25 replies to this topic

#1 EPFrisco

EPFrisco
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 17ft. Spirit Deluxe

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

Has anyone replaced the carpeting with vinyl flooring. Just wondering how hard it is to do. Thanks for your input.
2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab V8 4x4 w/tonneau cover
2013 17' SD w/HLA

#2 DanO

DanO
  • Casita Club Member
  • 95 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Liberty Deluxe - 17'

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

PERGO! Had Larry at Little House do the install. It's one of his regular mods. Great stuff.
DanO

#3 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 08:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

I haven't, but will tell you what our salesman said,....when I asked why the extra(and why so much extra) cost for vinyl instead of carpet( to me it seemed like the choice would be either one or the other, actually thought you might have to pay more for carpet), his answer was "labor time",....... said: to prepare the surface for vinyl it requires quite a bit more time to finish it sufficiently to be smooth enough to cover with the vinyl vs. to cover it with carpet,......so, you might find a surface that does require some prep work before you would want to lay the vinyl over it,......that being said, I am sure there are folks here who have done just what you are asking about and they can give first hand knowledge of their experience ........ happy trailering .....

#4 DesertRat

DesertRat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 344 posts
  • Local time: 06:22 AM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

I replaced my carpet with laminate flooring that was being discontinued. I just put it on over the carpet. I think it looks great and much easier than taking up the carpet and preparing the surface for vinyl.
Jerry & Seiko
2002 16' Spirit
2002 White Ranger

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,378 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Here are two threads about replacing or covering the carpet. One removed the carpet and installed cork, the other covered the carpet with vinyl.
  • Hal and Cyndra likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 kolleel

kolleel
  • Casita Club Member
  • 80 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Camping, computers, and music.
    Also, Photography and Vintage TV & Film.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Any Pergo pics, DanO?

V & C
Chuck & Vicki Johnston
Pleasant Garden, NC
Retired Army/Former Dance Teacher

#7 iwalk

iwalk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 43 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17 foot
  • Interests:Camping all through the U.S.A. Hiking Biking Kayaking. Retired and loving it.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

I also went right over the carpet with laminate. I took the base off and put back on after the floor was down..I thought it turned out very nice.... Vern

Edited by iwalk, 19 June 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#8 DanO

DanO
  • Casita Club Member
  • 95 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Liberty Deluxe - 17'

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

Sorry they're sideways....Pergo Yorkshire Oak - 2 boxes required. Laid down over carpet. Color difference is due to lighting....

door.JPG

center.JPG
DanO

#9 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,617 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

I helped cover the carpeting with vinyl "planking". It is flexible and thinner like vinyl but lays down like some of the faux wood. It would interlock and had an adhesive the connected the "planks" it was very easy to handle and cut. It is by Armstrong and called vinyl plank flooring. I purchased it from a large custom flooring company of all places in little tiny Glen Rose. They work on mostly very expensive homes. This was left over from a big install so I got a good price on the flooring. It was easy to cut with a box knife, we used a heat gun to warm up the vinyl to make small custom cuts on "corners" (if there is such a thing in Casitas) and for the table cups.

I specifically asked them about using vinyl as in a big piece similar to what Casita does. Two of the guys at the flooring place felt given the confined space it might be tough to get it cut just right and then to get it inside to lay it down.

I am about to do this in another Casita with the same flooring, solo this time. The first time it took about 1.5-2 hours. I removed the factory installed vinyl border (molding) then replaced it after the flooring was layed down. It was a tight fit getting back into the original screw holes but it worked out well.

I have read on the forums more than once that pulling up the carpeting is not a good direction to go, just put the new flooring on top of the old carpet.

Clover

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1354 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_1356 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_1357 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_1363 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_1366 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_1369 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_1388 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_1368 (Small).JPG

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#10 EPFrisco

EPFrisco
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 17ft. Spirit Deluxe

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for all your input. By the way, where is Little House? We are in Colorado.
2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab V8 4x4 w/tonneau cover
2013 17' SD w/HLA

#11 kolleel

kolleel
  • Casita Club Member
  • 80 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Camping, computers, and music.
    Also, Photography and Vintage TV & Film.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

Gorgeous job on those floors, DanO and Clover! Thanks for posting! May give us something to shoot for once we accumulate some more money for mods.

V & C
Chuck & Vicki Johnston
Pleasant Garden, NC
Retired Army/Former Dance Teacher

#12 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

One of the Casitas we looked at before buying had a laminate floor installed right over the 8 year old carpet. They said it gave better insulation--not to mention being easier. It was beautiful, I can say that. We bought our Casita with vinyl, but if I was a handyperson, I think I would have gotten carpet and immediately covered it with laminate or vinyl plank because it really looks so nice.

#13 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,617 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

Thanks for all your input. By the way, where is Little House? We are in Colorado.

Larry & Debbie Gamble are in East Texashttp://littlehousecustoms.com. near Yantis, TX

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#14 pseabolt

pseabolt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,724 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking, Boating, Amateur Radio, Computers

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

I have six boxes 33.3 sq. ft per box of 5" wide, varying length up to 4' 3/8" engineered hickory wood flooring. If price is an indication, it is good stuff. It is tung and grooved but does not lock together. You are suppose to staple each piece to the floor and particle board is not an option, you must have plywood sub floors. Any suggestions on using the engineered flooring. I know I could buy something at home depot very cheep but I hate to see $600.00 of flooring got to waste. I like the ideal of putting it over the carpet if that works as well removing the carpet.

Thanks
Pete & Dee
N4KHQ & N4KHO
2004 Casita SD 17'
Home Page
Posted Image

#15 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 394 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

Pseabolt,
When we were looking at Lowe's for wood and/or engineered flooring for our home we were told we would have to glue the edges if we wanted the type that doses not lock together.
We were putting it over concrete. We still havn't decided on the flooring.
You may go talk to someone in the flooring dept. at Lowe's or some other place that sells that type of floor.
Goose's Egg, AKA The Bear Necessities
Pictures of: Casita, Quilt, Bear & Vacation Photos

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Replace, carpet, floor