19 replies to this topic

#16 Zetta

Zetta
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1998 Liberty Deluxe

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:12 PM

Hi, I purchased some LED replacement bulbs for the old 1141 incandescent bulbs in my 1998 Liberty Deluxe and maybe I should have paid attention to the brand name “HOT SYSTEM” because while I like the brighter lights of the LEDs they get so hot after 30 minutes or so that they start to flicker. At first I only noticed one light in particular flickering and I thought maybe it was loose so I popped the cover off and attempted to tighten the bulb but it was so hot that it blistered my thumb and forefinger from just the briefest touch. So now I am concerned about a fire hazard with these bulbs. This is what I purchased - HOT SYSTEM™ 1156 7506 1003 1141 LED SMD 18 LED BULBS INTERIOR RV CAMPER WHITE 10-PACK

I’m not criticizing the brand or manufacturer since I assume I ordered the wrong item. Can anyone offer any other ideas for why these bulbs are getting so hot and how to fix it? Thanks

#17 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 179 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SOLD 2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:27 PM

Hi, I purchased some LED replacement bulbs for the old 1141 incandescent bulbs in my 1998 Liberty Deluxe and maybe I should have paid attention to the brand name “HOT SYSTEM” because while I like the brighter lights of the LEDs they get so hot after 30 minutes or so that they start to flicker. At first I only noticed one light in particular flickering and I thought maybe it was loose so I popped the cover off and attempted to tighten the bulb but it was so hot that it blistered my thumb and forefinger from just the briefest touch. So now I am concerned about a fire hazard with these bulbs. This is what I purchased - HOT SYSTEM™ 1156 7506 1003 1141 LED SMD 18 LED BULBS INTERIOR RV CAMPER WHITE 10-PACK

I’m not criticizing the brand or manufacturer since I assume I ordered the wrong item. Can anyone offer any other ideas for why these bulbs are getting so hot and how to fix it? Thanks

If you believe all the 1 star reviews you would think they should come with a fire extinguisher!   

https://www.amazon.c...iews-filter-bar

Sorry - cant answer your actual question.

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Saw the country in a 2002 Bigfoot 17 - now sold.

Where is Jim now? Hiding in the UK until Covid passes.

#18 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local time: 01:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:34 PM

something is radically wrong. LED bulbs should produce MUCH less heat than incandescents & neither should be so hot they flicker or blister your hand from the briefest touch. throw them away immediately & order better LEDs.................

Edited by clairemr1, 22 July 2019 - 05:34 PM.

• NASA42 B likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#19 Zetta

Zetta
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1998 Liberty Deluxe

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. I should have done more research before buying that brand. Is there a recommended brand or supplier for quality LEDs?

#20 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 185 posts
  • Local time: 01:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:40 AM

Check to see if they get hot when not using shore power.   I found the original converter had a lot of unfiltered DC when on shore power and LED's do not like that.  Yes they get very hot.   

If they do not get hot when on battery power and shore power is disconnected, then the issue is with the converter.   For that reason and others, I changed my converter to a Progressive Dynamics 4645V.   Problem with LED's solved and much better performance in maintaining the AGM battery. 

Bob

Edited by Linda & Bob, K4TAX, 14 August 2019 - 09:32 AM.