#16 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Local time: 10:09 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Luxury Traveler '91/13 '

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

Great Joe. Our Casita is due for annual inspection anyway; think I'll ask the RV mechanic to put one on. ("fraid I'll screw it up). :)

#17 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 08:09 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

That honda 2000 is one mighty good inverter..... just to keep it running good about once a month run the honda for 30 minutes on high under a load of say a 1500 watt ceramic heater on high with eco off position.... that will keep the carbeurator bowl from gumming up and having to use the choke on half. I do it religiously every month.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#18 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

Thank you, Joe!

Edited by shen2000, 10 July 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#19 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Something not covered yet: The AC may be "short cycling".

This will happen with the front mount AC: The AC will come on ok the first time.
Then the air by the door gets cold, tells the AC to turn off the compressor. Then
the cold air flows down, warm air gets to the AC, and the thermostat tells the
compressor to come on, all before it has been off for at least 3 minutes since the
first cycle. The compressor has to start up with higher head pressure, wants more current,
and kicks out the overload on the generator.

Place a fan on the floor by the AC to pull more air out, and watch the cycle time.
The AC should stay off for at least 3 minutes so the pressure can bleed down.

If the AC has electronic controls, there is a delay programmed in so this won't happen.
The pressure has time to bleed down, and the compressor starts with low head pressure.

#20 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

This will happen with the front mount AC: The AC will come on ok the first time.
Then the air by the door gets cold, tells the AC to turn off the compressor. Then
compressor to come on, all before it has been off for at least 3 minutes since the
first cycle. The compressor has to start up with higher head pressure, wants more current,

Place a fan on the floor by the AC to pull more air out, and watch the cycle time.

If the AC has electronic controls, there is a delay programmed in so this won't happen.
The pressure has time to bleed down, and the compressor starts with low head pressure.

#21 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Wow! Great idea. This sounds very likely. We'll do just that!! Really appreciate this insight! Ron

#22 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Friz..... you are so right and there are different deflectors that can be fabricated out of cardboard etc but the fan would definitely do the trick..... mine used to cycle about every two minutes but i actually clipped the temperature probe and moved it to a different location ( not intended for all air conditioners) but doing that can also cause the ac to freeze up if the probe is too high up the ceiling (I need to lower mine down to about half way so it will cycle off sooner). the fans the best best if cycling is about every five minutes or less.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#23 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Friz..... you are so right and there are different deflectors that can be fabricated out of cardboard etc but the fan would definitely do the trick..... mine used to cycle about every two minutes but i actually clipped the temperature probe and moved it to a different location ( not intended for all air conditioners) but doing that can also cause the ac to freeze up if the probe is too high up the ceiling (I need to lower mine down to about half way so it will cycle off sooner). the fans the best best if cycling is about every five minutes or less.
Joe

#24 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

Thanks, Joe. We're definitely going to try this!! Ron

#25 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Thanks, Joe. We're definitely going to try this!! Ron

I can't take the credit...... It's Friz's idea as i completely forgot about the short cycle and that fan will really help.
clipping the temperature probe to another location is a risky thing if you don't know what your doing and can ruin an air conditioner if it's the old tube type probe and/or wrong type wire used...... stick with the fan or a deflector.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#26 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

OK, Joe. Definitely will. I'm not that technically competent. Thanks again. Ron

#27 BillC

BillC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Local time: 11:09 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita SD 17'
  • Interests:camping, back-road driving, meeting new friends, seeing the U.S.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Joe,

You wrote "My 8000 btu LG ac/honda 2000i work fine without it". Would you share what specific model of LG you are using. I just bought a new 8000 btu Sharp air conditioner and my new Honda gen does not handle it well. Even plunged directly into the generator. It eventually stalls the generator while trying to start the compressor. I will try adding a Hard Start Capacitor kit. If that does not work I would like to install the same LG as you are using.

Bill

Thank you, Joe!! Regretfully, I'm not "really handy," but will check it out. Assume it's to smooth out the "surges" in the generator operation as compressor comes on to cool the air?

yes...... that's what it does and everyone that uses one really likes it. My 8000 btu LG ac/honda 2000i work fine without it.
Joe

#28 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Bill,
I bought the LG Model # LWHG8000RY6 about three years ago and it fit nicely into the spot where the original ac was. I believe they discontinued this model now and the equivelent is about one inch smaller all around..... I put a frigidaire brand in there first and it was just too noisy on low and this LG is much quieter on Low..... med and high it's still noisy but does a great job. It gives me no difficulty on ac compressor startup and the generator just surges higher on compressor kickin then settles down about half way between very quiet eco boost and full eco off. (I leave the Honda in eco mode the whole time) I have no complaints with this unit. If your interested in the smaller footprint 8000 btu LG, purchase it and bench test it a few times before installing it to see what your honda generator does. (notice my vents are on the left side so i get pretty good air circulation into the grand hallway LOL)
Below is the picture of my actual unit.
Joe

P1010030.JPG

Edited by Joe Z, 14 July 2012 - 03:50 PM.

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#29 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

Bill,
I bought the LG Model # LWHG8000RY6 about three years ago and it fit nicely into the spot where the original ac was. I believe they discontinued this model now and the equivelent is about one inch smaller all around..... I put a frigidaire brand in there first and it was just too noisy on low and this LG is much quieter on Low..... med and high it's still noisy but does a great job. It gives me no difficulty on ac compressor startup and the generator just surges higher on compressor kickin then settles down about half way between very quiet eco boost and full eco off. (I leave the Honda in eco mode the whole time) I have no complaints with this unit. If your interested in the smaller footprint 8000 btu LG, purchase it and bench test it a few times before installing it to see what your honda generator does. (notice my vents are on the left side so i get pretty good air circulation into the grand hallway LOL)
Below is the picture of my actual unit.
Joe

P1010030.JPG

#30 shen2000

shen2000
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

We just bought an expandable window a/c air deflector at Lowe's and set it up with a home-made "bunji cord" (alittle rubber band with paper clip hooks on both ends) that hold it nice and tight. Works great (cooling the "grand hallway" away from the a/c thermostat). Ron