Photo

Are There Used Casitas For Sale In California?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Local time: 05:28 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:looking for a Casita
  • Trailer Name:Casita

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

We have been looking for a used casita 17' not sure if we prefer a Liberty Deluxe or a Spirit. If a good clean one comes up and is in great shape, that may make the decision for us. Except everything we see for sales is in Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia or other points East. Are we missing something? Is there a place where we're not looking which advertises Casitas for sale in California? Anyone know? If it doesn't work out, we'll probably make the trip to Rice for a new one in 2013. Giving ourselves plenty of time to look until then. Thoughts anyone? After reading about "rotted floors" we're wondering if we should just go for a new one.

#2 ewauld

ewauld
  • Casita Club Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

Did you see this post yesterday ? http://www.casitaclu...ren-california/

I see two ads in the classified in Washington state also.

Good hunting !

Ed
2000 17' SD
08 Trailblazer TV

#3 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

This is an excerpt from the forthcoming Casita Guide I've written. It will be available on March 30th.

Finding A Pre-Owned Casita (a.k.a. "The Egg Hunt")

Finding a pre-owned Casita in good condition can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Your search can take a few days or a few months, depending on what you're looking as far as model, options, and the distance you're willing to drive.

Most Casitas are sold privately by current owners. Occasionally, you may discover one on a RV dealer lot.

Here are a few suggestions to help you in your search:

Members-only classifieds: Check out what's listed on www.CasitaClub.com, www.CasitaForum.com or www.FiberglassRV.com.

eBay or your local Craigslist listings. Research and caution are the key words here. Again, you might try posting a "Casita Wanted" ad.

JaXed Mash http://tinyurl.com/4wdgqbu. A "one-stop shop" of Casita ads from all over the U.S. and Canada that are currently listed on Craigslist, eBay and Kijiji.

Post a "Casita Wanted" ad. If you are contacted by a potential seller, one of the advantages will be not having to compete with other buyers.

Newspaper classifieds. You may get lucky by checking your local listings.

RV dealer. The upside is that you may find a Casita to suit your needs. The downside is that you may end up paying more and you won't have any history on its previous owner(s) or usage.

Approach an owner...even if there's no "For Sale" sign on their Casita. Granted, it's a long shot, but it can't hurt to ask. It's been known to work a time or two.

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#4 Kip K.

Kip K.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Local time: 09:28 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

This is an excerpt from the forthcoming Casita Guide I've written. It will be available on March 30th.

Finding a pre-owned Casita in good condition can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Your search can take a few days or a few months, depending on what you're looking as far as model, options, and the distance you're willing to drive.

Most Casitas are sold privately by current owners. Occasionally, you may discover one on a RV dealer lot.

Members-only classifieds: Check out what's listed on www.CasitaClub.com, www.CasitaForum.com or www.FiberglassRV.com.

eBay or your local Craigslist listings. Research and caution are the key words here. Again, you might try posting a "Casita Wanted" ad.

JaXed Mash http://tinyurl.com/4wdgqbu. A "one-stop shop" of Casita ads from all over the U.S. and Canada that are currently listed on Craigslist, eBay and Kijiji.

Post a "Casita Wanted" ad. If you are contacted by a potential seller, one of the advantages will be not having to compete with other buyers.

RV dealer. The upside is that you may find a Casita to suit your needs. The downside is that you may end up paying more and you won't have any history on its previous owner(s) or usage.

Approach an owner...even if there's no "For Sale" sign on their Casita. Granted, it's a long shot, but it can't hurt to ask. It's been known to work a time or two.

Good advice,

I posted a "Casita Wanted" add here on the Casita web site. Seems it was in back in November or December of 2010. Purchased a 17' Spirit Deluxe the first part of Jaunary 2011. I still occationally get calls and PMs from someone with one for sale.

FWIW; We live Just South of Atlanta Georgia and it seemed those for sale were in Texas, California, and so forth. One morning I woke early, around 6am, went to the Casita classifieds and a fresh one one was advertised as located on the Gulf in Mississippi. About 500 miles from me. I sent him an E-mail and shamelessly called him around 6:30 my time. That would have been 5:30 his time. He called me back about an hour later!

After a few minutes of talking I felt he was the real deal and believed what he told me about his Casita. I explained my problems with traveling that distance. And he offered to meet me half way. It was nearly a month before we could both find the time to make the trip. Meanwhile I got calls from others for sale. Never went to look at any, because I had given the man my word. We got together and I purchased it. It is an '03 Spirit Deluxe.

I came real close to ordering a new one, but the thought that we might not like it scared me. The price loaded would have been $18K + another $1000 state sales tax. This one was $10,500. It had a few problems that I was able to fix with the help of folks on these forums. Which taught me, there is nothing wrong with drilling some holes or taking things apart to make it "OUR" Camper. Probably would not have done that with a new one and we would not have been as happy as we are now! If I sold it today, would likely not loose much or any money. With that said, if I had extra money I would sell this one and buy a squeeky clean new one!

Something about "NEW" that just smells good! :rofl2:

Go to as many Rallies as you can. You will get good ideas and meet great people, and learn what to look for in a used one. Might even run across one for sale!

Kip

Edited by Kip K., 26 March 2012 - 01:11 PM.

In God we Trust!

#5 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Did you see this post yesterday ? http://www.casitaclu...ren-california/

I see two ads in the classified in Washington state also.

Good hunting !

Ed

Thank you for the info, Ed! We are hunting...but also not adverse to buying new if we need to. Not in a huge rush, so we have some time to browse! Absolutely love the responses. Casita people are the best, thanks again!

#6 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Thank you for your reply! Great ideas...we've been doing tons of reading and even looking on youtube. It's been fun and the more we look the more excited we're getting about joining all of you "on the road" :) Thanks again!