Photo

Questions For Those In Colorado Springs Area?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 latte

latte
  • Casita Club Member
  • 115 posts
  • Local time: 09:24 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

My extended family is having a reunion in Colorado Springs the week of July 16th-two weeks away. We have plans for group tours to Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak, and other "tourist" areas. We are getting conflicting reports. Our hotel which is on the east side of CS says all is well. Over 50 people will be attending and none of us have any close "real people" contacts in the area. My question is would someone be brutally honest and say should we come are not? Are the conditions really good for a tourist visit? We are feeling for those that have lost so much and don't want to be in the way, (many of us have been through hurricanes, earthquakes, and tornadoes) but on the other hand we all were looking forward to the reunion(held every three years in different states) and visiting CS. Many are arriving in Denver and have several rent cars driving to CS and not familiar with roads/detours, while others are driving in from different states. We would appreciate all honest opinions. Thank you... Latte

#2 Don in Ut

Don in Ut
  • Rally Organizer
  • 659 posts
  • Local time: 07:24 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:'96 16' SD
  • Interests:Exploring the beautiful mountains and canyons of Utah and other western states. I also enjoy off roading - snowmobiling in winter.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1710

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

My extended family is having a reunion in Colorado Springs the week of July 16th-two weeks away. We have plans for group tours to Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak, and other "tourist" areas. We are getting conflicting reports. Our hotel which is on the east side of CS says all is well. Over 50 people will be attending and none of us have any close "real people" contacts in the area. My question is would someone be brutally honest and say should we come are not? Are the conditions really good for a tourist visit? We are feeling for those that have lost so much and don't want to be in the way, (many of us have been through hurricanes, earthquakes, and tornadoes) but on the other hand we all were looking forward to the reunion(held every three years in different states) and visiting CS. Many are arriving in Denver and have several rent cars driving to CS and not familiar with roads/detours, while others are driving in from different states. We would appreciate all honest opinions. Thank you... Latte

First off, I would discount any information your hotel gives you. Do you think they want to make 50 room cancellations - or even 25?

Watched the local news a couple of hours ago and about 3/4 of the newscast was about Utah's numerous fires and those in Colorado. The fire around Colorado Springs is probably the most serious. Either yesterday or day before I-25 (between Denver and Colorado Springs) was completely shut down. I assume it is open again now.

Monday morning call this number - this is the number of the Colorado Springs Tourist Bureau. They will give you straight information. I know from the TV news that many homes in the city have burned. We are planning on a road trip soon and, being retired military, we usually stay overnight our first night out on one of four military bases in the CS area. I am wondering about the wisdom of even doing that now. I plan to call one or two of the bases in the area before leaving.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but you DID ask. Of course, I haven't been there since the fire but this is the picture we're getting on the news.

Don in UT

Colorado Springs Tourist Information
515 South Cascade Avenue
Colorado Springs
(719) 685-7623

Edited by Don in Ut, 30 June 2012 - 06:03 PM.

'96 SD 16' HLA 20 degree down start
'98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 extended cab

#3 Colorado Kathi

Colorado Kathi
  • Casita Club Member
  • 190 posts
  • Local time: 07:24 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Mayor and governor were on TV yesterday saying Colorado Springs is open for business and they hope people come and enjoy the other things in the area. I think they are afraid the fire will hurt the economy even more if people stay away. They pointed out the fire is in the NW section of the city, but the rest is not on fire. From what I see, being smoky changes depending on the wind. I would guess in two weeks that things will be much better.
Colorado Kathi
2003 17' SD
1996 Chevy Silverado

#4 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 08:24 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Latte, I hope you guys didn't cancel your plans to see Colorado Springs Area. We were there July 12 to 16 (left on 16th), almost everything was up & running it seemed. Only tourist attraction, I know about, which was destroyed by the wildfire was the Flying W Ranch.

We had a great time: http://www.casitaclu...o-springs-back/

I believe your hotel was telling you the truth about the East side of the Springs. However, most of the attractions are more on the West side. But in late June, it still had time for the fires to be gotten under control.

We'd keep our eyes on the news reports to see if our plans would have to be changed. Once the rains started in the area, we felt it might work out for us & it did.

Edited by DesertHawk, 23 July 2012 - 07:49 PM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp