57 replies to this topic

#1 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts
  • Local time: 09:33 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

Hi folks,

I was intrigued by forum discussions on using LED replacements for standard type 1141 incandescent bulbs in our Casitas to achieve significant 12V power draw savings. A few different styles are available in the marketplace, with the tower type featuring same bayonet bases most common for quick no-hassle "plug 'n play" installation. The "warm" color equivalent to incandescent also seems preferred by many Casita owners (including myself). This category of LED is costly, so I decided to pursue a volume discount from a USA source known by forum members rather than from Asia or similar alternative.

The link below culminates communication with proprietor of LED Trailer Lights over a few weeks. My objectives were to obtain special pricing which creates sufficient incentive for owners to reach for their wallets during a limited time "window of opportunity" and also to avoid acting as a single point agent as is often done on internet discussion groups. I think both objectives are covered. I also note that the small T10 wedge type used in Casita galley range hoods is included with special pricing. Check out the link, but in brief, no minimum purchase and reduced price flat rate shipping per transaction. Just in time for Springtime boondocking, especially for those heading to Quartzsite! Don't delay though, 'cus this Group Buy pricing expires February 5th, 2011! B)

Group Buy link to LEDTrailerLights.com

"DirtDawg" Jeff
Payson, AZ

2011 Lance 1685 - DawgHouse III

2010 17 SD - DawgHouse II (sold)
2014 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 6.2L
2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#2 Sage

Sage
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts
  • Local time: 10:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 SD/17'
  • Interests:Hiking, rockhounding, silversmithing, reading and painting.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Hi folks,

I was intrigued by forum discussions on using LED replacements for standard type 1141 incandescent bulbs in our Casitas to achieve significant 12V power draw savings. A few different styles are available in the marketplace, with the tower type featuring same bayonet bases most common for quick no-hassle "plug 'n play" installation. The "warm" color equivalent to incandescent also seems preferred by many Casita owners (including myself). This category of LED is costly, so I decided to pursue a volume discount from a USA source known by forum members rather than from Asia or similar alternative.

The link below culminates communication with proprietor of LED Trailer Lights over a few weeks. My objectives were to obtain special pricing which creates sufficient incentive for owners to reach for their wallets during a limited time "window of opportunity" and also to avoid acting as a single point agent as is often done on internet discussion groups. I think both objectives are covered. I also note that the small T10 wedge type used in Casita galley range hoods is included with special pricing. Check out the link, but in brief, no minimum purchase and reduced price flat rate shipping per transaction. Just in time for Springtime boondocking, especially for those heading to Quartzsite! Don't delay though, 'cus this Group Buy pricing expires February 5th, 2011! B)

Group Buy link to LEDTrailerLights.com

Thanks Jeff. That is better than Quartzsite prices too. I ordered a bunch.
Diane aka Sage
Sage & Miss Fannie
2002 17' Casita SD
1999 Ford Explorer
S. CA

#3 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local time: 01:33 AM
  • Interests:Sunshades now in a Blue-Grey color
  • Casita Club Directory #:1021

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

Also a big thanks to Jeff for making this happen. My order is on the way.
Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Casita 2005 Freedom/Spirit Deluxe
Tundra, 5.7 2008

Custom Casita Sunshades, tie downs
Sunsahde items for awnings now made in Sea Blue

#4 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local time: 12:33 AM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Are these as bright.............or are they brighter than incandescent lights?

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#5 Rob and Linda

Rob and Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 629 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Airstream 23D
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking, fly fishing, hiking/backpacking, audio, Porsches.
  • Trailer Name:Fortune Cookie

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

<<< snip >>> The "warm" color equivalent to incandescent also seems preferred by many Casita owners (including myself).

Jeff... great work :) putting this together for us!

Before I dash off my order,I'm wondering if you (or anyone else on this Forum) has actually installed and used their particular "warm" white color. The only "warm" ones I have seen (from another supplier) have had a green-ish tinge to them that I didn't care for all that much... much preferring the cool white (you know, the "blue-ish" ones!).

Perhaps these really are like incandescent lamps, and not "green" at all, I'd just like to hear from an actual user.

Thanks!

Rob

Rob & Linda, Hurst, Texas
Our ex-Casita Photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157626742329244

Airstream Photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157663633667345
2014 Airstream 23D International Serenity
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow

#6 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

...Before I dash off my order,I'm wondering if you (or anyone else on this Forum) has actually installed and used their particular "warm" white color. The only "warm" ones I have seen (from another supplier) have had a green-ish tinge to them that I didn't care for all that much... much preferring the cool white (you know, the "blue-ish" ones!).

Perhaps these really are like incandescent lamps, and not "green" at all, I'd just like to hear from an actual user.

Rob,
There are posts on both forums with comments from owners that bought these specific LEDs. I could name some folks or include a link, but suspect some will comment on their own. Better that, 'cus my own trailer still sports incandescents for a few days more! ;)

"DirtDawg" Jeff
Payson, AZ

2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#7 PrairieHawk

PrairieHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 24 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 SD 17 ft.
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Gardening, Photography, Astronomy, Reading

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

I bought 10 of these last year at the $15.50 price. <_< I am very happy with them. The LEDís provide the same amount of brightness that the incandescent bulbs did, IMHO. At these prices I guess Iíll get a couple more. Thanks so much Jeff for negotiating this deal.

Bob
Bob & Sharon
Our Mode of Travel in Our Search for Adventure
2011 Ford E-150 Cargo Van
2008 Casita Spriit Deluxe, 17ft.

May your journey through life be healthy, happy and full of wondrous adventure.

Our Travel Blog
Posted Image

#8 CalCop

CalCop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 125 posts
  • Local time: 10:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 17'
  • Trailer Name:Bacon 'N' Egg

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

Thanks to Jeff for arranging this great deal!
Bruce

#9 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:45 AM

Are these as bright.............or are they brighter than incandescent lights?

Chris --

They're identical to the #1141 Casita standard bulbs. Side-by-side, you can't tell the difference...except from the heat.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#10 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:33 AM

Thanks, Eileen. I dry-camp a lot, but have my generator to recharge the battery every morning, so usage hasn't been an issue. I sure would like it if they were at least a bit brighter, but then that's not the end of the world. However the reduction in heat with all the lights on would be a plus for me, so I'll go ahead and order them. Guess this will be the last time I need to install bulbs in the trailer..........and if one does go bad, I'll have a "sack full" of incandescent bulbs for replacement! :lol2:

Chris

Visit My Website

#11 travlinbob

travlinbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 687 posts
  • Local time: 11:33 PM
  • Interests:Family, travel, surfing the web, researching historical places and events, maps and charts, travel, cars, sailing, light sport aircraft and photography.
  • Casita Club Directory #:3005

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:46 AM

Iíll be swapping out all my bulbs for the LEDís. I ordered 10 and 1. Thanks DD for working out this deal for us and thanks to everyone else who pioneered the switch so us chickens wont have to be the ginny pigs.

Bob :rolleyes:

09 C17SD "Rancho Casita", high lift axle, and 15" load range "D" Marathons
01 Chevy Blazer and 07 Trail Blazer

#12 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

Just a heads up that the seller updated his website page advising that he depleted his ready inventory from the rush of orders yesterday (prox 200 sold within 12 hours!). Group Buy pricing extends to Feb 5, 2011 so folks who have not already ordered can either wait to do so or place one soon (my suggestion) to ensure their orders are shipped as soon as inventory is replenished.

Updated LED Group Buy web page

Edited by DirtDawg, 27 January 2011 - 07:16 AM.

"DirtDawg" Jeff
Payson, AZ

2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#13 MMoe

MMoe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:37 AM

Is this for a two pack or per bulb? I bought some from another place that were packaged two in a pack?

GREAT job and so good of you to take the time to get it all arranged for the benefit of so many.

Edited by MMoe, 27 January 2011 - 07:37 AM.

Moe
2009 17' FD (now a FreeSpirit)
2008 Avalanche

#14 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

Is this for a two pack or per bulb?...

Sold individually - not a 2X pack like the ebay seller.
Thanks all, for your kind words on this GB effort! :D

"DirtDawg" Jeff
Payson, AZ

2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#15 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

Just got an e-mail from the shipper that my bulbs have shipped..........minus the one for the stove vent hood.........as had been mentioned previously in this thread. Thanks again, Dirt Dawg. Nice work.

Chris

Visit My Website