83 replies to this topic

#31 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 09:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:17 AM

I'm no expert but I've read a lot into different fiberglass trailer remodels and have never heard of the issue "double stick material" reality you can be as inventive as you desire to be. I saw one build that was a 13ft may have been an old Casita, what he did was use an adhesive cant remember what he used but it was permanent and could adhere to the fiberglass and the reflective bubble wrap material he lined his trailer with. Then after that all dried and settled he applied the carpet over the reflective bubble wrap material. I wouldn't simply buy into the word or opinion of the guy at the box store or me for that matter but your options are limitless.

The wiring is beyond my knowledge by far, but I've seen professional and simply done trailer refurbish regarding the electrical work.

#32 JennandGraeme

JennandGraeme
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1984 16' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Snowboarding, mt biking, kayaking, hiking, gardening,

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:46 AM

The old adhesive is all removed. Itchy work, but it's over. The wire wheel on the angle grinder made short work of it. To anyone thinking about using this approach, cover all your skin and wear a good mask! It's done, and one day later the itching is gone.
I know it may seem like I'm overly concerned about the carpet and pad thing, but I've seen snippets of people who have had the carpet fall a year later after adhering it with the wrong adhesive. I'd rather not be one of those stories. Err on the caution. And, since I don't know thing one about attaching carpet to foam, to fiberglass, I'm going to do my homework. I've settled on an indoor outdoor marine grade carpet adhesive offered by Lowes. The foam backer, I'm still looking into. I have settled on foam and a marine grade carpet. I just don't know what kind of foam yet. Actually, it may not even be foam, it may be the bubble wrap insulation, im not sure about that quite yet. Before we cross that bridge I've got to draw up a wiring diagram and at least get the wires laid out inside. Once that's done I think progress will move quickly.

#33 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:13 AM

I'd also like to add that Casita the company is very friendly and I've had quite a few phone conversations with both sales and those who work on putting together the trailer themselves with various conversation and questions and always courteous and professional.  I'm sure they would love to hear of such an older Casita getting a second chance to be on the open road.  I'm sure they would be able to point you in the right direction of at least what they do themselves regarding manufacturing and what materials are used.  

I don't know too much about foam I know there are different types but if it's anything like the stuff they use for a headliner in automobiles that stuff rots away with humidity and heat here in FL may not be an issue elsewhere. 

Doesn't hurt to try!

-Charlie

Edited by C.FiberglassFreedom, 02 August 2015 - 05:22 AM.

#34 JennandGraeme

JennandGraeme
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:29 AM

Thanks Charlie, I was actually having a moment of clarity on the way home from the box stores the other night and thought about callin casita. Then I forgot about using the most obvious source of information. duh! I think a call to casita on my lunch break tomorrow is in order.

#35 JennandGraeme

JennandGraeme
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

So, I called Casita today. I asked about pricing for a new shower enclosure ( we dint have one, just the pan). Looks like it's going to run about 1200. And not counting shipping! I think we're going to hold off on that one for a little while. As far as the wall covering, the official product Is, in fact, Kangaback. I'm looking into procuring some locally. I know there are other, more creative ways of doing this, but I'm not feeling creative on this one.

#36 JennandGraeme

JennandGraeme
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

Still waiting on the carpet guy...he's on vacation. I guess that's rural life.

#37 JennandGraeme

JennandGraeme
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:07 AM

Ok, it's been a lot of phone calls, but I finally found what I was looking for ( I think). Menards in the Yoingstown Ohio area carry Kangaback carpet and I spoke with the general manager and he agreed to ship me carpet.

#38 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,401 posts
  • Local time: 06:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

Just a small light bulb thought - When I picked up my 2003 17SD at the factory they had lots of pictures, and a real export model 16SD,  of the 16' trailers shipped to Japan under a different name than Casita. There were quite a few of those. The interiors were not carpeted but contained something else, don't know what.  Just wondering if Casita would have some of that old, perhaps already measured and cut to fit, inside stuff laying around in the factory gathering dust. Ya never know.

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#39 JennandGraeme

JennandGraeme
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:41 AM

Good thought Dutchman. I think I've found a reasonable price on Kangaback. It's not in my possession yet, so who knows.

#40 javadog

javadog
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:40 AM

Hey Graeme, here is a site I saw where somebody did a restoration on an old 16 footer like yours:  http://casitarestora.../Home_Page.html

It is mostly pictures, but might give you some inspiration and ideas.  If you are a good detective you might even be able to track the guy down.

Actually, if you google casita restoration you can find several of them.  Do an image search, too.

Edited by javadog, 02 September 2015 - 05:55 AM.

#41 JennandGraeme

JennandGraeme
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:00 AM

Thanks javadog. I've done some resto searches, you know how googling things can end up eating a lot of time....time is something I don't have a lot of. I appreciate the link, and will look at it now!

#42 JennandGraeme

JennandGraeme
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:20 PM

I've ordered six sample swatches of carpet from Menards.com. Most of the samples we ordered specified Kanga, two did not, of those two one is marine carpet, and one just said attached pad. One small step closer.

#43 JennandGraeme

JennandGraeme
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

Still waiting for the last two samples......

#44 JennandGraeme

JennandGraeme
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:30 AM

Carpet ordered from Menards in Warren Ohio. Props to Tony, the general manager and Mitch, the flooring manager. They did a fantastic job. We ended up ordering Shaw Flagship Bedrock sku# 7781600. They will hopefully be shipped out today via fed ex on an 18 wheeler to my work where I can have my coworkers help unload it and into the truck.
  • Leehman Wexlin and JerrodD like this

#45 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 06:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot (1998)
  • Trailer Name:Lolita Casita

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:02 AM

Graeme, We own a 13' Patriot, vintage 1998, which we bought in 2006. Our mods are nowhere near what you are doing -- you are both courageous and gifted!!! I'm only writing to say that we will be driving east with our Casita next summer (2016). Our place is in the NE Kingdom. Are you nearby? If so we'd love to come over to see your progress. Louise
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
13' Lolita Casita Patriot
2006 Toyota Highlander

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Restoration, carpet, floor, rivets, rehab, rehabilitation, renovation