#1 CasitaRick54

CasitaRick54
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 01:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:La Casita de La Playa

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

I searched the forum and got what appears to be references to wiring of some older model Casitas. I have a late 2013 (titled 2014) 17' SD.

What I am trying to do is install a single high mount stop/tail light in the space between the top of the spare and the window. I saw that others had installed similar lights but could not understand which wire(s) to tap with ScotchBlok connectors.

In the interest of clarity, I will describe what I found in excruciating detail. Please bear with me. I know how to do low voltage wiring, once I identify my power source(s) and ground.

I unscrewed the angled wood cover panel underneath the rear dining table and after clipping several nylon cable ties, was able to uncover what appears to be six 12 volt wires. One group of four consists of red, green, white, and yellow wires. This group was doubled over and appears to turn back toward the driver side bench seat.  A group of two low voltage wires, one green and one white, continue laterally and disappear under the passenger side bench seat.

There are also two yellow romex type 110 volt wires and a black corrugated wire loom cover which "might"  contain the specific wires I am looking for. And of course the red, white, and blue water lines from the pump/fresh water tank/water heater..

Please take a look at the attached picture and, if you can, identify which wire is which. I am not going to make any assumptions. You folks are the veterans-I am just a rookie. :wacko:

Attached Thumbnails

• wire two edit.jpg

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts
  • Local time: 11:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

My 2008 has the following color coding for the rear wire bundle under the slant board, which I had to decipher when I installed a 4-Pin flat connector to power the lights on my Stow-Away box. The trailer wire colors are the far left column. You will note, that the way the trailer is wired, there is no separate brake light wire which will mean your left or right directional will be active (depending on which one you hook up to) when signalling a turn, at least with my trailer's wiring configuration.

TRAILER---------------FUNCTION---------------------4-PIN CONNECTOR

WHITE-------------------GROUND-----------------------WHITE

GREEN------------TAIL/RUNNING/LIC.--------------BROWN

RED--------------LEFT TURN/BRAKE LT.----------YELLOW

BROWN--------RIGHT TURN/BRAKE LT.---------GREEN

Because trailer tail light systems combine the stop lamp and turn signals for each side onto a single circuit, you will need to use a vehicle-to-vehicle tail light converter, part # 118158 to split the brake light circuit back out.

The white wire on the input side of the tail light converter would ground to the trailer frame, the green input wire would tap into the right turn circuit on the trailer and the yellow input wire would tap into the left turn circuit. The output side of the tail light converter also has three wires. The yellow and green wires are not needed for this application, and could be cut short and should be capped off. The red wire would connect to your third stoplight, with the light also grounded to metal on the trailer frame.

Trailerbrakelightconverter.jpg

Edited by Euphoria, 18 April 2014 - 04:54 PM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#3 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 10:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

Ditto here on my 2006 LD

Charlie Y

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#4 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 161 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

I believe that for trailers with the round 7 flat pin connector:

Brown wire  = tail & clearance lights

Green wire   = Right Turn, Brake

Orange wire = Reverse light

Blue wire goes to trailer brakes.

Source is google and a diagram in a manual on another forum.

The thin white wire is probably ground.  The thin red wire may be orange??

Hope this doesn't confuse the issue more.

Neal

Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#5 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 10:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:00 AM

There are also several wiring diagrams in the A-Z Casita Owner's Guide.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#6 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

I believe that for trailers with the round 7 flat pin connector:

Brown wire  = tail & clearance lights

Green wire   = Right Turn, Brake

Orange wire = Reverse light

Blue wire goes to trailer brakes.

Source is google and a diagram in a manual on another forum.

The thin white wire is probably ground.  The thin red wire may be orange??

Hope this doesn't confuse the issue more.

Neal

Hi Neal,

Your wiring color code for the 7-pin connector is fine, but my "wire color pairings" list above is only for a standard 4-Pin connector, (which I put in for another purpose,) relative to the Casita's internal wiring. Neither of these plug connector color codes really has any affect or bearing on which wires to tie into into in the rear wire bundle along the back wall of the trailer, (which isn't dependent on either a 7 or 4 pin connector color code configuration.)

The bottom line is that if you go by either pin connector's standard color code, you'll be hooking up the wrong color wires for the various circuits. Just go by the wire color code inside the trailer, since this is where you'll be tying the converter and 3rd brake light into. This needn't be confusing and don't worry about the wire colors for the various pin connectors out there, just stick with what's in the Casita's rear wire bundle color code as mentioned in my post above, and iterated again below.

TRAILER---------------FUNCTION

WHITE-------------------GROUND

GREEN------------TAIL/RUNNING/LICENSE

RED--------------LEFT TURN/BRAKE LT.

BROWN--------RIGHT TURN/BRAKE LT.

Greg

Edited by Euphoria, 19 April 2014 - 06:37 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#7 CasitaRick54

CasitaRick54
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:La Casita de La Playa

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

I keep hearing brown, but one of the four wires shown looks very yellow to me....  I guess I will pull a tail light assembly out and see what colors are coming in, and if needed, tap it there.

#8 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Sometimes what they call brown appears as a sickly brownish-yellow color. More than likely it is the wire in question. If you have one of those pointed awl-type 12vdc testers, you can stick it through the insulation and hook the other lead to a good ground. Then turn on the RT Turn blinker. If it pulses, you found it.

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#9 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,470 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

In answer to your original question, my guess would be:

Casita Rick54jpg.jpg This is the standard trailer tail light wiring

With a pin and a multimeter (or even a spare 12V bulb) you could determine which wire does what.

#10 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Harold,

Sorry, but I must disagree with your post, because while what you say is true for the multi-pin connector you plug into when you hook up your trailer, it does not reflect the wire color code INSIDE the Casita which does not follow standard color code norms. If you hook things up according to what you said above (post #9) it will be mis-wired.

CASITA TRAILER (INTERNAL) WIRING---------------FUNCTION

WHITE---------------------------------------------------------------GROUND

GREEN--------------------------------------------------------------TAIL/RUNNING/LICENSE

RED-------------------------------------------------------------------LEFT TURN/BRAKE LT.

BROWN-(sometimes brownish/yellowish)--------------RIGHT TURN/BRAKE LT.

Greg

Edited by Euphoria, 19 April 2014 - 08:40 AM.

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#11 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 140 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

Sorry, ancient thread, but I need help.  I have a customer who's tail lights are un-seeable due to carrying an E-bike with cover on a hitch rack.  They put stop/brake/turn lights in the rear window inside, which are great.  However, to wire them, they run a 4 pin harness all the way through the camper, out the door and to the tow vehicle.  I want to give them a 4 pin pigtail from the harness under the dinette that they can plug into when towing.  Do I still need the converter box?  Or will both red lamps light up for brakes if I wire according the above diagram?

I think I'll be fine.  The description of the converter box is for cars with amber turn signals.  I'm dealing with just 2 red lamps that go bright and dim.

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamper.com

#12 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:54 AM

It really doesn't matter whether you "hard-wire" it to a light mounted outside, or just install a 4-Pin flat connector on the inside. You are still going to tie it into the existing wiring bundle running to the trailer's tail lights for either installation. (Which is what I did to install both a 4-Pin flat to plug the lights in on my Stow-Away box, and another set of wires that come out inside the upper rear overhead cabinet in the back of the trailer, to hook up my "third brake light" mounted on the outside over the rear window.

If there is a converter box installed, (and my truck has one that I put in,) then it would most probably be under your tow vehicle before the 7-Pin Bargman plug on your rear bumper, and not in the trailer itself. So, to answer your question, if your trailer lights work properly when you plug it into the tow vehicle now, then no, you won't need to install a converter box in the trailer. Just wire up your plug to your existing light circuits and you'll be set.

Attached Thumbnails

• Vacation2018 013 (Medium).JPG

Edited by Euphoria, 14 February 2019 - 07:02 AM.

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#13 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 140 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

I got it figured out today.  The 4 wire bundle under the kick panel had yellow and not brown so only 3 wires needed are there (2011 model).  So the right turn/stop didn't work.  I pulled the tail light and it was definitely brown.  I had to crawl under an un-foldable 8" thick memory foam mattress with a headlamp on and dig into the water tank area and there was just enough room to get a posi-tap on the brown wire.  All is well now.  

I still wonder how casita ran that brown wire to the back corner.  There's no brown turn light wire in the kitchen cabinets.  Maybe it's running under carpet?

Edited by Zimm, 14 February 2019 - 04:13 PM.

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamper.com