• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Dan S21

Dan S21
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 16'
  • Interests:Classical & other music, reading, bicycling, hiking.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

How do you get the side to side leveling accomplished? The built in stabilizer jacks are not intended to lift the lower side. I bought screw type aluminum jack stands, but I don't think they are strong enough to lift the trailer, vs. hold it in place once it is level.

I was thinking of getting a scissors jack, then once the correct height is reached, put the stabilizer jack into place, and lower the scissors jack.

Your solutions?

Dan

#2 Ken C

Ken C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 455 posts
  • Local time: 12:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD
  • Interests:Kayaking, canoeing
  • Casita Club Directory #:1749

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

Various sized blocks of wood or the plastic blocks that snap together to make up the right height are the cheapest. Then you can go into the mechanical ones like scissor jacks and the Bal levelers. Ken C

2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed, 2005 Casita 17' "Spirit Deluxe"

#3 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

Ken is right on the money..... this link below is just one of many ways to do it.
Joe
http://www.amazon.co...rds=lynx blocks

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#4 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

Dan S21,

Ken has already mentioned the Bal Leveler, IMO, it is the best solution to leveling your trailer side to side. There are youtube videos showing how it works. You can get the level perfect the first time, you don;t have to settle for " that's good enough", like you might have to do with the blocks. It is intended strictly for the small trailer world, but I've read a review where a person bought two and used them on a dual axle trailer and they worked fine. (check it out, link below and search youtube))

http://www.amazon.co...rds=bal leveler

Edited by fella10, 04 September 2013 - 07:19 AM.

• cmac likes this

#5 leb

leb
  • Casita Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • Local time: 10:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:FD/17

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

I love my Bal Leveler. Quick, slick and easy!

leb
  • cmac likes this

#6 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

Lots of solutions for most of the leveling problems--extremes require more extreme measures like actual jacks, which you can have welded onto your frame. We tried this contraption for the first time this weekend (only good for a 4 inch rise) and it worked great, and we leveled quickly with no cross words!!! http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_sbs_auto_3 For a single person, I think the BAL is the best idea because it can be raised after you park. Some have reported that the 15 inch tires are a snug fit and have adaped it by prying it open a little more. It is heavy and takes up some room, but takes the guess work out of it.

Edited by Babs&Chris, 04 September 2013 - 07:20 AM.

• cmac and funstuff like this

#7 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

I had to go with the Andersen Levelers:
http://www.andersenh...er-leveler.aspx
Great UTube of it in action!
  • ArizonaEileen and latte like this
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#8 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

I keep trying to find something wrong with it, but I Can't
  • latte and flowerpot like this

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#9 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 08:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:07 AM

How do you get the side to side leveling accomplished? The built in stabilizer jacks are not intended to lift the lower side. I bought screw type aluminum jack stands, but I don't think they are strong enough to lift the trailer, vs. hold it in place once it is level.

I was thinking of getting a scissors jack, then once the correct height is reached, put the stabilizer jack into place, and lower the scissors jack.

Your solutions?

Dan

Dan --

Your stabilizers are not intended for leveling the trailer; they are only meant to stabilize. Ditto with any front stabilizers you may install.

Side-to-side leveling is accomplished before you unhitch, either by using legos or blocks or a Bal Leveler under the low side tire.

Eileen
  • cmac likes this

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#10 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

Me either. Plus they are "Made in USA" whereas others likely not! Well, I also like "Made in Canada", too. Even if I pay more I have been making a diligent effort to purchase products with either stamped upon them.
  • latte likes this

#11 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

Joe Z,.... just keep looking you WILL find a flaw somewhere,........each method or gadget has a shortcoming somewhere, none are perfect,.......the blocks are back and forth, trial and error(height limited only by the number of blocks you have),.......the BAL Leveler is iffy on some of the larger 15" wheels in soft grass, but that can be and on mine was, corrected by the "spread it open a little" mod(height: 5" plus) ...... IMO, the shortcoming on the Anderson is that it does require a two person team with good communication and quick response, a split second late on the stop, you roll off the end and it is "oops, too far, let's do it again"(height: 4"),......Babs&Chris(post #6 above) says theirs worked good and they are probably a team that works good together,......anyway, just wanted to point out that all will work, but none are perfect, I've already cast my vote in post #4 above,........happy trails

ps: just one more thought, levels can change during your stay, especially if you are not parked on a paved or very firm hard surface,........ when you see that has happened,......with the BAL you can tweak it, with any of the others(because you are probably unhooked) all you can do is "oh well" and walk away

Edited by fella10, 05 September 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#12 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Joe Z,.... just keep looking you WILL find a flaw somewhere,........each method or gadget has a shortcoming somewhere, none are perfect,.......the blocks are back and forth, trial and error(height limited only by the number of blocks you have),.......the BAL Leveler is iffy on some of the larger 15" wheels in soft grass, but that can be and on mine was, corrected by the "spread it open a little" mod(height: 5" plus) ...... IMO, the shortcoming on the Anderson is that it does require a two person team with good communication and quick response, a split second late on the stop, you roll off the end and it is "oops, too far, let's do it again"(height: 4"),......Babs&Chris(post #6 above) says theirs worked good and they are probably a team that works good together,......anyway, just wanted to point out that all will work, but none are perfect, I've already cast my vote in post #4 above,........happy trails

ps: just one more thought, levels can change during your stay, especially if you are not on a paved or very firm hard surface,........ when you see that has happened,......with the BAL you can tweak it, with any of the others(because you are probably unhooked) all you can do is "oh well" and walk away

Thanks..... I actually have a bal leveler that i used on my last casita with 14" tires. my new casita has 15" tires and will probably have to spread it some to fit..... right now it's in my garage and it's so tight in there i can't try a good fit yet.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#13 leb

leb
  • Casita Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • Local time: 10:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:FD/17

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

I have the 15" factory tires and have not had a problem with the Bal without any modification. I did have to dig to the bottom of the snow at one spot in Oregon last April, but that wasn't a big deal.

leb

#14 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

ps: just one more thought, levels can change during your stay, especially if you are not on a paved or very firm hard surface,........ when you see that has happened,......with the BAL you can tweak it, with any of the others(because you are probably unhooked) all you can do is "oh well" and walk away

You are right.None are perfect. But in my case there has never been two persons leveling my Casita. It's just me alone.

I started leveling it with two pieces of cedar screwed together I used as step-up blocks. Then went to the yellow plastic three step leveler. I always have trouble while moving up on the leveler trying to determine where I am on it and are forced to get out a time or two to see, then "tweak" it with a slight movement one way or another till level. The curved Andersen hopefully will give me a better shot at it. Now I am looking for a larger "bubble", one large enouggh to see in my rear view mirror and if I find one, hopefully I want have to exit the tow vehicle to see where I am on it. But as far as always requiring two persons to level with it, for some of us going alone that is an impossibility. We adapt, improvise, overcome!
  • MMoe and SKYTALKER like this

#15 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

highwayfl,........sounds like you have been/are now playing around with everything except the best method for a single traveler,....GET THE BAL LEVELER,....... also, my ps in post #11 above is very true,....... the weight of the trailer can cause settling and change the level position if you are parked on soft footing,....... when that happens, being able to correct it easily with the BAL, IMO is reason enough to rate the BAL Leveler above the other leveling methods(you CAN NOT re-adjust your side-to-side level any amount when using the blocks or the Anderson unless you're hooked-up to the TV ),........but, there's also the other features like one person leveling and the fact that you can get absolute perfect level and don't have to settle for "that's good enough", .......these are my reasons for using it, but I know there a many, many folks who don't consider these reasons to be important enough to use the BAL,......we've all got different likes and I like my BAL,.......................happy trails
  • Eileen and Babs&Chris like this