• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Art & Carol

Art & Carol
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 06:07 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

We have a 2006 Casita Spirit Delux that is receiving 12v charge from our TV, but the charge is not getting to the battery. The Casita Owners Manuel shows a fuse near the battery but I can't find it. Any ideas?

Art & Carol
Art & Carol
2005 17 SD
Colorado Springs

#2 lkg907

lkg907
  • Casita Club Member
  • 262 posts
  • Local time: 05:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, I found that one when I was installing a new converter. But I thought it was between the batteries and the converter. Not between the TV & the batteries.. Anyway It was external to the battery box mounted on the outside of the box. I don't remember if I had to remove the seat to access it or not.

#3 EdKH

EdKH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

What size of wire on your tow vehicle? It must be at least 10 gage, 8 gage is the best. If it is 14 gage, the wire is too small for the current to flow.

#4 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 161 posts
  • Local time: 06:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Art
Remove the cushions, or prop up the bed, over the bench on the street side, Lift the top cover to expose the battery box. On the side of the battery box with black wires attached is a 20 amp fuse module. My understanding was that this is a re-settable fuse, which is sorta like a self resetting circuit breaker. If it has failed in the open mode your battery will not charge from the tow or from the converter.

If your battery charges when connected to line voltage then this is NOT your problem, but don't be fooled by lights and fans working while connected to line voltage, they are powered from the converter.
You should also check battery terminals for corrosion.
Hope this helps.
Neal
Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#5 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 333 posts
  • Local time: 04:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD
  • Interests:Hobbies are machining, doing "mods" to my Casita, camping and keeping busy.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

On our 1999 17' SD it's necessary to remove the street side bench because the self resetting circuit But fbreaker is mounted to the rear side of the battery box. Not where the battery is but inside under the bench.
First I would make sure the battery is properly connected BLACK TO PLUS, and is good. If it's the original to your 06 consider it bad.

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
2017 GMC Seirra

#6 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

If you know how to use a Voltmeter,Do a voltage test at the casita battery when hooked to the tow vehicle and running.... It should jump up to about 13.5 +/-Volts vs. unhooked with about 12.6 +/-. If your not good with voltmeters go into wal mart next to the car batteries and they have inexpensive voltmeter that plugs into the accessory plug in your casita. after that test do another with it plugged into shore power to see if the converter is charging properly.

Edited by Joe Z, 23 October 2013 - 11:46 PM.

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#7 wmgeorge

wmgeorge
  • Casita Club Member
  • 431 posts
  • Local time: 07:07 AM
  • Interests:Rifle / Handgun shooting. Ham Radio WB0UPD, Home machine/ fabrication shop, Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC. VW New Beetle TDI 1.9 Diesel hobby car... and more.
  • Casita Club Directory #:3855

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

Simple test. Turn your inside lights on when plugged into shore power, are they nice and bright? Now un-plug your shore power plug, do the lights get dimmer.? Proves, your convertor / charger is working and your battery may need replacement if the lights get really dim. It also proves the circuit breaker is not open. The circuit breaker talked about is a self resetting automatic circuit breaker in series with the battery positive or in this case Black wire. I've been working in the electrical related trades since 1962, never seen yet a resettable fuse. A #12 or even #14 wire coming from your truck assuming its been working before and does not have connection issues is enough to charge your battery. Not enough to charge your battery and carry a large load as running your refrigerator on 12 volts however.

Edited by wmgeorge, 24 October 2013 - 06:11 AM.

Retired in Iowa and too many Hobbies

#8 NY Frank

NY Frank
  • Casita Club Member
  • 268 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Retired NYPD, Retired US Army
    Love to camp, hunt and fish, not just in NY but everywhere.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1753

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:44 AM

On my recent trip in September I found that my battery as not charging also , same year and model Casita as yours, and it had me concerned. I found that when my battery was inserted, that the contacts were not tightened enough. This caused them to be on and off while traveling causing the battery to not charge properly. After checking everything I discovered this mistake and tightened them properly. After that I never had a problem. This is just one thought that may cause your problem.
NY Frank
2006 Spirit Deluxe
Hatched 15 May 06
TV 2007 Toyota Tundra
Prodigy Brake Control

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battery