DeadEyeDan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 PM
  • Interests:Motorcycles
    Photography
    Ham Radio

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

As a motorcycle rider who now owns a Casita, I was trying to find a way to bring a motorcycle along. One way is to get ride of my SUV and get a pick up, but I was wondering if anyone had built a rack across the back using the rear bumper that could support a bike?

Putting the casita and motorcycle on another trailer is not an option.

Any ideas, pics?
(Dead Eye) Dan
Sacramento CA
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe (Snoopy1)
2003 Ford Excursion Diesel (Tow Beast)
DANzGarage BLOG

#2 sparky1

sparky1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 279 posts
  • Local time: 12:39 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:13Ft Patriot Deluxe
  • Interests:camping in something--
    I have a female cat
    good sam lifetimer
  • Casita Club Directory #:2911 virginia

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

rear bumper that could support a bike?

Putting the casita and motorcycle on another trailer is not an option.

Any ideas, pics?
I would NOT do that ---the weight balance would decrease the Hitch weight =10% of trailer weight-thus causing severe swaying ,and probably bending the frame.Casita's are NOT made to haul excessive weight-
Please don't do this.
MY 2 cents.

sparky1 in southern va.

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,360 posts
  • Local time: 09:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

I guess, first off, how big of a "bike" are we talking about? Is it a Honda CT70 trailbike, or a full dress Harley? Also, as far as the factory bumper goes, it is worthless for carrying anything heavier than a "stinky slinky" sewer hose. IMO it is little more than heavy gauge tin foil. I travel with a couple of CT70 style bikes, but I haul them in the bed of the pickup under the canopy (I like them because the handlebars fold down). I don't carry our bikes on the back of the trailer, because they will get so filthy with road dirt by the time you get where your going, but I do have an aftermarket heavy duty 3" square channel tubing bumper installed in place of the sewer hose bumper because I do use a Stow-Awaytm box mounted to a 2" receiver hitch on the back. As far as weight goes, well, I have probably about 200 lbs added to the rear of the trailer (box and gear), and have no problems with low tongue weight. Casitas tend to run "nose-heavy" anyway.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#4 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,470 posts
  • Local time: 11:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

I didn't have any problems sticking a Harley on the back of ours.

Harley hauler.jpg

Harold :rolleyes:

#5 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,417 posts
  • Local time: 10:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:39 PM

On Padre Island a couple of years ago I talked to a Casita owner who carried a small trail bike on the back of his Casita. He said it presented no problems at all, but he readily admitted to having had the rear bumper modified and strengthened to carry the weight.

If needed you could compromise by hauling less water in the tank until you arrive at your destination.

Ed

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#6 Luckyman

Luckyman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 982 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2018 Freedom Deluxe 17'

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

Is this the motorcycle you're wanting to take along?

Posted Image

#7 DeadEyeDan

DeadEyeDan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
    Photography
    Ham Radio

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

Posted Image

That would be one of them, yes indeedy!
(Dead Eye) Dan
Sacramento CA
DANzGarage BLOG

#8 DeadEyeDan

DeadEyeDan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
    Photography
    Ham Radio

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:49 AM

I didn't have any problems sticking a Harley on the back of ours.

Harley hauler.jpg

Harold :rolleyes:

Nice bike, and nice picture! There appears to be a bit of photoshopping going on here. There are no tie downs, no ramps, and no wheel supports.

So Harold, if you're not "pulling my leg" LOL, tell me more.
(Dead Eye) Dan
Sacramento CA
DANzGarage BLOG

#9 DeadEyeDan

DeadEyeDan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
    Photography
    Ham Radio

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:53 AM

I guess, first off, how big of a "bike" are we talking about? Is it a Honda CT70 trailbike, or a full dress Harley? Also, as far as the factory bumper goes, it is worthless for carrying anything heavier than a "stinky slinky" sewer hose. IMO it is little more than heavy gauge tin foil. I travel with a couple of CT70 style bikes, but I haul them in the bed of the pickup under the canopy (I like them because the handlebars fold down). I don't carry our bikes on the back of the trailer, because they will get so filthy with road dirt by the time you get where your going, but I do have an aftermarket heavy duty 3" square channel tubing bumper installed in place of the sewer hose bumper because I do use a Stow-Awaytm box mounted to a 2" receiver hitch on the back. As far as weight goes, well, I have probably about 200 lbs added to the rear of the trailer (box and gear), and have no problems with low tongue weight. Casitas tend to run "nose-heavy" anyway.

We are looking at pick-ups, but due to the costs involved, and our fondness for the tow beast we already own free and clear, that is postponed a while.

As far as the strengthening of your bumper, that sounds like a good idea in any case, where did you have that done?
(Dead Eye) Dan
Sacramento CA
DANzGarage BLOG

#10 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0009.JPG
I did it myself right in my driveway in front of my garage. Lincoln 225A stick welder, Hobart wire feed MIG, and my trusty Oxy/Acetylene torch., Oh and don't forget the Sawzall and grinders. Its not hard. I just Sawzalled off the old tin foil bumper right at the points where it attaches to the rear of the 3" frame members. Dressed the edges with the grinder and fabricated a new bumper out of 3" heavy-walled square channel. Welded the 5' long piece to the rear butt ends of the frame members. For added strength I welded a piece of 1.5" square channel underneath between the outboard frame members as a forward stiffener, and had the steel shop cut me a 2' piece of 2" receiver tube to weld underneath the bumper and the 1.5" crossmember stiffener. Remember, most channel tubing is measured as an O.D., but "receiver tubing" is measured dimensionally as an I.D. If you don't want to source out some receiver channel tubing, you can probably buy a commercially made one and weld it on instead. It's just cheaper to make your own, but it is a little more work.

Edited by Euphoria, 10 August 2011 - 08:27 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#11 DeadEyeDan

DeadEyeDan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
    Photography
    Ham Radio

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0009.JPG
I did it myself right in my driveway in front of my garage. Lincoln 225A stick welder, Hobart wire feed MIG, and my trusty Oxy/Acetylene torch., Oh and don't forget the Sawzall and grinders. Its not hard. I just Sawzalled off the old tin foil bumper right at the points where it attaches to the rear of the 3" frame members. Dressed the edges with the grinder and fabricated a new bumper out of 3" heavy-walled square channel. Welded the 5' long piece to the rear butt ends of the frame members. For added strength I welded a piece of 1.5" square channel underneath between the outboard frame members as a forward stiffener, and had the steel shop cut me a 2' piece of 2" receiver tube to weld underneath the bumper and the 1.5" crossmember stiffener. Remember, most channel tubing is measured as an O.D., but "receiver tubing" is measured dimensionally as an I.D. If you don't want to source out some receiver channel tubing, you can probably buy a commercially made one and weld it on instead. It's just cheaper to make your own, but it is a little more work.

Nicely done. I do not have a welder. Been so long I wouldn't trust my welding anyway LOL. Good idea though. Even if not a motorcycle, it would be nice to have some additional storage back there.

There are a number of rear bumper motorcycle carriers designed for a trailer hitch. I would think 500 lbs would be ok.

My tow rig can handle that and more so it might work.
(Dead Eye) Dan
Sacramento CA
DANzGarage BLOG

#12 Luckyman

Luckyman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 982 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2018 Freedom Deluxe 17'

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

Posted Image

That would be one of them, yes indeedy!

I know you're joking. You propose to hang a 600 lb. motorcycle on the rear of a trailer which only has 400 lbs. of tongue weight to begin with? Have you ever been on a teeter-totter? :rolleyes:

#13 roadcam

roadcam
  • Casita Club Member
  • 201 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 FD 17'
  • Interests:my dog 'Sybil', survival in a 17' trailer, photography, computers

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

when you're finished building it, and loading it, drive it down to your local certified scale, and see how much over-capacity your axle is :rolleyes:
2009 Casita 17' FD
2008 Ford E-250 Supervan

" if you don't care where you're going, you're never lost - if you don't care when you get there, you're never late "

http://sunseekerimages.blogspot.com/

#14 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

Someone else posted this same question just a few months ago, and I don't remember that he came up with a solution. IMHO, the only thing you can do is put the Casita AND the motorcyle on a big flatbed trailer and tow it.

Nathan Johnson is having problems with the extra weight on the back of his Casita just loading bicycles!

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#15 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

small_IMG_0004.jpg
I use my rear 2" receiver to haul my gear box. Its really handy on a small trailer with minimal storage.

Edited by Euphoria, 11 August 2011 - 06:58 AM.

• Don & Sue VT likes this

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754