supplies aisle...seems to work pretty well for us, down here in Louisiana............

madjack B)

Jack and Marlene driving a.......'99 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE ext cab.......max suspension/cooling package..........5.3l V8auto w/200,000 mi and still hummin' along..........