15 replies to this topic

#1 Nico

Nico
  • Casita Club Member
  • 53 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty deluxe 17 ft

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

We tested the Casita on a cold night (low 40's) and noticed of course that the standard blinds did nothing for insulation. We are considering using cellular shades that have the insulating material instead of curtains. It is going to cost $600 but we like comfort. Has anyone used them? Feedback?
Nico
Towing 2013 Liberty Deluxe 17 ft with 2005 Ford F150

#2 pseabolt

pseabolt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,724 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 PM
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking, Boating, Amateur Radio, Computers

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Just an opinion but I don't think Cellular shades will make a noticeable difference keeping cold out. I think most of the heat lose or cold replacing heat is by convection and conduction. Unless the shades are bonded to the windows or window frames, the cold air will continue to come in and role down to the floor. The main purpose of the factory shades is keeping sunlight our for cooling.
  • SKYTALKER likes this
Pete & Dee
N4KHQ & N4KHO
2004 Casita SD 17'
Home Page
Posted Image

#3 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

A lot of us have purchased a roll of Reflectix at Home Depot or Lowes, cut it to fit the windows and put it in there (between window and shade) when it is very cold or very hot. It does seem to help some. I'll leave it in the windows when on the road in hot weather to keep some of the heat out of the trailer, too. I also cut a piece that I leave full time in the large overhead cabinet at the rear of the trailer. It is up next to the carpeting and does help keep some of the heat out of that area. I tend to store small electronics up there and they do not need to be cooked as I drive down the road, or frozen on a cold night. It definitely helps.

Edited by borderbrae, 24 November 2013 - 09:11 AM.

• ArizonaEileen and SKYTALKER like this
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#4 Nico

Nico
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

Yes, I will also have reflectix but the cellular shades have to be an improvement on the standard blinds for insulation no?
Nico

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,379 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

Googled and found this link with the results of research on thermal values of cellular shades. I only read 1 paragraph but the site has lots of info. One good thing they found was that side seals increased the R-values by 2X. On the minus side the R-values decreased as the temperatures went down.

There are mods on Casita Club that will offer other solutions. Also a mod to stablize the blinds that creates side seals. Check out Us burros side guides which could prevent cold air leaks from the side of cellular shades; then if you added some insulating material top and bottom, they would be sealed pretty well.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 24 November 2013 - 02:36 PM.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

Well, I have the mini blinds which I like very much and have them fixed so they don't move and they hug the wall at the bottom. I also have curtains that I can snug up pretty close to the wall, too, at the bottom. There is some gap at the sides at times, I do admit, since I didn't cut & sew the curtains with a lot of surplus fabric on the sides. I've never camped where it mattered that much to me.
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#7 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 01:14 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

Why not try getting a roll of bubble wrap (the transparent type used for packing) that you attach in contact w/ the windows so cold air cannot convect between the wrap and the glass.

You will still have 90% light transmittal and you can retain the regular blinds, while tripling the "R" value of the uninsulated glass.

And the cost is negligible compared to other materials, so it costs very little to try it.

#8 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 761 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Discover America, get off the Interstate.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

I made some window covers from 2 layers of the small bubble wrap, duct taped on the sides. I made them a little larger than the windows and use straight pins to hold them to the carpet. Works pretty well, not to expensive and lets the light in. We have been out when the temps were in the low teens. I want to make some that look better, until then, they will do.

Ted

Ted & Cindy 04 17ft FD (Dragon Egg)
2011 Red Mercedes Sprinter 2500 (Dimpled Dragon)
IMG_2969.jpg

#9 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

We tested the Casita on a cold night (low 40's) and noticed of course that the standard blinds did nothing for insulation. We are considering using cellular shades that have the insulating material instead of curtains. It is going to cost $600 but we like comfort. Has anyone used them? Feedback?

I was in Colorado when it got down to 0.

I'd suggest an electric blanket, ceramic heater, floor insulation under your rug and insulation for the fantastic fan in really cold areas.

Search under my name for cold weather or reflectix.

I've used a automobile sunshade in the large dinette window - similar to reflectix - so I can easily take it off.

Edited by Dex, 24 November 2013 - 08:31 PM.

2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#10 MarkyV

MarkyV
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 FD/17'
  • Interests:Traveling, camping, ham radio, music.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

We have cellular shades on our windows in our home and they do make a difference. They trap the air in the cells and insulate the windows. I believe that the reflectix or bubble wrap would work about the same. If you do decide to get them try Lowes. We got ours for about $79 each and they custom cut them. Be sure to tell them what you want them for because they cut them a half inch shorter from the measurements you give them so they will fit in a house window.

#11 Nico

Nico
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the replies, we will be checking Lowes for cellular shades!
Nico

#12 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 01:14 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:02 AM

Most houses now have double, or even triple pane (or Low E) glass, so don't expect cellular shades to work nearly as well with Casita's single pane windows as they do in a home.

The shades will still insulate, but air flow connecting behind them and in contact w/ the cold glass will largely defeat the effect in comparison.

Adding insulation to the glass and preventing free air flow between the insulation and the glass in the coach is the trick. If you can get the cellular shades to prevent the cold air next to the glass from mixing w/ the coach interior air, you will have something effective.

Edited by Bobinyelm, 25 November 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#13 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

Most houses now have double, or even triple pane (or Low E) glass, so don't expect cellular shades to work nearly as well with Casita's single pane windows as they do in a home.

The shades will still insulate, but air flow connecting behind them and in contact w/ the cold glass will largely defeat the effect in comparison.

Adding insulation to the glass and preventing free air flow between the insulation and the glass in the coach is the trick. If you can get the cellular shades to prevent the cold air next to the glass from mixing w/ the coach interior air, you will have something effective.

Yes, that is the point of the reflectix.

I've experienced the cold air coming off the windows - it is like a waterfall of cold air coming off the window.

see more here
http://www.casitaclu...__hl__reflectix

Edited by Dex, 25 November 2013 - 07:18 AM.

2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#14 lkg907

lkg907
  • Casita Club Member
  • 262 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

Floor insulation??? Now there's a thought. Maybe 1" of that hard blue foam. One 4X8 sheet should be enough to do the job. Slice it in to manageable pieces so it could just be put together like a puzzle. You could n make it interlocking so it would act lie one piece. Put the throw rug on top.

#15 The Cozy Egg

The Cozy Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Play chess, relax fishing, kayaking.
  • Trailer Name:Cozy Pawn

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

At the gym we go to has this soft rubber interlocking flooring that is about 1" thick. Looks good and can be easy remove and cleaned. Maybe a possibility?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows, insulation, curtains, shades