9 replies to this topic

#1 jandvis

jandvis
  • Casita Club Member
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 08:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Independance 17'

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

I'm a newbie and have a lot to learn so patience please. I wanted to check the water in the battery but don't know how to access it. I expected it to slide out but I see angle iron in front of the battery with a wing nut and bold. Some instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Jan

#2 Retired in Reno

Retired in Reno
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 06:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Remove the wing nut and that right angle bracket comes off, then slide the battery out. You'll probably want to put a step stool or something in front of it to hold it stable while you check it, I've seen a mod on one of the forums where there is a block of wood made to lock in under the bracket and create a kind of extendable shelf, but I bit the bullet and bought one of those kits on Amazon or Camping World that replaces the battery covers with a refill system, makes it easy to fill without removing the battery at all, was about $70, I think.

#3 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

I'm a newbie and have a lot to learn so patience please. I wanted to check the water in the battery but don't know how to access it. I expected it to slide out but I see angle iron in front of the battery with a wing nut and bold. Some instructions will be greatly appreciated.

jandvis, ......

retired in Reno has already mentioned, you have to remove that wing nut and then the angle piece,.......also remember to hold onto the bolt, because it's very easy to drop it and then can be very difficult to retrieve,.......the shelf he mentioned is the post of my "cantilever battery table", it makes checking the battery much easier,.......and if I do say so myself, it's a great device and easy to make ,....the link below is that thread,.....

http://www.casitaclu...-battery-table/

Edited by fella10, 21 August 2014 - 07:53 PM.

• Retired in Reno likes this

#4 Muttley

Muttley

Muttley

• Casita Club Member
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

If you have a table or a crate that is the same height from the ground as the rails, it gives you a place for the battery to go when you slide it out.

2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra

#5 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 05:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:59 PM

Congrats on your new Casita and welcome to CC!

Once you get the battery out, tie a belt or strap around the center of the battery to make it easier to pull out the next time. I also spray the tray with silicone.

As a newbie, it sounds like you could use a copy of my A-Z Casita Owner's Guide. It has everything you need to know about a Casita, all in one place, with detailed information and photos. 

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#6 jandvis

jandvis
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

Thank you one and all. I really appreciate the instructions and suggestions.  STAY TUNED for more questions.

Jan

#7 jandvis

jandvis
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

I got the battery out and the water was fine but in my opinion, that rigging is a poor design. My fingers are pretty small and they would not fit under the front of the bracket to hold the bolt. I had to go in from the side and sure enough I dropped the bold...why does it need to be a two inch bolt?... and had to retrieve it with a magnet. Once I got the battery back into place, I thought I would never get that long bolt back into the hole! There is just no room to work!. I'm thinking of next time and will probably get a shorter bolt. The wiring situation looks pretty poor too. I saw that one of the strands of wire is already broken.

Jan

#8 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 05:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

The battery wiring that Casita uses is some of the stiffest stuff around and prone to cracking and splitting. I hated it. Also made taking the battery out a BIG PITA.

I recommend you order and install flexible battery wiring from www.LittleHouseCustoms.com/store. What a difference it makes!

Granted, it would help if the compartment door was bigger to allow better access.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#9 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

Jandvis,

the problem with dropping the bolt is easily eliminated and the how-to was available earlier in this thread....... the link included in post #3 of this thread shows how,......near the end of that thread, Don's post #8 shows photos of how to slot that bolt hole and you'll never drop the bolt again,.......

you can go one step further by replacing that original bolt with a carriage bolt,...... then after cutting the slot, file it out to fit the square of the carriage bolt,...... after doing that, it becomes a one handed operation(no wrench is needed).......the slot will prevent the carriage bolt from turning when you loosen the wing nut(no need to remove the w/nut, just loosen it),.......the bolt and wing nut will stay with the angle piece as you SLIDE it off of the battery tray,.......

problem solved, no more dropping the bolt and Don's mod is a great idea and easy to do,...............

Edited by fella10, 23 August 2014 - 06:51 PM.

• Retired in Reno likes this

#10 wilyoung

wilyoung
  • Casita Club Member
  • 121 posts
  • Local time: 06:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

The battery wiring that Casita uses is some of the stiffest stuff around and prone to cracking and splitting. I hated it. Also made taking the battery out a BIG PITA.

I recommend you order and install flexible battery wiring from www.LittleHouseCustoms.com/store. What a difference it makes!

Granted, it would help if the compartment door was bigger to allow better access.

Eileen

I went for the more expensive ANDERSON DISCONNECT FLEXI CABLE SET WITH TERMINAL BLOCK. Same flexible cable with a disconnect plug set in the middle. Just unplug the battery cable and slide the battery all the way out. No attached wires to worry about. If you want to set the battery on a bench/bucket/shelf to work on/test it while hot just reconnect the plug once it's out.

Also does the job of a battery disconnect switch without all the messy wiring and room a switch requires. Just unplug the battery and let it set there if you are not removing it.

Try it. You'll like it.

Wil and Joanna
2010 17' Casita SD "Wholaden"
2005 Chevy Trailblazer 4.2L 6 cyl

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery