7 replies to this topic

#1 nancyharper

nancyharper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts
  • Local time: 02:35 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17"

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

Has anyone had experience with the honda 200?.  I just bought one and wonder if I have made a mistake.  It looks like it will not be powerful enough to run the coleman mach 8  ac/warm air blower on the new 2015.  I think it will at least run the AC.  I thought I could then get a cheap porcelain heater at wal-mart, but it looks like even that takes up too many amps.  What experience do you have or what advice could you give.  We really didn't want a bigger heavier generator but this one may not be what we need.  Nancy

#2 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,617 posts
  • Local time: 08:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

most of the small ceramic heaters are generally in the 1500 watt range, the Honda 2000 should be able to run the heater. that said you probably won't be able to run a toaster, microwave or hair dryer at the same time. it is easy enough to alternate the use of those appliances at different times. since most folks won't be using any of the later mentioned electrical items for more than a few minutes

however, if you are going to use a ceramic heater for hours at a time to keep the Casita warm while camping........  i would be looking for an alternative form to heat the Casita. although i run a genie 24x7 while dry camping in the summer heat of Texas because there is no valid replacement to cool the Castia. there are better ways to heat the Casita in winter than pairing a electric heater with a generator, IMHO

a factory installed furnace does an outstanding job. i am NOT in the Mr Buddy Heater or Olympian Wave Catalytic Heater camps. I am avid user of Mr Buddy Heater in other venues (livestock barns and deer blind) I would never use one  in a small camper like a Casita because it is too difficult to find a spot where it won't run the risk of having something come in contact with it that can start a fire............fire, been there, done that, scared me so much I wasn't sleepy for a week.

Clover

• sandyb12 and nancyharper like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#3 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 06:35 AM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

I easily run a ceramic 1500 watt ceramic heater..... and on eco mode it slows down to almost an idle and supplies plenty of heat. I haven't tried the heat strip in the air conditioner but it does run the air conditioner with no problem.

You made a good choice with the Honda 2000

On maintenance of the Honda try to run it once a month with eco off and put under load (Like a ceramic heater on high)....run it for thirty minutes and it will run forever. If i go three months without doing that it surges and i need to clean out the carb which is fairly easy from the many youtube videos

Edited by Joe Z, 16 November 2015 - 07:25 PM.

• nancyharper likes this

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#4 Casita Banana

Casita Banana
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:'93 16SD solar powered
  • Interests:Kayaking, hiking, photography, dry camping, intellectual pursuits
  • Trailer Name:Casita Banana

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

As far as I'm concerned, generators have ruined a couple of my favorite campgrounds.

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:18 AM

I easily run a ceramic 1500 watt ceramic heater..... and on eco mode it slows down to almost an idle and supplies plenty of heat. I haven't tried the heat strip in the air conditioner but it does run the air conditioner with no problem.

You made a good choice with the Honda 2000

On maintenance of the Honda try to run it once a month with eco off and put under load (Like a ceramic heater on high)....run it for thirty minutes and it will run forever. If i go three months without doing that it surges and i need to clean out the carb which is fairly easy from the many youtube videos

nancy, i agree with everything joe says. many of us use the honda 2000 and love it, it's quiet, light weight and reliable. you don't state your location or trailer age, but i'd encourage you to start using it asap so you know it's capability. i used mine extensively last spring/summer while doing mostly boondocking on a 12,500 mile trip and it easily ran my electric heater when i left north texas may 8 and my ac as i made my way west and north through the summer. good luck with it.

Edited by clairemr1, 18 November 2015 - 10:31 AM.

• Joe Z and nancyharper like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,617 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

As far as I'm concerned, generators have ruined a couple of my favorite campgrounds.

Casita Banana

If the campground allows generators and you don't like generators, find one that does not allow generators, there are plenty of them available. There are often large sections or loops that do not allow genies anywhere.  It is like restaurants that allow smoking, we don't go to those. 

With winter camping(dry camping) or cold weather camping we use a generator for less than an hour every 24 hours to recharge the battery since we have the factory furnace. So if your were camping within in 100 feet of us you would hear the genie for maybe 1 hour a day (30 min morning & 30 min evening). But at that distance it would not be any louder than talking to someone. However if you dry camped near us in the summer (off grid/boondock) in Texas or somewhere else above 95 degrees, you would hear our genie if you were in your Casita with no AC and all of the windows open. However, if you had your windows close and somehow powering your AC you could not hear us or anyone one else with a genie.

A blanket statement that all generators are bad and all people that use them are inconsiderate, is a bigoted statement. I don't think that is what you meant, but some folks do lump all of us together. 

Clover

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#7 nancyharper

nancyharper
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts
  • Local time: 02:35 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17"

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

Thank you everybody for all the help and advice.  I guess Walt and I should gas it up and try it out.

Nancy

• SKYTALKER and clairemr1 like this

#8 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 06:35 AM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:04 AM

I have the 2000i Honda generator and use it mostly for air conditioning. I've purchased a 50 watt solar panel and it easily keep up with my frugal needs and the genny rarely get any use

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Generator, Honda 2000 Heater