• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Ed Harris

Ed Harris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 343 posts
  • Local time: 12:12 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:47 AM

This is one of the more interesting awnings I have seen.
Karen K. has one on her Companion and it works well.

http://www.busdepot....ails/awning.jsp

Scroll down to the options and they show various methods for attachment, including suction cups.
I have seen the suction cups in use and they really hold on fiberglass.

Edited by Ed Harris, 08 March 2011 - 06:53 AM.

2002 Casita 17FD
1982 FiberStream 16'
Down to 2 for now!
KC0UKR-Easy Dog

I can stop anytime....Really!

#17 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 01:12 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

ed,

i have the same awning from the same place. it really is a great deal and works well. like most things these days i thought the assembly learning curve was a bit steep...but, now that i've put it up and down a few times it's really quite easy. i tried to get the suction cups when i ordered mine, but they were an a long backorder so i got the extra set of poles and use it that way. the the assembled frame allows you to extend the cover over the roof of the trailer a bit and the door clears. the suction cups can be ordered separately (last year they were around $70.00) and would certainly serve as an attachment of a lightweight tarp to the roof of an egg.

p@
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#18 Robere

Robere
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 91 posts
  • Local time: 09:12 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' SD HLA
  • Interests:nature, jazz, history, and friendly people

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

Suction cups for $70? Seems a bit steep to me. What am I missing that would justify $70?
Robere & Jacqueline (aka Pepe & Gigi) with Ella (the Miniature Poodle) & Tibet (the Lhasa Apso).
2012 Toyota 4Runner 4.0 liter V-6 4x4 followed by
"blue note" a 2010 17' SD HLA

#19 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:18 AM

What am I missing that would justify $70?

well.. not to trip over the obvious, but... they work. i've a garage full (well, perhaps not that many) of suction cups that i've acquired for this purpose only to find that they didn't do the job. holding a towel or a soap dish to the wall of the shower is one thing and attaching and awning or tarp to the egg is quite another. even if i do get the high dollar suction cups, i still have less than $200 in a very functional awning.

just confirms that there's so many ways to skin the same cat with these trailers. unfortunately, most of them cost some bucks.

p@

#20 Robere

Robere
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

Problem solved. Jacqueline spotted two "Bath Safety Grip Handles" while browsing in a local charity shop (Habitat for Humanity). We purchased them ($5 each), tested them, and are now able to attach our 12' x 12' Kelty Noah Tarp most anywhere we wish on the Casita. The only requirement is a flat clean surface with slightly moistened suction cups. The Grip Handles are solid enough that I can rock the Casita with them. New on the web $11-$26.
Robere & Jacqueline (aka Pepe & Gigi) with Ella (the Miniature Poodle) & Tibet (the Lhasa Apso).

#21 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

Possum, this thread shows the window awnings I made for the rear window and 2 street side windows. No rain going to get under awning. I originally designed awnings using shade material, pvc pipe frames and suction cup hooks to hold them but even with the ez rain gutter they weren't water proof. And I just wanted something better. The new ones are super easy to roll up and store/transport and to put up.
http://www.casitafor...?showtopic=6024
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#22 Possum

Possum
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Camping, Photography

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

Borderbrae,
You know, I saw that post a while back but didn't pay a whole lot of attention. This looks like just the ticket......stay tuned! Thanks.
Kim & Luanna
2010 17' Spirit Deluxe
Seattle

#23 rlaz

rlaz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:58 AM

f_stop,

Just wondering. The shape of that awning reminds me of an umbrella and I was wondering if winds get under it and try to lift it the way my umbrella sometimes does in blowing rain. I know awnings should be very well attached to prevent that sort of thing, but how does this awning do in windy conditons?
Bill and Rhonda
College Station, Texas
'95 FreeSpirit (our very special modification...1/2 Freedom Deluxe..1/2 Spirit Deluxe)
'04 Ford Explorer

#24 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

riaz,

that little awning does great in windy conditions...up to a point, of course. i mean, if it's really windy i don't think you want to deploy any awning. the only time i've had a problem with wind was earlier this year at the beach with gusts up to 35mph. after i tightened up the tether lines and used the provided spikes thru the feet of the corner supports and everything was cool. that domed roof arrangement works really well in rain because the shape prevents the dreaded awning puddles.

and... i just received a set of very special (and expensive) suction cups designed to work with this awning with attachment provision, etc... if they work i'll be able to erect the awning with only 2 poles (in front). i'm off to the woods next week and will report back on the efficacy of these hi dollar cups (perhaps then i'll tell you how many dollars...)

p@

#25 Robere

Robere
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

DSC_7144.jpg DSC_7143.jpg Photos of Kelty Tarp attachment.

DSC_7142.jpg
  • Tampa Rick likes this

#26 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:47 AM

well.. i tried those suction handles and never could get them to stay tightly attached. you have a very effective and inexpensive awing there...good work!

p@

#27 Robere

Robere
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:32 AM

well.. i tried those suction handles and never could get them to stay tightly attached. you have a very effective and inexpensive awing there...good work!

p@

The suction cup handles are normally used to provide stability in a bathroom/shower. They attach securely enough that I can rock the Casita. The key is a clean surface, clean suction cups slightly moistened on a flat surface. The device uses a latch to provide additional suction. They are less than $10 each on Amazon. Did you use them as I described?

#28 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

p@

The suction cup handles are normally used to provide stability in a bathroom/shower. They attach securely enough that I can rock the Casita. The key is a clean surface, clean suction cups slightly moistened on a flat surface. The device uses a latch to provide additional suction. They are less than $10 each on Amazon. Did you use them as I described?

yes, i tried as you described with exactly the same products. i think the issue i had was related to finding a "flat" surface where i needed one to be on my patriot. since i'm attaching an awning with a frame i'm kinda limited as to where i can use the suction cups. i'm going camping next week with a set of suction cup attachment devices that came from the awning manufacturer... we'll see...

p@

#29 rlaz

rlaz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

f_stop,

Thanks for telling me more about the awning. I can see how rain would run off easily, but just wondered about wind lifting it like an umbrella. It is reasonably priced, I think. They came in 2 sizes on the website, which did you get?Can't wait to hear your experience using your high dollar suction cups. Thinking I would try those handle ones first to see if I had good luck with them. Wouldn't lose much if they didn't work for me and then would consider spending more. Please take some pictures of using the new suction cups and how it helped to only use 2 poles with your awning. We are all interested in what works best with our Casitas without factory awnings.

rhonda
Bill and Rhonda
College Station, Texas
'95 FreeSpirit (our very special modification...1/2 Freedom Deluxe..1/2 Spirit Deluxe)
'04 Ford Explorer

#30 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

ok...here's some results from my grand suction cup experiment. just as a recap i use an awning from the bus depot that was designed to be used on a vw camper van. until this trip i've used poles at 4 corners to erect this awning. this past trip i was determined to find out if those high dollar suction cup attachment devices (they're $45/set) would actually work. unfortunately last week's weather was the kind that no one in their right mind would attempt to use an awning (the storm that caused so much damage in the deep south followed me to maryland). since i don't fall in that "right mind" category i wasn't to be deterred. i can say that erecting the awning with the suction cups is a LOT easier that with the 4 poles (i travel solo). the wind however made the task a bit more difficult. i did get it up and as you can see in the photos i tied off all 4 corners with the tie downs that came with the awning (again, because of the windy conditions). did the cups hold? well, yes, sorta. the suction cups did loose their suction a few times but it was only one at a time. the awning never seemed to be in danger of falling. i think part of the problem was that i might have installed them kinda backwards and to correct this i would have had to disassemble and start over which i was reluctant to attempt. i also think i should have moved the suction cups farther toward the center of the roof to get a flatter surface.

i'm convinced that given the right weather and proper installation these things will work well. i'm hoping that my next trip will be better weather so i can get a true test of how well they perform. so stay tuned....

p@

whole awning.jpg
awning cu.jpg
suction cup cu.jpg
  • Tampa Rick likes this