• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom VZ

Tom VZ
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 06:12 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

We recently noticed that the table fittings in the floor of our ’97 Casita are badly corroded—actually all the way through in places—and the adjacent floor areas are spongey. I’m wondering—
--What are these things made of, that they corroded so badly?
--Should I get replacements from Casita, or is there something better?
--Would it be feasible to cut out the bad parts of the floor, and replace them? (I don’t know anything about the construction of that floor.)
THANKS in advance!
-TVZ

#2 DanO

DanO
  • Casita Club Member
  • 95 posts
  • Local time: 07:12 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Liberty Deluxe - 17'

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

I believe the fittings are made of plain old pot metal or, if lucky, aluminum. Either way, if they are corroded, there may be a bigger problem than the fittings. As for the spongy flooring, it sounds as if there may be water/liquid getting to the floor somehow. If you have carpet on the floor, it may be easy to get a peek underneath. If you have linoleum or laminate flooring, you may want to seek out the advice of someone other than I. Check inside the storage areas under the seats, especially in the area of the water pump, water heater and water tank to see if you can see any obvious signs of leakage. Keep your fingers crossed!
DanO

#3 Tom VZ

Tom VZ
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

The spongy floor seems to be centered around the two rear table fittings, which are corroded all the way through, which would allow moisture to come in. I think if I replace the fittings, then if I can somehow cut out the bad section of the floor and replace it, I might be ok. I think I could cut as far as the support beams underneath, so the new piece will be well-supported. Has anyone ever cut out a section of the floor and replaced it? I imagine it's a piece of plywood, setting on the fiberglass shell--so I need to cut through the plywood while leaving the fiberglass intact; then hopefully the piece of plywood will lift out so I can put down a new one...

#4 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,378 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

This link Floor Replacement is to a thread that should help. It covers how the floor is constructed, soft spots, replacement materials, and even table leg bases. The wood in the flooring is only about 1/2" thick and lays on top of about 1/4" of fiberglass, which is the bottom of the fiberglass shell. The interior floor wood is covered in some kind of resin.

Good luck.
  • Tom VZ likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#5 Tom VZ

Tom VZ
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:36 AM

Thanks Carol. That helps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: table, floor