• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Latestarter

Latestarter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 08:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Kayak fishing, MLB baseball, writing, cinema.

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

I'm picking up our new Casita soon, and haven't been able to find an answer on these forums, although I've searched. I called Casita and they say the rooftop AC unit is 9000 BTU's, pulls 1700 watts to start and runs around 1,200 watts. They say that most owners use the Honda 2000 unit, but I see there is a difference of opinion. I assume the unit is the Coleman Pup 9200 BTU rooftop AC from other posts.

I would prefer the 2000 because of the cost and the weight but don't want to underpower the AC. If it's simply a matter of turning it off to use the microwave that's fine.

I'm sure this was asked and answered before but I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks,

• Tampa Rick likes this

#2 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 11:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

I have a 2015 17SD and I use a Honda eu2000i generator. The generator runs the AC with no problem, even on eco-mode. It will not run a microwave and AC at the same time.

#3 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,626 posts
  • Local time: 10:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:13 PM

some of the differences in opinions on the size of generator needed is dependent on several factors.

• It has been said/confirmed that one of the newer AC units available has less of a appetite for Watts to run it. Larry at LHC has settled in on a replacement model that will easily run on the Honda 2000

• If an AC unit is older it may have a greater draw of Watts than when it was new. 

• Will there be times you will have to run the generator 24x7 to keep the AC running in a very hot environment. If this is the case you may want to consider a larger unit that can take the beating. 

We had a Honda 2000 for better than 5 years before it's life ended. We live in Texas, do a lot of summer boondocking so we needed to run the generator for many days at a time, non-stop. I really liked the smaller Honda. I replaced it with a larger generator based on our needs and ambient conditions.

So with the Honda 2000 if you will not run the AC, hair dryer, toaster or microwave at the same time you will be in good shape. 

I believe you now have two AC choices when purchasing a new 17' Casita Mach 1 energy saver and the very very loud and noisy Mach 8

follow this link and read Larry's evaluation. 

fixed the link

http://www.casitafor...s/page__st__375

Happy Travels!

Clover

Edited by clover, 18 February 2016 - 06:09 AM.

• U.S.M.C. Don and Tampa Rick like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#4 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Local time: 09:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

The link does not open for some reason.  Give it another try please.

Dutchman 

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#5 Latestarter

Latestarter
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

I tried the link too and got the response that I'm not signed in, but obviously I am. I'll email Casita to verify which AC unit is going to be installed, but it sounds like the Mach 8. I plan on keeping the generator in the back of my pickup under the shell, but at 150 lbs this 64 year old body would appreciate something lighter if it will do the job. I've also seen secure brackets that lock which can be attached to the tongue, but I would need to make sure the unit stayed protected from water intrusion into the plugs so would need a cover I think. It may just be easier to leave it in the bed of the truck.

I also assume I have to put an additive in the gas to eliminate ethanol, but would appreciate confirmation on that.

Thanks

#6 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 413 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

That link Clover posted is a generic search link on CasitaForum.

If you hop over there and search "Mach 8"  (with the quotes) you will find several Mach 1 vs Mach 8 threads.

Jim

Orbital Machine Works online store
http://www.perfectcasita.com

#7 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

I tried the link too and got the response that I'm not signed in, but obviously I am. I'll email Casita to verify which AC unit is going to be installed, but it sounds like the Mach 8. I plan on keeping the generator in the back of my pickup under the shell, but at 150 lbs this 64 year old body would appreciate something lighter if it will do the job. I've also seen secure brackets that lock which can be attached to the tongue, but I would need to make sure the unit stayed protected from water intrusion into the plugs so would need a cover I think. It may just be easier to leave it in the bed of the truck.

I also assume I have to put an additive in the gas to eliminate ethanol, but would appreciate confirmation on that.

Thanks

The Honda 2000 will definitely run your AC. I have the Mach 8, and my Honda 2000 runs it fine, even on eco mode. The other AC some people are using is the Mach 1 Power Saver, which puts out more btus but uses less power, and it will also run on the Honda 2000.

You should definitely use a fuel stabilizer, which by the way does not eliminate the ethanol. Also, run the generator under load for at least an hour every month and that will help keep the carburetor clean.

• Tampa Rick likes this

#8 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 07:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

Really surprised you can't find any information on the forum.  This is one of most FAQ's.  I don't have the Honda 2000, but can tell you it will work just fine just from all the post I've read.  I have a Yamaha 2400 which I decided to get because I want something I could also use for other things as well.  I've seen and heard the Honda 2000 and they are very quiet.  So are the Yamahas.

• Tampa Rick likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#9 Latestarter

Latestarter
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:46 PM

Thanks to all for the info. I don't see any problem with the Honda 2000 either from the responses here and on the Fiberglass RV website forums.

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

i have the honda 2000 and love it. it is permanently mounted at the rear of my 2013 patriot deluxe via OMW's low pro lockdown welded to a harbor freight cargo carrier. it easily runs several things at once in my little trailer. i've learned to use pure gas, non ethanol, if i can find it and to add sta-bil and seafoam to every fill up. it keeps the carburator cleaner. i've also needed to learn to clean the carburator after i got some bad gas this summer traipsing around the country for several months. i also run it under load every month for at least an hour. it's given me so much more freedom to travel in comfort and i'm very glad i have it. i think you'll love yours too. best of luck...............

• Tampa Rick and Latestarter like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:02 PM

Here is a link to a website listing ethanol free gas stations across the country.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

• Tampa Rick and Latestarter like this

#12 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 SD #12415
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.
  • Trailer Name:Gone Walkabout
  • Casita Club Directory #:14442

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

I have a Honda 2000 - started it after I bought it, didn't use it for three months, wouldn't start - had carb cleaned for $120+. Need to be meticulous about draining carb after use and about using fresh fuel. Gen runs AC but I don't like the drag it puts on the gen when it starts. Not sure about long term affect of starting load.
  • MGD and Tampa Rick like this

#13 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:09 AM

here is the correct link

sorry for the confusion

http://www.casitafor...s/page__st__375

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#14 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:19 AM

i have the honda 2000 and love it. it is permanently mounted at the rear of my 2013 patriot deluxe via OMW's low pro lockdown welded to a harbor freight cargo carrier. it easily runs several things at once in my little trailer. i've learned to use pure gas, non ethanol, if i can find it and to add sta-bil and seafoam to every fill up. it keeps the carburator cleaner. i've also needed to learn to clean the carburator after i got some bad gas this summer traipsing around the country for several months. i also run it under load every month for at least an hour. it's given me so much more freedom to travel in comfort and i'm very glad i have it. i think you'll love yours too. best of luck...............

Claire 

OP is asking if the Honda 2000 will run the bigger AC units found on the 17' Casitas. If he is not (or others that read this post in the future) aware of the fact that the 16' or 13'(like yours) have a smaller AC with far less watts he might think the Honda 2000 will run the AC and all the appliances without a hitch.  

There are a few of the older 17' that have the smaller AC unit mounted in the closet like the 13' & 16'. However this is not the case the newer units.

I wish there was a smaller AC unit in the 17' the Coleman overhead is a bit of over kill...........but that is good when it is 100+ outside

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#15 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:38 AM

yes, definitely there is a difference, as stated by others here, in running appliances depending on what size trailer you have. the honda 2000 can run ALL the acs in ALL sized casitas as i understand it. however, in the 17 ft, it is reported that it can only run the ac alone, you need to turn off the ac when using things like microwave, hair dryer, etc.. in the 13ft and 16ft trailers, the ac is the smaller friedrich and mounted under the closet. the honda 2000 in my 13ft patriot deluxe easily runs the ac or electric heater i use, depending on weather conditions, as well as microwave, refrigerator and a LED light. i assume this is also true in the 16ft casitas, since the only difference in the 13 and 16ft SD casitas is the 13 ft doesn't have a permanent small side table/seating, so they split the galley to use that space.

bottom line, the honda 2000 runs all the acs in all the trailers. you just need to turn off the ac when using other appliances in the 17 ft size. you'll learn the capacity of your generator when you start using it. living/camping in your trailer will teach you how to use the honda to best advantage, according to your size trailer and power uses.

before i committed to the honda, i camped/travelled for a while, to learn my camping style. when i found that i did, indeed, want a generator, i visited larry gamble. he had a honda 2000, hooked it up to my casita and we experimented. when i saw how easily it ran several major appliances at once without a hiccup, i was convinced and ordered mine. if you know of anyone with the honda, you might try it on your trailer too before purchase. might even be worth renting one. nothing like actually having one connected to your trailer to show you exactly how well it works.

i hope you enjoy your honda as much as i've enjoyed mine. happy camping.

Edited by clairemr1, 18 February 2016 - 06:50 AM.

• Tampa Rick likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host