17 replies to this topic

#16 J and J

J and J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 85 posts
  • Local time: 07:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe/17ft

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:42 AM

What Euphoria said in post #9. I just replaced our Parallax 7345 which was still working but which I also suspect of diminishing our battery life. Also, if circumstances permit us to go to Quartzsite this year I do not want to do an extended boon docking trip with that old converter.

Go to Best Converters and get a PD4645VL 4 stage charge converter and the $15 pendant. The pendant keeps you from having to replace the fuse panel although I did so just to benefit from new solders and new soldering technology. Take lots of photos and notes prior to pulling things apart and then follow instructions pertaining to replacing the converter model you have. I did have to reroute some wiring entering the bottom of the fuse panel box to come in over the top of the fuse panel which entailed punching out cutouts on the back of the box. All eminently doable.

John    

#17 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,339 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:34 AM

The remote pendant is worth getting, and it's reasonably priced for about $15 bucks. I mounted the remote readout to the partition near the overhead cabinets so I can see it easily. (Of course it can be mounted pretty much anywhere you want within the length of the cord.) Here's some pics of my converter swap-out with the PD 4645 unit I installed. The remote readout just plugs into the converter. No special wiring needed for that piece. Plug-and-play remote unit.

After I installed the new 12 vdc fuse board that came with it, which has the new "blown fuse" indicating LED's, I thought that there needed to be a way to see the LED's at a glance without having to open the top converter access door each time. (And if you didn't open it, you'd never see them to know if was lit up or not.) So I measured my cover panel and cut a view port into the sheet metal, situated over where the row of LED's was on the circuit board. I just drilled two holes and removed the metal between them with my air grinder, (a jig saw would also work for the straight cuts,) and smoothed the rough edges with a "rat-tail" file. Then I added a piece of clear plastic to the back side of the cutout to serve as a viewing window. Now I can see at a glance if I have a blown fuse without having to open the top door.

new 007.JPG  new 003.JPG  new 008.JPG  new 002.JPG  new 001.JPG  

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#18 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 781 posts
  • Local time: 07:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:52 PM

... All eminently doable.

John    

You had me at "eminently!" What a great word.

I replaced mine last spring and have noticed the difference in how it maintains the battery. I anticipate that it will extend the life of my battery as I am able to leave my trailer plugged in at the house when we are not camping. I am very pleased with it thus far, and you are right, it was eminently doable.

Toddy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: converter, power, dc, charging, battery, battery charging