43 replies to this topic

#31 mitch3644

mitch3644
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 PM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:01 PM

http://www.easymobil...le_carriers.htm

Check out this site, I've been wondering if something like this would work, I'd love to take my yamaha xt225 along without taking the shell off my truck (my dogs travel back there). I figure it would add about 288 lbs to the back of the truck (rack 50 + 238 for the bike dry). I'd rather put the bike on the back of the trailer but sounds like it wouldn't work out.

#32 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,626 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

http://www.easymobil...le_carriers.htm

Check out this site, I've been wondering if something like this would work, I'd love to take my yamaha xt225 along without taking the shell off my truck (my dogs travel back there). I figure it would add about 288 lbs to the back of the truck (rack 50 + 238 for the bike dry). I'd rather put the bike on the back of the trailer but sounds like it wouldn't work out.

I have 2 bicycles and a rack on the back of the Casita, not been a problem. I haul with a 1 ton F350 diesel..........and I wouldn't put that on the back of the Casita! However, on OUR tow vehicle I would consider putting that in a receiver hitch on the front of OUR TV. That looks like a great rack but I would be one of the first to say that stretches the boundaries of the back end of a the modest Castia.

Just my opinion. We are trying to find a suitable scooter/offroad/onroad bike for trips to places like Big Bend, National Forest and AirVenture. So we have been looking at where we are going to haul the bike/scooter. Like you, the bed of our truck is used for other purposes.

Happy Trails!

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#33 mitch3644

mitch3644
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

If your looking for a good light weight all around bike the Yamaha XT 225 is a great bike and they made a lot of them. I've seen low milage bikes for sale for around 2k or less. They will handle off road and road travel and are street legal.

#34 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,626 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

If your looking for a good light weight all around bike the Yamaha XT 225 is a great bike and they made a lot of them. I've seen low milage bikes for sale for around 2k or less. They will handle off road and road travel and are street legal.

Mitch

thanks for the suggestion on the Yamaha XT 225. I am going to look into it further. Someone else mentioned they carried a couple of Honda CT70s, that looks to also be a popular scooter. We will probably carry the scooter on a receiver hitch mount on the front of our truck.

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#35 mitch3644

mitch3644
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:09 AM

Mitch

thanks for the suggestion on the Yamaha XT 225. I am going to look into it further. Someone else mentioned they carried a couple of Honda CT70s, that looks to also be a popular scooter. We will probably carry the scooter on a receiver hitch mount on the front of our truck.

Clover

I think I'm going to look into a front reciever mount might be the best way to go.

#36 DeadEyeDan

DeadEyeDan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 PM
  • Interests:Motorcycles
    Photography
    Ham Radio

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

I think I'm going to look into a front reciever mount might be the best way to go.

My TV could handle a front hitch, at the expense of the light bar and extra driving and fog lights, which I have put to good use. Maybe a smaller dual sport on the back. The tow weight is not an issue, but the chassis weight might be. Just have to see.
(Dead Eye) Dan
Sacramento CA
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe (Snoopy1)
2003 Ford Excursion Diesel (Tow Beast)
DANzGarage BLOG

#37 roadcam

roadcam
  • Casita Club Member
  • 201 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 FD 17'
  • Interests:my dog 'Sybil', survival in a 17' trailer, photography, computers

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

better check the laws regarding a front-mounted hitch, some states do NOT allow you to haul a motorcycle up front - I checked for the same reason, and saw Kalifornia has also outlawed them, now ...
2009 Casita 17' FD
2008 Ford E-250 Supervan

" if you don't care where you're going, you're never lost - if you don't care when you get there, you're never late "

http://sunseekerimages.blogspot.com/

#38 Shelly

Shelly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 22 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:not yet

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:47 AM

I use my rear 2" receiver to haul my gear box. Its really handy on a small trailer with minimal storage.

Can you tell me where you got your storag box? It looks very nice on the back of your camper...

#39 Ed Harris

Ed Harris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:51 AM

I use my rear 2" receiver to haul my gear box. Its really handy on a small trailer with minimal storage.

Can you tell me where you got your storag box? It looks very nice on the back of your camper...

Shelly

Looks like a Stowaway to me?

Ed-In the countdown mode.
2002 Casita 17FD
1982 FiberStream 16'
Down to 2 for now!
KC0UKR-Easy Dog

I can stop anytime....Really!

#40 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,360 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

Yes, it is a Stow-Away box. They are rotomolded plastic, and are quite well built. I bought the 49" model, with the upturned (gooseneck) 2" receiver bracket so that it rides higher than the rear bumper. It also comes with rear lights (brake/turn/lic. plate) and a twist-type locking latch. They also have several other sizes, and they're available in either black or white. I really like it, and it has a lot of room for carrying all those bulky items that don't fit inside the trailer well.

Link to website: http://www.stowaway2...ed-Carrier.aspx

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#41 LD51

LD51
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16-17 ft Freedom

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

euphoria...what type of box is that? and what does it weigh?

#42 arlon

arlon
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Bunk Delux
  • Interests:Anything that gets me outside, photography

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

I was considering something similar but coming at it from a 180 deg different direction. I've often considered lengthening my casita frame about 2 feet on the FRONT. I could but a bike rack up against the front of the trailer and still have room for propane, etc. I think the tires I have on the trailer and axle would handle the extra load. I tow with a 3/4 ton truck so the added tongue weight wouldn't be much of an issue either. I would also consider a rack like the one mentioned earlier on a front mount hitch on my truck. There are 500lb front mount hitches available but my wife would hate to have to see the scenery throught the handle bars of a motorcycle.
2002 17 Casita Bunk Model Delux
2005 AWD Astro van (my solo camper)
Dodge/Cummins quad cab

#43 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 413 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

I was considering something similar but coming at it from a 180 deg different direction. I've often considered lengthening my casita frame about 2 feet on the FRONT. I could but a bike rack up against the front of the trailer and still have room for propane, etc. I think the tires I have on the trailer and axle would handle the extra load. I tow with a 3/4 ton truck so the added tongue weight wouldn't be much of an issue either. I would also consider a rack like the one mentioned earlier on a front mount hitch on my truck. There are 500lb front mount hitches available but my wife would hate to have to see the scenery throught the handle bars of a motorcycle.

Did you know that Orbital makes a tongue extension kit.
Contact us if you need more info

Jim

Edited by widgetwizard, 03 February 2014 - 11:40 AM.

Orbital Machine Works online store
http://www.perfectcasita.com

#44 arlon

arlon
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Bunk Delux
  • Interests:Anything that gets me outside, photography

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

Did you know that Orbital makes a tongue extension kit.
Contact us if you need more info

Jim

I did not know that!
2002 17 Casita Bunk Model Delux
2005 AWD Astro van (my solo camper)
Dodge/Cummins quad cab