Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#32 BillC

BillC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Local time: 11:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita SD 17'
  • Interests:camping, back-road driving, meeting new friends, seeing the U.S.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

Joe,

Thank you for the quick response. I will give the start capacitor a try first. If that does not work I will certainly follow your suggestion and bench test the next air conditioner (I will try the LG) before I install it in the Casita. I can use the Sharp 8000 btu air conditioner in the house if the Hard Starter Capacity does not work with the generator. I will get the capacitor next week.

It would be interesting to see how many people with 2000 watt generators run an 8000 btu air condition without modification. Maybe we will hear from a few people?

Bill

Bill,
I bought the LG Model # LWHG8000RY6 about three years ago and it fit nicely into the spot where the original ac was. I believe they discontinued this model now and the equivelent is about one inch smaller all around..... I put a frigidaire brand in there first and it was just too noisy on low and this LG is much quieter on Low..... med and high it's still noisy but does a great job. It gives me no difficulty on ac compressor startup and the generator just surges higher on compressor kickin then settles down about half way between very quiet eco boost and full eco off. (I leave the Honda in eco mode the whole time) I have no complaints with this unit. If your interested in the smaller footprint 8000 btu LG, purchase it and bench test it a few times before installing it to see what your honda generator does. (notice my vents are on the left side so i get pretty good air circulation into the grand hallway LOL)
Below is the picture of my actual unit.
Joe

#33 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 08:37 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

Bill
That hard start capacitor is supposed to be a real blessing..... I think you will be happy with it.
I forget if it was mentioned earlier in this post but just for a test with your present air conditioner start the air conditioner on low fan and let it run for about 30 seconds then set it to cool so the compressor kicks on and see if that helps as it's less draw at startup.
Joe

Edited by Joe Z, 14 July 2012 - 09:26 PM.

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#34 BillC

BillC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

Joe,

The method you describe does work. The problem comes when the compressor cycles off and then needs to cycle back on. I can hear the compressor try but there is just not enough kick to start it consistently. I think, hopefully, that the hard starter capacitor will provide that little extra starting surge needed. I have read this kit provides at least a 300% improvement. If this works for me I will, in the future, just add a hard started capacitor to any new window air that I plan running off a small generator. Otherwise it probably is not needed for most other applications.

Bill

Bill
That hard start capacitor is supposed to be a real blessing..... I think you will be happy with it.
I forget if it was mentioned earlier in this post but just for a test with your present air conditioner start the air conditioner on low fan and let it run for about 30 seconds then set it to cool so the compressor kicks on and see if that helps as it's less draw at startup.
Joe

#35 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 08:37 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

Bill
Will you be doing this hard start capacitor mod soon?______ If yes could you reply back here or another post so we can get your take on the difference?___
Thanks,
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#36 BillC

BillC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Joe,

I hope to pick up the Hard Start Capacitor kit this Wednesday when I go to the "big" city of Lewiston Maine. I plan to have the mod completed by this coming weekend. I will be glad to share my experience. At this point I think the hardest part will be getting my front mounted air conditioner out of the Casita. A lot of "Great Stuff" and silicone has been used in the past. This is not the first time the air conditioner has been changed. I will start a new message when I report the results. My first contribution to the group and I am happy to do it. This group has made fixing up my older 1999 Casita much easier. A great source of information and a great group of sharing people!

Bill

Bill
Will you be doing this hard start capacitor mod soon?______ If yes could you reply back here or another post so we can get your take on the difference?___
Thanks,
Joe

#37 Acadia

Acadia
  • Casita Club Member
  • 83 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 16
  • Interests:Old cars, boats, and things that go !!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

BillC. Try removing the air unit from the outside case. I think you can leave the outer case in place in the Casita and pull the internals out by removing screws behind the plastic face. Removing the whole thing is a lot of work; been there !!!
Bob

Edited by Acadia, 15 July 2012 - 02:54 PM.

Bob and Pat
Acadia National Park, Maine
2002 16 LD Little Twinkie
TV GM Suburban or 62 Pontiac Bonneville

#38 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Local time: 10:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Luxury Traveler '91/13 '

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

BillC. Try removing the air unit from the outside case. I think you can leave the outer case in place in the Casita and pull the internals out by removing screws behind the plastic face. Removing the whole thing is a lot of work; been there !!!
Bob

... And we'll appreciate you keeping us all up to date on your progress/results. :) Ron

#39 BillC

BillC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Bob

I will take another look tomorrow to see if I can leave the outside case in place. I hope I get that lucky but the unit that is in there now looks like one of the made in China units which are not really built for service. We will see. Thanks for the tip.

Good to hear from you again Bob. Hope your project is going well.

BillC

#40 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Bob

I will take another look tomorrow to see if I can leave the outside case in place. I hope I get that lucky but the unit that is in there now looks like one of the made in China units which are not really built for service. We will see. Thanks for the tip.

Good to hear from you again Bob. Hope your project is going well.

BillC

#41 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

Bill, Did you get the hard start converter installed ?? Any details? Did you start another Forum string ? We are debating trying it. Ron

#42 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Joe,

I hope to pick up the Hard Start Capacitor kit this Wednesday when I go to the "big" city of Lewiston Maine. I plan to have the mod completed by this coming weekend. I will be glad to share my experience. At this point I think the hardest part will be getting my front mounted air conditioner out of the Casita. A lot of "Great Stuff" and silicone has been used in the past. This is not the first time the air conditioner has been changed. I will start a new message when I report the results. My first contribution to the group and I am happy to do it. This group has made fixing up my older 1999 Casita much easier. A great source of information and a great group of sharing people!

Bill

Bill
Thanks,
Joe

#43 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

We'd sure appreciate any follow-up info on your installation of the hard start capacitor mod and what the results were. Ron

#44 baron100

baron100
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Local time: 09:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

For anyone considering the hard start capacitor installation, there is an excellent set of instructions and photos at Don Dayton's Casita Mod website and a wealth of other modification documentation.

Casita Mod Documentation

AC Hard Start Capacitor

Edited by baron100, 23 July 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#45 BillC

BillC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

We'd sure appreciate any follow-up info on your installation of the hard start capacitor mod and what the results were. Ron

---------------
I did install the Hard Start Capacitor (HSC) and tested it with the Honda 2000i. I consider the test configuration a failure. It's not a configuration I would recommend to others. The Honda 2000, a fine little generator, simply does not have enough kick, even with the HSC, to confidently start the compressor between cycles. My configuration is, a Sharp air conditioner model AFS80RX 8K btu's. It has a 10.8 EER and only required 7amps and 740 watts in the run mode. I was never able to find out the manufactures stated start requirements. I live at an elevation of about 320' and ambient was about 91F, in the sun, on the test day. However, the start requirements, of the air conditioner, were evidently higher than what the Honda 2000, with the help of the HSC, could manage. I did test the setup with a regular 15 amp household circuit. Ran like a champ! The HSC caused the compressor to kick on so fast you could barely hear the compressor come on. That proves, to me, the HSC was working.

By placing the "eco" mode off and setting the air conditioner at it's coolest mode I was able to make the combination work for an hour or more but, at some point, the compressor would stall the generator. The generator just could not adjust voltage requirements fast enough at times. Raise ambient temperature and/or elevation and it would become less reliable, in my opinion. To my great disappointment, I will have to live with this configuration for a while because I have already put the $$$ into it. However, I strongly recommend you get a larger generator or a "proven" air conditioner of the size you want that runs on the generator you have or plan on getting. Get a configuration that someone else has has success with.

Just for information, the reason I changed the air conditioner out was because I though the compressor in the 5000 btu unit in the Casita was not working properly. I have also, thanks to this group, read enough to know that a 5000 btu units probably was not big enough for a 17ft SD on a really hot day in the sun. We plan on heading out West next year so expect to run into some hot weather. I just bought the Casita, well used, so I paid according. Instead of doing the smart thing and checking out the 5000 btu unit a little closer I just ordered an 8000 btu unit with similar measurement that would fit into the existing opening. When I got the new unit I opened up the air conditioner closet in the Casita to discover the 5000 btu unit was not the original unit. Who ever installed the 5K unit rip out all the baffles so the hot exhaust air from the air conditioner was mixing with the cooler outside air coming into the air conditioner single air chamber. No wonder the little 5K units was not putting out much cool air. It was trying to cool down its on heated exhaust air! Anyway, I rebuilt the baffles when I put the 8K unit in and that cools well when it get enough power!

I hope this provides helpful information. I have learned a lot from this group and want to share when I can.