• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Local time: 12:08 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 SD #12415
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.
  • Trailer Name:Gone Walkabout
  • Casita Club Directory #:14442

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:40 PM

when I use my Honda 2000i for power; the voltage drops to below 10v when the compressor comes on. I read Don's post and was excited to order a SPP61 condenser . It turns out that that I have a Mach 8 Cub, model 4721A876 unlike the model referred to by Don.

The question is can I use the SPP61 on my 4721A876 ?

As a point of interest, I bought a USB (uninterruptible power supply) to keep my TV and DVD player running when the power drops. I haven't tried it yet but I think it will work.

#32 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:43 PM

Well it's been 5 years now. I modified the external power cord so that it plugs into the side of the trailer. I had rodents get into the trailer via the external power cord access door. Now the generator will no longer run the a/c. I guess there was too much resistance added by the plug. Options now appear to be a parallel 2000 Honda or a higher wattage generator all together. I really didn't need the extra weight but I have to have the a/c while off the grid.

#33 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 465 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:23 PM

I would go with the 3000. I had a 2000 and upgraded to a 3000 for more if I needed it.

#34 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:40 AM

I would go with the 3000. I had a 2000 and upgraded to a 3000 for more if I needed it.

What kind of 3000 watt generator did you get?

#35 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 465 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 04 July 2021 - 11:45 AM

I had a Honda 1000 and it wouldnt run my ceramic heater in my motorcycle camper, so I upgraded to a Honda 2000 to solve that problem.
Talked to my friend that sells Honda generators and got a Honda 3000 for whatever needs that come up.
I originally had a Generac brand 3600 series for my car hauler to run the ac/heater unit and other electrical components for car shows. I wound up giving it to my other friend that I camp with.

#36 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,626 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:25 AM

I had a Honda 2000 for about 5 years then it gave out. It got heavy use in Texas in the summer and running the AC unit long & often was just pushing it too hard. 

We now have 3 Champion generators. My first was an emergency purchase from another Casita owner. It is a 3500-4000 open frame type. At about the same db rating as the Honda 2000 when "off" eco mode running the Casita AC unit. He had a db meter and we compared the level of noise of both. He was upgrading to a Champion inverter (quiter) genie. https://www.champion...watt-generator/

I ran this generator 24/7 in August thru the second week of October in the Texas heat. It never had a hiccup. I was told it is the genie of choice for the National Forest Service. 

My next genies 6 years ago was & still is (I used it this weekend at the LBJ Grasslands NF boondocking) is a Champion 3400/3100 Watt inverter. It has been outstanding and quiet. I can run every thing I need without having to turn off the AC unit while use the hair dryer or microwave. It does weight 80# but I can still get it into the bed of the pickup. I like the fact that I am not pushing it to the bring of death. It is less than half the price of the Honda.

https://www.champion...-watt-inverter/

This winter I picked up the new Champion 2500 Watt genie for our winter camping and running power tools around the ranch. I used it to keep the Casita warm during the Feb. Texas Deep Freeze. While the 3400/3100 genie kept a space heater on in the house and kept the pipes from freezing when we had no power for 4 days.  https://www.champion...-watt-inverter/

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#37 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 802 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 08 July 2021 - 06:34 AM

I had the Champion 3400/3100 generator for years and it was a beast! It ran quiet and produced plenty of power, but it was overkill for my needs. I ended up selling it last fall and downsized to the Champion 2500/1850 and really like it as well. It is much lighter and produces enough power for my needs. I have it strapped to a cargo carrier mounted to the back of our Casita. Champion makes a solid product that competes well with other manufacturers, and at half the price, I can buy two for the price of one Honda. I am sure that Honda makes a great generator, but they are not without their problems. I have several friends that struggle with them.

Toddy

#38 Alva

Alva
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 10:08 PM

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:17 AM

Toddy,

What do you tow with and do you pull with just a stabilizer bar?  I pull with a 7 passenger Santa fe with 700# tongue weight and 5,000 # towing. Have never hauled a lot of weight on my cargo carrier ( bolted to frame)  .

Regards.. Alva

#39 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 802 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 09 July 2021 - 08:06 AM

I tow with a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - 4.0 Liter / 6-cylnder with 5,000 lbs. of towing capacity. I use the anti-sway bar that came with the Casita. The generator only weighs 39 pounds and we carry an RTIC cooler with 20 lbs. of ice in it and a small plastic tote with some gear. I'm guessing total extra weight is about 100 lbs. give or take a few lbs. My larger Champion generator weighed about 90 lbs. which is why I downsized to a smaller, lighter weight unit. Best of luck!

Toddy