levelng the trailer

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 PM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

vermilye:
Here is a cheaper price from Amazon. I just received mine yesterday. I thought it was so cheap I would go ahead and try it.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its $10.23 and free shipping with Prime. I hope it works out. Thanks

I have been pondering the pros ofjthat device. There is a lot to be said for having the automatic ability to tell when one is at level. When you are either backing up or pulling through your new campsite, when you are jockeying to get into "your position", if that light pops on you just stop...you are level...no further adjustment side adjustment required. Without it you would never know it when you pulled the casita over a level spot. Its a potential time saver. Now to level the trailer and stick it on.
  • SKYTALKER likes this
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#32 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

... I haven't received it yet, but purchased this lighted level, hoping I will be able to see it when backing. They had a price change since I ordered it - I paid $3.70.

I mounted the level in the attached link on the front of the trailer, and am impressed. Tried it first in my driveway & I could easily see it in the tow vehicle rear view mirror at dusk. I got to try it for real this afternoon setting up at the Niagara Wine Escape rally in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Again, it worked perfectly combined with the Anderson Leveler. Place the Anderson Leveler under the low wheel, and looking in the rear view mirror start backing. The level looks blank until the trailer is level, then the bubble lights up bright enough to see in daylight. Attached are photos with the light off & on:

Just thought I'd add an update on the "Lighted Level" after using it for a couple of weeks. It works great, and even in bright sun I can see the bubble light up when level. On the down side, it is easy to forget to turn it off, and when the batteries die (it actually takes leaving it on for a couple of days) replacing them isn't much fun. They come out through the top, and since the level is glued to the trailer, it ain't easy! I finally got the old ones out with a pair of tweezers. Other than that, it has been a great addition.

#33 funstuff

funstuff
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16 or 17
  • Interests:Nature, outdoors, little adventure, photography

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

How do you spread the Bal leveler for 15" tires?

#34 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

How do you spread the Bal leveler for 15" tires?

I used chain and a come-along between two trees, but most posts mention doing it with a scissor jack,... one thing to remember is to measure BEFORE you start forcing the bars apart,....that way you will know how much you are opening the BAL frame,....it doesn't take much,.......and I don't know how much I spread mine because I didn't measure BEFORE I started

some folks don't spread their BAL, whenever they have a tight fit they just role up on a small block and then the Leveler will slide into place without any problem

Edited by fella10, 21 November 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#35 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 07:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

I bought the lighted level, stuck it on via the adhesive back, and find that it's movable and therefore doesn't stay 'true.' It obviously needs to be permanently mounted.

But the real downer is that I'm not able to see the light in my rear view mirror.

I'll be interested to read about anyone else's experience with it.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#36 SeeStars

SeeStars
  • Casita Club Member
  • 50 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' FD

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

I bought the lighted level, stuck it on via the adhesive back, and find that it's movable and therefore doesn't stay 'true.' It obviously needs to be permanently mounted.

But the real downer is that I'm not able to see the light in my rear view mirror.

I'll be interested to read about anyone else's experience with it.

Eileen

... I haven't received it yet, but purchased this lighted level, hoping I will be able to see it when backing. They had a price change since I ordered it - I paid $3.70.

I mounted the level in the attached link on the front of the trailer, and am impressed. Tried it first in my driveway & I could easily see it in the tow vehicle rear view mirror at dusk. I got to try it for real this afternoon setting up at the Niagara Wine Escape rally in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Again, it worked perfectly combined with the Anderson Leveler. Place the Anderson Leveler under the low wheel, and looking in the rear view mirror start backing. The level looks blank until the trailer is level, then the bubble lights up bright enough to see in daylight. Attached are photos with the light off & on:

Just thought I'd add an update on the "Lighted Level" after using it for a couple of weeks. It works great, and even in bright sun I can see the bubble light up when level. On the down side, it is easy to forget to turn it off, and when the batteries die (it actually takes leaving it on for a couple of days) replacing them isn't much fun. They come out through the top, and since the level is glued to the trailer, it ain't easy! I finally got the old ones out with a pair of tweezers. Other than that, it has been a great addition.

Hi Eileen, as you can see, Vermilye wrote that he has had good luck with his and can see the LED from his driver's seat during the daytime. It would be great if you and Jon could reconcile your different experiences. Do you think that your level is defective or that the LED is not as bright as it should be?

Anyone else out there who can report on their experience with the LED level?

Charlie

Edited by SeeStars, 22 November 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#37 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

The condition of the batteries makes a big difference in visibility. I have a bad habit of turning it on and forgetting to shut it off - been through 3 sets so far and they are a pain to change. The batteries will last close to 24 hours with the light on, but they get dim fast. With fresh batteries I've been able to see it even in direct sunlight.

I agree with Eileen that the mount would work better with screws, but I'm not going there. Since I already have built in levels, I have gotten in the habit of checking both before leaving a site & "adjusting" the lighted level to match. It holds the adjustment until I knock it. I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to make sure it is in the right position, and make a light laundry marker line on the trailer along one of the vertical sides of the level. That way it should be easy to readjust.

I sent an email to Hopkins with a bunch of suggestions for improvement - I'll let you know if they reply...

#38 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 08:46 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

Works good for me and the adhesive will get a little more stout after a few days of setting. Before i placed the lighted leveler on the trailer i took a piece of masking tape and set it on different spots higher and lower on the centerline of the front of the trailer then went inside and looked thru the rear view mirror on the windshield til it was in a comfortable spot to see. I agree with eileen it does move around at first so all i did was get it level and then put a tiny pencil mark on the lower left corner so i know my gauge is where it is supposed to be.Works for me :)
I actually use the pencil mark dot on all the pictures in the house so if someone bumps into it i know exactly where it goes back.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#39 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

This doesn't have anything to do with that lighted level, but I thought I'd share this. We checked the bubble levels on our trailer that were put there by Casita by using a regular level in two directions on the belly band and then by putting the level on the trailer floor in front of the fridge. Perfect agreement.

#40 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:53 AM

Works good for me and the adhesive will get a little more stout after a few days of setting.

Not true in my case. I put it on over a month ago and it isn't "more stout."

I'm planning to take out my Casita over Thanksgiving, so I'll give it another go and report back, though I'm not optimistic.

Eileen

#41 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:18 AM

Eileen, you can get an "outdoor" double sided tape, by 3M, I think, at Walmart, hardware stores, etc., and use that instead. Use it and once stuck, it stays stuck!
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#42 SeeStars

SeeStars
  • Casita Club Member
  • 50 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' FD

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

I think that Duck brand is even better than the 3M tape that I have tried. I use a lot of Duck 2x foam tape and it works very well. OTOH, the leveler has two screw holes for screw mounting. People have written that they don't want to use screws. There are holes all over the Casita. Using two small #4 stainless steel sheet metal screws seems innocuous enough. Still, one also could use a dab of silicone sealant, or some 3M VHB tape. How about some industrial strength Velcro? There are many ways to get around the use of the supplied 2x foam pad. BTW, regardless of which adhesive method is used, it is imperative to clean thoroughly the intended spot on the Casita. A really flat spot is important, too. A flat surface will not adhere well to a curved surface, and will allow rotational movement.

Edited by SeeStars, 23 November 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#43 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 08:46 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

That tiny little dot on the level and another little dot lined up on the trailer in an inconspicuous spot will give you confidence it is level at all times and/or a tiny dot of silicone will keep it from twisting

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#44 captfrank

captfrank
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 09:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

As you can see on my rig I have trailer tounge jacks on each side of the back bumper. These work fine with a level indicator above the spare tire. Only thing is if the trailer is too off level you hav1st tamdem pull2.jpg e to block up the tires or the whole trailer flexes and the door does not open and close properly

#45 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

Eileen, you can get an "outdoor" double sided tape, by 3M, I think, at Walmart, hardware stores, etc., and use that instead. Use it and once stuck, it stays stuck!

John, thanks for the tip, but I really don't want the level to 'stay stuck.' If it doesn't end up working out for me, I don't want to have to use a hammer and chisel (kidding, of course) or harsh chemicals to remove it.

Eileen